Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Need Help!!! Great Planes Cap 21 Giant Scale (88" wingspan)

Community
Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Need Help!!! Great Planes Cap 21 Giant Scale (88" wingspan)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! Great Planes Cap 21 Giant Scale (88" wingspan)

I'm looking for someone that built this plane. Although I didn't get the Cap 21 for IMAC use, I thought I might use it in Basic or Sportsman to start with.

The kit has a FG Fuse, cowl, wheel pants, and a -one piece- balsa sheeted foam core wing (not started yet, still just foam cores).

Is it possible to make it a two piece wing without sacrificing strength?

Is a DA 50 too much for this plane?

Any thoughts or helpful building tips out there?

LD
Old 04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
bjmjs

Default RE: Need Help!!! Great Planes Cap 21 Giant Scale (88" wingspan)

What you will need to do is use a phenolic tube set-up. Do an advanced search for "two piece wing" & "wing conversion" and you will find a lot of help. I'm researching how to do the same thing with a 78" ARF that says to glue the wing halves together. Here is a thread that might help.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4028833
Old 04-07-2006, 04:48 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks...I'll be looking at that....

LD
Old 04-18-2006, 04:33 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Can't do this with the wing tube on the big Cap..The landing gear bolt to the spar. If you must then you need to move some ply plates foward in the wing for the gear attatchment and then utilize the spar area for the tube..What I mean is it can be done but needs work.
There should be provisions on the plans for making a two piece wing by utilizing a sliding plywood spar and boxes. It adds weight..
This plane needts to be kept light, and you may think of going brison for the needed weight in the nose.
I built one in the 80's, monkoted the fuse painted the cowl. Servos in rear of fuse and a q-52 (magneto) up front. Balanced OK like this, a light engine may hurt you. The extra power of todays 50 cc engines will be awesome, the plane was quite stable and would do all the IMAC maneuvers plus. This plane did the coolest wingtip spins, it would fall like a rock while doing them though.
Almost bought another a few months back but decided against it, I love the Cap 21