Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Urgent help on shipping issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Norman Soto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help on shipping issue!!!

Hello everyone. I need some advice on crating and shipping companys you have experienced with before. I'm bringing a big 40% scale ultimate from Orlando to México. I need a custom cardboard made crate (Border issues) and it would be even better if that same company ships the plane to México. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:21 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Default RE: Urgent help on shipping issue!!!

WOW! I don't know where you would get a cardboard crate that big. If you want to see a way to build a good wooden crate check here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=241

As for good luck, I've used BSF, Saia and Forward Air. I would say Forward Air is the cheapest and most reliable I've used.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, How does Forward Air work? Do you need to drop off/pick up at an airport or their sorting facility, or do they do door-door? What kind of prices do they charge for shipping, say a 35% plane? I'm also getting ready to ship a couple Giants and want to be informed before crating them up. I have read the RCU article and think it is an excellent resource.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Flyfalcons

Well I got off the phone with Forward and they seem pretty good. It would cost me about $70 to ship my Comp-ARF across the country in its original cardboard box, so that's not too bad. I had to call them, because I tried calculating it on their website and came up with about 500 bucks [&:] [:-]. I never said I was good with computers.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

They are good.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:55 PM
al

just a note about forward Air, They destroyed our 40% extra show plane for Toledo by running it over with a fork lift.. Then they didn't even have the ball's to tell us till we got to there terminal to pick it up.

Its hard to find a decent shipper, We have used them all, The best I have found so far is Old Dominion freight lines. They ship by weight, trouble no additional insurrance we've shipped over 200 ARF's with little problems. I am sure there are better but I have not found it yet.

I have heard Greyhound is pretty good also

Al Young
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Old 03-27-2006, 04:45 AM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

I have used Forward Air many times, I think the key is to build a crate out of Ply 5/8 top and bottom and 3/4" thick sides, even though it will weigh in at 150lb the odds are in your favor that the fork lift wont stab it too bad...

I have had a few wood crates damaged by shipping, lots of Bone Heads driving those fork lifts....f ing plane travels 12000 miles across sea untouched and in perfect condition, then it only has to travel across america and it gets totaly beat...

Peoples Pride in there jobs is a thing in the past when it comes to freight companies...

Here's how my New extra 260 crate arrived....thank god it was only minor damage to the the thing...still
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37223.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	433864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36558.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	433865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39584.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	433866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96007.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	433867  
Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 AM
murry
My Feedback: (34)

make the bottom very strong 3/4 ply and put 2X4 skids on the bottom for the forklift
Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 AM
al

Yeah,

We did a plywood crate, weighed about 300 pounds with stands off for the forklift. They Flattened it and then wrapped it up in the Rolled plastic tape to keep it all together.

as I look back on it its kinda funny what they (FWD AIR) did to try to make it look like it didn't happen.

We currently ship our 40% planes in a large cardboard boxes filled with foam peanuts. and mark the boxes TOP LOAD ONLY.. so far so good.

Al
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Have used greyhound. they do have limits on size and weight but it is all hand load, no forklifts. box could be built out of 1/8"-1/4" ply with 1x2" framing to save weight.I don't think youl be able to ship anything over 35% with them though, unless you can take the rudder off. My 33% hanger9 extra was shipped this way. Arrived intact, and was a bit cheaper than shipping by air. Btw, you may want to cut some hand holes in the ends and sides of the crate to aid in handling. A single greyhound driver has to be able to load this thing under the bus by him/herself. Also, the crate was overweight on mine due to the shipper having used 7/16" ply.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
xtra 330
My Feedback: (19)

Navis Pack and Ship company...excellent!!
Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Norman Soto

Thanks a lot for inputs...! I've found a company that fills the expectations for a good safe (I expect) freight. A company named "Craters and freighters". Insured shipment into wood crates (The wood complies with the mexican requirementes so it can travel here. Thanks a lot people. Nice flights...!