IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Which EXTRA300 ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which EXTRA300 ARF?

Well, here's the deal. I currently have the old Hanger9 Extra330L 33% airframe. Last season on the last flight(obviosly) I had a battery failure that resulted in a bad landing. Knocked the firewall off, along with some other minor damage. Although the airframe is easily repairable, I had already considered replacing it before this happened. Seems to be a bit heavy and no provision for a canister muffler.
I have a ZDZ80rv engine with stock muffler, and am running 2 servos per aileron, one on each elevator half, two on the rudder. I would like to upgrade to a can muffler for the engine.
What I am looking for is some ideas on an airframe. Building a kit isn't an option as I am a long haul truck driver and I get precious little flying time as it is and no building time at all. Cost is aslo a factor(can't afford to pay someone to build a kit for me).
The things I am looking for are:
1. Extra 300, any variant(in other words, plz don't tell me about your edge, cap, Etc..). This is a personal prefference and nothing more.
2. Scale of 30-33%. This fits the equipment I already have.
3. ARF or ARC(I could MAKE the time to cover an airframe.)
4. Ability to accept or be modified to accept a canister muffler.(alot of bark in that ZDZ)
5. COST!! I fly on a limited budget so I have to get the most out of every dollar. I am still willing to pay more for quality though.
6. 3D ability. I fly mostly for fun, but would also like to start competing when I get the time.
I haven't started any research on this yet, was wanting to get some opinions on what has worked for others. Also, I apologize in advance if I have open a can of Brand name worms with this post. Thank you all, opinions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Which EXTRA300 ARF?

I don't know your time frame but Aerotech is coming out with a new 300. See the thread below for pics & details.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439272/tm.htm

Ryan
Old 03-23-2006, 11:28 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Here is a nice Extra. [link=http://www.rcsuperstore.com/product_p/eaa2350.htm]http://www.rcsuperstore.com/product_p/eaa2350.htm[/link] Similar to the Chip Hyde and CA Models planes, and is an excellent flyer.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Wow , that new aerotech airframe looks like it'll be exactly what I'm looking for. Bterry, do you know any of the specs on that extreme extra? primarily weight and Will it accept a can muffler? If I don't pick something up at the toledo show I'll probably wait for the aerotech to come out as I'm in no real hurry. That is unless someone comes up with a better suggestion.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your ZDZ would actually fly a Comp-ARF 2.6 pretty well. Mine has overkill power with a DA-100, and built with a ZDZ would be even lighter. Set it up with one servo per aileron and a pipe and this could be a killer combo.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:33 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My buddy has the rcsuperstore extra. He had a 3W 106 with cans in it. It flew great and awesome power. The price is right! We never weighed his but it flew like it was 25-26 lbs. I would guess it would be in the 23lb range with the 80. That is just speculation. If you search this site for that plane and engine I bet someone has tried it.

Dan
ORIGINAL: Darkbird

Wow , that new aerotech airframe looks like it'll be exactly what I'm looking for. Bterry, do you know any of the specs on that extreme extra? primarily weight and Will it accept a can muffler? If I don't pick something up at the toledo show I'll probably wait for the aerotech to come out as I'm in no real hurry. That is unless someone comes up with a better suggestion.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

[quote]ORIGINAL: why_fly_high

My buddy has the rcsuperstore extra. He had a 3W 106 with cans in it. It flew great and awesome power. The price is right! We never weighed his but it flew like it was 25-26 lbs. I would guess it would be in the 23lb range with the 80. That is just speculation. If you search this site for that plane and engine I bet someone has tried it.

Dan
[quote]

With ZDZ-80 they are coming out around 25-26 lbs, depending on muffler or can. You can get it a little lighter by getting rid of the bombproof landing gear...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

If you want a composite Extra we have some guy's flying our 2.6 with the ZDZ 80
Check them out at www.drhobbies.com