Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Wildhare Ultimate Good for IMAC????

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 AM
RustyTumbles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wildhare Ultimate Good for IMAC????

Hi all,

I am considering buying a Wildhare 29% ultimate (Probuilt in Australia) for use in IMAC comps. I will be new to IMAC in 06 so I will be flying basic, however I hope to move up to sportsman reasonably quickly. Will the ultimate be a good plane to start with?? I Plan on using a DA50 for power so it should have plenty of verticle power, but will it be enough to carry through to sportsman?? I would like to stay around the 50cc size aircraft for now. So if there is anything better please let me know....

Cheers....
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 AM
rcblimppro

Default RE: Wildhare Ultimate Good for IMAC????

You may be better off considering the Edge or even better the Extra 300. Biplanes are very few and far between in IMAC. The vertical with the monoplanes is going to be better. Although the Ultimate has more wing area it is also carrying a pound more and that will show on uplines. I have flown one of the HW Extra 300 specials with a DA 50 and the vert was respectable. If you must go with the Ultimate it will take more time to get set up properly and you will be better off going with a bigger engine perhaps the Evo 58.

Shawn Berkheimer

R/C Blimp Productions.com
Old 12-10-2005, 11:22 AM
RustyTumbles

What do you mean it will take more time to setup??? What are the stalls like on the ultimate?? Are they harder to stall????
Old 12-10-2005, 04:21 PM
rcblimppro

Usually on biplanes the wing incedence is even more critical. In some cases the top wing actually get set at a negitive incedence. Being that both wings have ailerons you will have to set all that up to work properly Differential and all. Then the fact that you have to attach two wings rather than one at the field. Stall charictaristics have more to do with wing loading than anything else so I imagine the Ultimate will be very well mannered in that respect.

Shawn Berkheimer

Old 12-11-2005, 09:29 AM
RustyTumbles

So really other than the setup factor there is no reason why the ultimate would do well in IMAC..... I will be tossing up between the DA50 and the MVVS 58... Thats if I can get the wildhare ultimate in australia. The company that imports them doesn't stock the ultimate. So I may have to go with the World models ultimate....
Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Redneck Shaun
My Feedback: (1)

Rusty
I just sold a Dave Patrick ultimate. The reason is that some of the upper guys in IMAC said that the bi-wings will not show as well as a mono wing. NOT THAT THEY WON'T FLY AS WELL! THEY FLY GREAT. But that the judges are NOT use to seeing the two wings flying the routine. The majority of people fly mono-wings. Not to say it can't be done.......Heck look at Chip Hyde . I just wanted ever advantage that I could get.( I can't fly like Mr.Hyde) I got a 38% Wild Hare extra special and am loving the way it flys!!!! 06 will be the first year for me to try IMAC and I'm looking forward. I think you will be happy with the ultimate I loved the way my ultimate flew.I'm just not sure how high you will place in the upper levels? But that may be something to consider? If your starting out in basic. It really doesn't matter what you fly. I think the idea of basic is just to cut your teeth on. Something just to see if your going to like IMAC or not.
Best of luck with what ever you choose.
Shaun
Old 12-11-2005, 03:12 PM
RustyTumbles

Yeah I think it will be a while before I get to the upper classes. I too can not fly like chip. I just thought I would be a little different and I like the sporty looks of the ulti...
Old 12-11-2005, 05:17 PM
rcblimppro

Nothing wrong with being a little different. If you set it up properly you shouldn't be at any real disadvantage. what I would do is set the stab and bottom wing at zero degrees, set the top wing at neg one degree and the engine at one degree up and 2.5 right. This should get you really close. set the CG to where you want it as the first trimming task. While trimming pull an upline and see if it wants to go one way or another and adjust with engine thrust. Don't get carried away outfitting it, stay with a single battery keep it light as possible as this is a fairly heavy airplane for a DA50.

SHawn Berkheimer

Old 12-12-2005, 03:04 PM
RustyTumbles

If it is marginal with the DA50 then would the MVVS 58 be a better choice?? It is slightly heavier but has alot more power. I was planning on using dual RX batteries for a redundant power system. I have been using Nicads and Nimh batteries in the past, however maybe it is time to step-up to lipo's. Would the weight with lipo's and regs be ok for te DA50?? I also will be using a slimline pitts muffler...