carden vs composte arf ;opinions?

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

carden vs composte arf ;opinions?

Old 05-17-2005, 09:37 PM
DAVE KEPHART
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carden vs composte arf ;opinions?

looking to fly a 40per cent in IMAC .looking for opinions ,carden aircraft vs composite arf's,such things as strength, weight and expected lifespan in average sportsman/intermediate competition . I am currently flying an Aeroworks Edge 540 ,33 percent in sportsman. thank you in advance for your input.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:10 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: carden vs composte arf ;opinions?

PSSSHHHT
Did you hear him open that can-o-worms?

Hands down, CARDEN for durability and lifespan. Nothing on the market (yet) has been able to beat a CARDEN in these areas. I do believe that there are planes that fly as well. The overall package, it is hard to beat a CARDEN.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:20 AM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

I fly a Composite-Arf 3M Extra in Unlimited. After a year of MANY flights, I have to say it is holding up rather well. I had to reglue a couple of joints in the landing gear area recently, but that is the only maintenance so far.

I completely agree with Mr. Captain, the Carden is much more durable, but it is also 3-5 lbs heavier. Both fly amazing.

I was framing up a Carden when I had to make a decision, build or fly. I have three small children under the age of 8, and can't find the time to build like I used to, as much as I would rather go that route. The Comp-ARF was a lifesaver. You can put it together in a few weeks and be in the air.

I have flown the Carden products in competition and feel it is one of the best.

I'm starting to lay monokote on a Dalton Aviation Extra 260 now. It was a deluxe ARC and will need a little more time than a Comp-Arf. It should be a good blend of kit built quality with ARF time commitment. Dollar for dollar, it may be a better value than a pro-built Carden. We'll see how it holds up, but it appears to be a lot better than the Troy-Builts I've looked at.

As far as being competitive, any of these are capable of first place. Burning the fuel is what counts.

Daniel Rathbun
Old 05-18-2005, 06:03 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Carden. Comp ARF does NOT have any kind of warranty. You can't repair them either. Carden's are easy to repair, and fly lighter than you'd expect.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't repair them either.
I have to disagree from experience on that one woops... I busted my 40% fuse in half and repaired it very easily by glueing it back together!!!!

Old 05-18-2005, 08:18 AM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: SCimacRD

As far as being competitive, any of these are capable of first place. Burning the fuel is what counts.

Daniel Rathbun

You just made my day
Old 05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Kevgofly

Dave,
Good seeing you last weekend.

As you know, I fly a Carden in contest. I also have a Comp Arf. I can tell you first hand, if you don't mind building (or buying a well built used one), tha Carden is the way to go in my opinion. All planes are a trade off, light, but weak, heavy but strong, unstable but manueverable, stable but sluggish. The Carden in my opinion is the best compromise of all. On top of that, I think they look better than the others, but that is completely personal preference. You will hear that Caren's are too heavy. And some are. There is a lot of room to add weight in a Carden, but if you are cauious while building it, it will not be any heaveir than a similar sized plane. I haven't weighed them yet, but if my Carden isn't lighter than my Super Extra, I'd just about eat my hat.

All that being said, let me also add, the Compa ARF is a sweat way to go to get in the air quickly. The level of pre-fab on the Super Extra is amazing. You pretty much just bolt your stuff to it. The paint aesthetically speaking leaves a little to be desired, it's splotchy. But that also keeps the weight down and I guess it's just a fact of life when painting "in the mold".

So, I guess a lot depends on how much time you want to invest, but if time and money weren't issues, I'd say the Carden is the hands down winner.

Hope to see you at the Snohomish contest, it's a great sight, 2000' of smooth grass, no overflight issues, no sun issues. only downer is, odd frequencies only.
Hope this helps,
Kev
Old 05-19-2005, 12:33 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

If you want to get in the air quickly and have a great looking, great flying plane with little bother - Comp Arf is the way to go. They are more fragile though.. avoid those cross wind landings or you will be replacing the gear area eventually. Most people I know with the Comp Arfs have repairs made to the gear at least once. That is the achilles heel of these planes. When the gear go it gets expensive very quickly as it usually puts big dents or holes in the wings. They fly very straight, and quite frankly, the paint schemes and colors are second to none. I don't see too many old Comp-Arfs though.

If you want a more conventional plane, like to build and have the satisfaction of flying something you either created or at least took part in creating if you have a pro builder do it - there is nothing better than the Carden. Nothing. It is extremely durable, and unless you crater it, it is almost certainly rebuildable in a crash. All the parts are still available and its easily repaired. The gear area is monsterous and its nearly impossible to tear out the gear on this plane. I have seen even the pros badly bounce a landing - so bad that the gear pancaked and the prop broke. - but the plane was unharmed. That is strong. I know of and have seen several 5 + year old Cardens.

Either way , you can't go wrong though. I think BOTH of these planes are world class and the best thing out there right now.
You might also look at the big 3W planes too - Hempel is flying one - sheeted foam core wings and fiberglass / carbon fiber fuse.. a good hybrid.

Personally, I would build or pay someone to build the Carden. I have built two and restored several.. there truly is no comparison to anything out there. The closest is the Aerotech.. they are excellent models as well and build about the same. I find the wood is not as good on the Aerotechs (its good, just not as good) but then again, it costs several hundred less too.

DP

Old 05-20-2005, 09:12 PM
DAVE KEPHART

what about areotech's giant 40% 'ers?,thaks for all the input.sorry kev,can't make snohomish,kids home on leave,for another couple weeks.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 AM
50%plane

Go with the Carden.

I'm biased and I know it.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:02 PM
DAVE KEPHART

well,i'm getting convinced that carden is a better choice.i have to step up a few dollars.any one need a kidney or maybe a lung.thanks everyone!!
Old 05-22-2005, 03:04 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Haven't built many different kits, and without trying to bash any one manufacturer, go with CARDEN
Old 05-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Breakstuff5050

I have been through a 33% FMG Raven and the fuse was composite, and if i didnt land it almost perfectly, then i had some fixing to do. Composite isnt near durable as a built up wood airframe. And god forbid if you drop a wrench or something on a composite wing! But thats just my 0.02
Old 05-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Edgeomatic

I have had three cardens and i can't see myself wanting to fly anything else. You here they are heavy pigs and i am not going to lie...THEY ARE! but nothing else tracks better and is smoother that i have seen. O yeah about the heavy thing they still hover at about 1/2 throttle or less and shoot out of any 3d manuver
Old 05-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Breakstuff5050

ORIGINAL: Edgeomatic

I have had three cardens and i can't see myself wanting to fly anything else. You here they are heavy pigs and i am not going to lie...THEY ARE! but nothing else tracks better and is smoother that i have seen. O yeah about the heavy thing they still hover at about 1/2 throttle or less and shoot out of any 3d manuver
Hell yes, every bit of that is true!!! Thats a Carden Edge in my avatar!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Edgeomatic

[/quote]

Thats right all three of them have been Edges. Two 40% and a 35%.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Breakstuff5050

[/quote]

[X(][X(][X(] I wish I could get my hands on a 40% Carden edge, oooooo, it would non-stop flying, i'll have someone refill the tank when i bring it on deck hovering
Old 05-26-2005, 06:19 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: Breakstuff5050

[X(][X(][X(] I wish I could get my hands on a 40% Carden edge, oooooo, it would non-stop flying, i'll have someone refill the tank when i bring it on deck hovering

[/quote]
Now thats what I call a true pilot.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Breakstuff5050

ORIGINAL: woops

ORIGINAL: Breakstuff5050

Now thats what I call a true pilot.
[/quote]

I'm sure any of us would do the same if their plane asked them to, like mine did!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:07 AM
flynm
My Feedback: (24)

Does anyone have any comparison to aeroworks?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Vic3D
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: CAPtain232

PSSSHHHT
Did you hear him open that can-o-worms?

Hands down, CARDEN for durability and lifespan. Nothing on the market (yet) has been able to beat a CARDEN in these areas. I do believe that there are planes that fly as well. The overall package, it is hard to beat a CARDEN.
Why dont u talk about precision and weight in your Carden??????
Old 12-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Ruddermayhemcom
My Feedback: (23)

Hey! I know! Why dont you just break it over your leg!!![sm=wink.gif]
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Ruddermayhemcom
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

You can't repair them either.
I have to disagree from experience on that one woops... I busted my 40% fuse in half and repaired it very easily by glueing it back together!!!!

Hey! I know! Why dont you just break it over your leg!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally own a 40% Carden Extra, and love the way it flies. I have flown the Comp ARF and it also flies great. Earlier this summer I had the motor in my Carden hickup (very hot humid day, and I probably hovered a little too long), anyway it fell on its back. Being a Carden it was repairable. Yes, it is true to repair a composite ARF. I work in a Composite shop building UAV's for the military, but depending on the amount of damage a composite fuse can be MUCH harder to rebuild and keep the weight comparable. I've been very happy with my Carden and the service from Dennis and Carolyn,

thanks,

Arch
Old 12-13-2005, 10:02 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of mine after the crash!!!

PS, I have no experience with composites and this is my first attempt at repairing one....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16698.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	369772  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.