Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

QQ YAK (102") - control throws

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 12:31 PM
bdunsire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QQ YAK (102") - control throws

I'm guessing / hoping most with this plane might check out this forum.

Specifically related to the 102" Yak, and the suggested low rate control throws - I'm wondering what folks are really using. Low rate - I mean what you'd be using for IMAC style flying, not for 3D.

In my case it seems the Aileron low rate is way to large - suggested at 85-90 percent of the high rate, where my gut would tell me it should be 50-60 percent of the high rate? Yes, massive expo calms this down, but I guess I come from the 'old' days where aileron / roll rate was for typically flying set at about 1 roll a second or so. What are others using? (During my first flight with my new Yak, I planned a simple roll to inverted, on low rate - I actually did one and a half rolls (!!) - full deflection, and WOW!)

Rudder low rate seems very low to me - and the suggested rate for maneuver says to use high rate rudder for all but snaps - my flying style tends to be one where I do not use different rates for different moves - I like to have a simple rate for everything, and a 3D rate, period. I'm wondering what folks are using for rudder low rate? My usual test for rudder is point and slow rolls, and at low rate the rudder seemed to have the authority I want, but it is so small a movement compared to the high rate...

Elevator low rate also seemed / seems smaller than I'd expect - break into a spin seemed good, but 7/8th inch low vs. 4.5 inch high - works out to 15-18% for low rate - seems small to me?

Part of my challenge (I guess) is that I have 3 other Gas IMAC style planes, and control throws are set to my typical feel for each (I tend to use 25-35 expo on low rate, as an example), and I can transition between the other planes with little trouble. The QQ Yak, setup as suggested by them, will clearly have a very different feel - now even though I've been doing this R/C stuff for 35 years, I am still very willing to learn new things, and adapt to new styles of setup - here (in the case of the Yak) the change will be less rudder, and tons more aileron, but lots more expo too - I'm just wondering if this is even worth the time for experimenting? (Whew, hope that makes sense?)

Cheers,
Bob

Right before flight #! - bald Bob and the new Yak:
Old 04-20-2006, 01:15 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: QQ YAK (102") - control throws

You need the low rudder rate to get the snaps right - there's no getting out of it.
I have found that the recommended throws and what maneuvers to use them in as explained in the QQ 102" manual is the best part of the manual and has so far, for the first 4 flights doing mostly precision, worked very well for me. Because of my elevation, I added an extra 1/8" of elevator throw on his low rates, and have gone with about half his recommended expo on low rates for personal reasons.
I use flight modes, and on mode 1, I have low rates for elev and ail and high rudder rates.
On mode 2, all low rates, and on mode 3, all high rates.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
bdunsire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: QQ YAK (102") - control throws

Thanks BodyW,

Just yesterday I started to experiment with this (flight modes), I am new to the 10X and flight modes.

I will try this - a rate for low, a rate for high (I currently have both of these), and one for low, low and high rudder.

Currently, after many flights, I have increased elevator throw on low rate, and decreased expo there; I have increased rudder, and increased expo (low rate); I have decreased low rate Aileron and decreased expo - I can do the full IMAC sequence (as well as I am capable) on my low rates, and 3D is pretty amazing too. But I have talked with some very accomplished fliers that suggest (IMAC) switching rates is a way to go - so .... I'll experiment.

Cheers,
Bob