My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircraft size

What size aircraft is recommended for IMAC
Old 01-07-2003, 08:36 AM
chance12

Default Aircraft size

That depends on you pretty much . If you are just starting out a 60 size Extra or Cap Etc will do just fine . It will get you accustomed to the sequences and Imac in general. The bigger the plane the better things get . It will be easer to fly and judge but along with the size comes the price. Bigger costs more. I have seen 60 size all the way to 1/3 scale aircraft being used by basic pilots. I personally started with a 33% Edge540T in Sportsman and I am still flying it in Imac . I am moving up to a 40% RadioCraft Extra 330LX . It just depends on you basically
Old 01-07-2003, 04:07 PM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default size can matter !!!

Hello, Yep - what Chance said for sure. We started in Basic with a MW 27 % G-202 and a 25 % CAP 232. Flew Sportsman last year with a AW 36 % Edge which we will use again this year in Intermediate and also a new H9 Sukhoi and maybe a new 46 % H9 Ultimate ?? As far as rules go , most anything is allowed in Basic , but above I think the plane must meet IMAA rules and be of 25% or larger ? Not real sure on this though ?? Like Chance said , the larger planes fly and present so much easier and just look more graceful and smoother. PLUS they fly slower in general and give you a bit more time to think about what you are doing and need to do next. The main thing is to have FUN and enjoy it and remember it is a hobby. Happy New Year !!!!!! Rod & Chris in PA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45755_800.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	28375  
Old 01-07-2003, 08:32 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aircraft size

I'm going to start this year in basic with a CGM Sukhoi. I believe this airplane is just less than 25% which means it's not IMAA legal. IMAC allows any airplane in basic though.

My opinion is that if the value of the airplane makes you nervous to fly, you should fly a smaller/cheaper airplane. Also, learning the sequences while you learn how to maintain and manage a large airplane could be distracting. You want to concentrate on the flying not the airplane. At least that's what a newbie like me thinks.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:58 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Aircraft size

I would recommend a plan with a thrust of 1.5 or better and a wing loading that is considered on the light end for it's class.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:56 AM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

Default Aircraft size

Last I checked you dont have to be IMAA legal in any class. Just has to be a *Scale* model of an airplane that has or is in IAC competition. Points off for no pilot figure or instrument panel, but that hardly gets enforced anymore. Basic class can fly anything.
Chance hit the nail on the head, fly what you are comfortable with, once you get hooked on it (and you will) you will figure out what type of airplane suits you. I saw Dave Patrick win unlimited/freestyle once with his Goldberg Extra and a YS .91. Bigger isnt necessary if you are really really good
Old 01-11-2003, 04:44 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aircraft size

There is no size requirement in IMAC.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:52 AM
oceandiv
My Feedback: (1)

Default Aircraft size

To answer my own question can be found on pg 88 of the AMA Competition Regulations 2002-2004 manual.

It states Aircraft can be any size, only one engine, can either be internal combustion or electric, must have effective silencer, comply with all AMA safty codes and not have any airborne devices i.e. gyros, auto pilots and such. The Classes above Basic also require some proof of scale, not exact scale, but stand off scale and must have flown in an IAC event, must have a realistic 3D human pilot and a viewable instrument panel.