IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

South Central Basic Bootcamp

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:40 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: South Central Basic Bootcamp

I had every intention of going...work called and had to go fly. Sure looked like beautiful weather and a great field. When and where is the AR meet? Thanks for the pics. Love them yaks.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:50 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie,
Sorry I could not be there, It looks like every thing went well and you had great weather.
Hope to be able to help next time
Old 01-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Super D

Here's a couple more pics, How did Sunday go?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17750.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	388642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34071.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	388643  
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 AM
texasskydiver
My Feedback: (8)

Hey guys....just wanted to thank you all for a great weekend. We definitely learned a lot. Looking forward to seeing all of guys at the different events this year. I will put my vote in now for this to become a yearly event. Great job!!!!

See ya,
Howie
Old 01-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Yak_54_flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Well Well Well

I owe a big THANKS first of all to the volunteers that gave their time to help, Bobby Folsom, Mike Scoggins, Dan Powell, Harry Haney. There were several people that helped behind the scenes, Bill Higgins, Ryck Bird, Keith McDonald.

We had about the best spring day for the middle of winter that we could have asked for. Saturday was sunny almost no wind and upper 60's. We started our morning with a class on reading basic and sportsman aresti, and showed several demos with stick planes. Several pilots had great questions on what all the figures meant and I believe that by the end of the day evryone was reading aresti instead of text. The two flight lines went well with Mike calling and Bobby judging and giving immediate feedback to what he saw. Harry had the guys flying what was now shown to be a straight line, lots of pilots revealed that it was harder to fly what is straight versus what they percieve in the air. The best count I had was around 60 to 70 flights on Saturday.
Sunday morning was overcast but we had once again at the start around 10mph winds that rose to about 15 mph by the time we were done. Everyone flew two rounds of their sequence, and we kept score. Before I show how the pilots placed,...... I want to THANK all the guys that took time from their busy schedules and came to the boot camp. I hope that everyone picked up a little something. REMEMBER that is no more valuable experience than going to a contest. By the showing of this IMAC Bootcamp we will have a great basic and sportsman class. I want to also thank Jarrod Carr for doing all the computer work and the guys that attended and wrote their addresses down on the sign up sheet, we have a special certificate that we made for you and will be sending out.

Finally a great big THANKS to the NETRC Club for letting us use their beautiful field for our practice.

Basic

1st Dan Powell
2nd Tobe Hart
3rd Duke Kimbrough

Sportsman

1st Steve Reinke
2nd Eric Bailey
3rd Matt Fritz

Eddie Bernaldez
Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

Eddie,
Awsome event....Any Pics of the pilots with the hovering plane in the background? With all the wildhares there maby next year ...hint...hint..We can get wild hare to sponsor

Dan P
Old 01-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Yak_54_flyer

Dan

I think Jarrod has that picture on his camera

Eddie
Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All who were there will no doubt echo my appreciation to Eddie and the other experienced volunteers. They put on a first-class presentation, and accomplished their goal; to enlighten us on some of the nuances of this game.

If you have the slightest interest in IMAC, find one of these seminars and go to it. I have downloaded and read everything available on this game; and still didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. The Judging Guide talks about wind-corrected lines; but until you see it flown, you really cannot comprehend what it is. Seeing how this is a cornerstone of good scores, it is a tad important...

This is just one example of the knowledge I accrued at the Boot Camp. Even though I had engine problems and didn't get to fly hardly at all, I still walked away with a ton of new information.

Eddie Bernaldez is a rare bird; a good instructor. I have been a professional trainer for many, many years, and know the difference. Eddie is a true pro; there's not much else I can add to that.

Most definitely, this should become a traditional event; if for no other reason than to rope in some new meat...

It has been a long, LONG time since I've held that status (new meat)... it feels a bit strange to be a rookie at something again. This boot camp has gone a long way toward shortening that learning curve.

Thanks guys, for your time and effort. Ya did good...

Old 01-16-2006, 02:55 PM
capmike

eddie,
I had a really good time helping out.Nothing like helping new guys fly better.I hope everyone learned something.It was a great idea,
and I hope the idea continues.
mike schoggin
Old 01-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Bobby Folsom

The SC IMAC Boot Camp was, as you can tell from above, a total success!! Eddie and Jarrod did a fine job of coordinating with the local club for the use of their field and preparing all of the handouts used over the two days of lessons and flying!! My sole purpose for being at the Boot Camp was to pass on the lessons-learned from my six years of flying and juding IMAC events. Small details like uneven throw on elevators, CG too far forward (or rearward) and no mixing of any kind were the most common things that I saw this past weekend. Several of the guys had heard of mixing but did not know what it really meant until Saturday. Most planes needed opposite aileron with application of rudder plus some up elevator as well. Like Wally told me a long time ago, it is hard to fly the maneuvor when you're fighting the plane!! Wind correction was tough for those guys without mixing as most who flew on Sunday will attest.

I only flew one time because I was so busy helping and teaching the newbies but that was okay. I will get in more flying later on during the next two months before the Crosby contest. I can hardly wait to see these new guys compete in their first contest. I'll bet that they do better that those who have not been to one of the training schools!!

Way to go Eddie and Jarrod!!

Bobby
Old 01-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Tobe

Eddie... FIRST CLASS all the way!! Well worth the seven hour drive for me and Steve. Neither one of us had ever seen an IMAC event so we did have reservations about making the haul over from Lousy-ana but we're glad we did. THANKS!!!

Also, thanks to Dan, Jarrod, and especially Bobby Folsom for helping out. We all know pulling off events like this can be tough without the help of good volunteers.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again this year.

Please thank the local club members for letting use their field.

Tobe Hart
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Matt Fritz

I had a great time last weekend too. I learned a lot, got in quite a bit of practice and most importantly made some new friends. Thanks to Eddie and everyone else who made it possible. I have a few pictures that Jennifer took that I wanted to share. I look forward to seeing everyone again at the contests.

Name:	Jh14747.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	389511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35199.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	389512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54337.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	389513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84514.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	389514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb35917.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	389515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62447.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	389516  
Old 01-19-2006, 11:34 AM
150flyer

Had a great time and learned how hard it was to fly a straight line. The next time I see someone flying extreme 3D, I'm going to go up to them and ask "But can you fly a straight line?"

I didn't get to stay for Sunday but I hope it went well. Here are some Saturday pictures.

Russ

Name:	Ur52445.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	390764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63207.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	390765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83992.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	390766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84209.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	390767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46380.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	390768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk75761.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	390769  
Old 01-19-2006, 12:51 PM
murry
My Feedback: (34)

Thank you for the great pictures

murry
Old 01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Dangerous Dan

This worked for me:

Sportsman Building Blocks
SF1. 5 Min ½ Cuban ½ Roll entry Pull Snap on 45deg Downline Both ends
5 Min Upline with full roll exit inverted then 2 point roll into Split Ess L-R

SF2. 5 Min Upline with full roll exit inverted then 2 point roll into Split Ess R-L
5 Min 135% Pull 2 of4 Standard Split Ess L-R

SF3 5 Min 135% Pull 2 of4 Standard Split Ess R-L
5 Min ½ Cuban ½ Roll entry Pull Snap on 45deg Downline/Hammer 2of8 upline ¾ downline
Note L-R ¾ is Right R-L ¾ is Left

SF4 10 Min Immelman/1 ¼ spin, Humpty 2of4 upline Push to ¼ roll on Downline
Note L-R ¼ Roll Left R-L ¼ roll Right

SF5 5 Min ½ Cuban ½ Roll entry Pull Snap on 45deg Downline/Loop Full roll at Top
5 Min Nine..1/2 roll Pull 5/8 loop to upline ¾ roll exit upright/Aerobatic Descending Turn
Note L-R ¾ Right R-L ¾ L
Old 01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Dangerous Dan

Basic Building Blocks

BF1 5 Min Humpty Bump both ends
5 Min ½ Cuban 8 both ends

BF2 5 Min Hammerhead Both ends
5 Min ½ Reverse Cuban Both ends

BF3 5 Min Reverse sharks tooth both ends
5 Min Immelman on right split Ess left

BF4 5 Min Immelman on Left Split Ess on Right
5 Min humpty bump each end with a roll at center

BF5 5 Min Rev ½ Cuban each end with the loop at center
5 Min Rev Sharks tooth each end with Figure 9's at center

BF6 5 Min Immelman and 1.5 turn Spin Immelman on right Spin at center
5 Min Immelman and 1.5 turn Spin Immelman on left Spin at center

BF7 5 Min Loops and Hammer each
5 Min 9's and ½ Cuban eights each end
Old 01-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Dangerous Dan

Does anybody have the pic of all the pilots with the 40% hovering with smoke in the background?

Old 01-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

Congratulations to all the pilots that got a chance to participate. You've taken a great step in making yourself more competitive in scale aerobatics.

You may be interested in a Flying Cirkus forum that has been dedicated to sharing hints & tips on being the most competitive you can be in scale aerobatics.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_426/tt.htm

The forum is only a week old, so a lot more information is on the way. I'm planning on starting a new thread each Friday afternoon with another topic from the list of things I've written down to discuss.

I hope you all can use the current and future information to make yourselves the best you can be.

Here's to a weekend of "perfect practice" for all of you. Again, congratulations!!

Have a great 2006 contest season!!

Take care,

Dean Bird
2005 Tucson Shootout Intermediate Class Champion
2005 IMAC Southwest Region Intermediate Class Champion
Old 01-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Yak_54_flyer

Thanks Dean for posting the link.

Jarrod has the picture of us with Doug's 40% hovering behind us. He will try and posted as soon as he can. I bet it will look cool as wallpaper.

Eddie
Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Bobby Folsom

Hey Tobe: Have you received your DA 100 back from DA? Has Steve gotten the fuel system worked out yet on his H9 260? Fill me in. Oh, and are you guys going to the Crosby/Houston IMAC contest on 11-12 Mar?

Bobby
Old 01-25-2006, 09:53 AM
LSP972

Bobby,

Tobe ran his DA 100 yesterday; it did fine. He thinks the trouble was due to a dying ignition battery pack.

I ordered a BME 50 Monday. The 1.60 has been removed from my plane and is for sale... The Boot Camp convinced me; gas is the way to go for this game.

As of right now, we are planning to make the Crosby meet.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Dangerous Dan

Steve,
Too Bad the BME 55 extreme is not avalable yet. It has more power than the BME 50 and weighs 1 pound less. Actually it weighs the same as an OS 160 32oz. You are going to love the BME 50 I have 60 hours run time on mine and it is stronger than ever.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
LSP972

Actually, Dan, although this will give any hard-core 3D'ers reading this a stroke, that extra pound up front will be welcome. I had the freakin' battery tie-wrapped to a ply stick out alongside the engine for balance.

It seemed to work okay, with no issues, but I was never comfortable with that arrangement. Now, I'll be able to put the battery back in the fuselage where it belongs.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Dangerous Dan

Good point steve! Here are some numbers you might be able to use

OS 160 32 oz
Perry Pump 1oz
Bisson Pitts 6oz
Total 39 oz

BME 50 48oz
Ignition 4 oz
Ignition Batt 4 oz
J&A muffler 7.5 oz
Total 63.5 24 oz or 1.5 lb heavier than OS 160 setup

BME 55 Extreme 32oz
Ignition 4 oz
Ignition Batt 4 oz
Muffler approk 7oz
Total 47oz 8 oz or 1/2 pound heavier than OS 160 setup

15 pound plane with a BME 50=Rocket

You might have to put your rx and ignition batt behind the wing in the fuse, but you will have no trouble pulling an upline.... I can't wait to see how she flies, are you gonna make the little rock contest?

Dan P
Old 01-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Tobe

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

Hey Tobe: Have you received your DA 100 back from DA? Has Steve gotten the fuel system worked out yet on his H9 260? Fill me in. Oh, and are you guys going to the Crosby/Houston IMAC contest on 11-12 Mar?

Bobby
Hey Bobby, As Steve said I ran my DA 100 Tues and it ran perfectly. It now turns a Menz S 26X10 6650 rpm instead of the 5100 rpm I was getting. I hope to get some flights in this weekend if the weather holds.

I finally persuaded Steve to go gas... I have a feeling his glow ignitor won't see much action this summer. Once we both get our s**t together we plan to start some serious IMAC practice.

We do plan to go to the Crosby meet... Do you know if any hotels will be offering a discount?

Tobe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.