Advanced question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:07 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced question

Hey everyone.

In the Advanced sequence, does the plane have to pivot into the wind or flight direction on the first stall turn with 3 of 4 up?? Can it pivot either direction or is it specific??

Also, looking at the aresti, we enter the box, then theororetically, fly past center to start the stall turn, doing the roller back the way we came so it exits into the wind also. Is this correct?

Thanx in advance.

ed
Old 05-26-2006, 06:48 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Advanced question

I haven't studied the specific sequence and how the exit is, but turns and pivots are always the pilots choice (AFAIK) usually the airplane pivots better into the wind so it doesn't look like a fly over...

also you always need to think ahead so you are lined up for a correct exit direction
Old 05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
bdunsire

HI Ed,

For the stall turn - it just (usually) looks better into the wind.

The roller - goes with the wind (as such) - if you enter from the left (into the wind), then your rolling turn (figure 2) will be to the left. It looks that way in the diagram too, perhaps you're confusing the starting and ending Aresti indicators?

Bob
Old 05-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Divesplat

Thanks guys that is what I thought.

Ed
Old 05-28-2006, 11:14 PM
ncsanik
My Feedback: (1)

with the zoneless box, you can put the figures anywhere. I'm putting the hammer before center, and making a nice line to get my breath for the loop.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Ed,

I think I can be more specific to your question. NO, you do not have to stall turn in the direction of flight on the first manuver. this differs from pattern. I was bitten my this a couple of years ago when I was Zeroing the first manuver in the Masters sequence not understanding that the stall turn was to be the same direction as you entered the box...or so they told me . IMAC the decision is up to the pilot.

I hope that answers what you were looking for?

Hubb
Old 05-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Divesplat

Hey Hubb. That is exactly why I was asking.

NC, the aresti looks to me like you should fly past center, do the hammer and the roller comes back through center to keep the sequence flowing the same direction. That is the way I have been practicing anyway.

Ed
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM
bdunsire

Ed,

For me the positioning of each figure in this year's Advanced is the main advantage of tons of practise.

In the case of #1 (hammer) and #2 (roller) - I enter, go a bit beyond the centre, and then do the roller back through the centre (as in the end point in the first 90 degrees is about centre box, and the end of the last 90 is there too (right in front)..

In the case of the pushout to top in the next figure - I position that for the downline snap that comes up in two figures later.. (nothing worse than being too low when facing a 3/4 roll AND a 3/4 snap!)

It all gets a bit confused for me when I practise the 'other way' - I don't have a caller, so memory sometimes 'fails' me a bit when practising from my 'non natural' side..

Cheers,
Bob
Old 05-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Divesplat

Thanx Bob. that was exactly my assessment and the way i have been practicing. Haven't been to a contest so don't know how others have seen it.

Ed