IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Practice With the Simulator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Practice With the Simulator?

I'm trying to get ready for my first IMAC event this year. It's this Saturday and Sunday. Basic class. I haven't flown the IMAC plane in 2yrs. Need to put new batteries in it, and cut a new cowl for it. Other than that--provided the engine will start and run--the plane is ready to go.

Is it going to help me if I practice on the Simulator for a week or is that just a waste of time?

I'm going to the field at least 3 days this week and fly the real plane too. I'm nervous as hell. I have the sequences memorized when flying the sim. but not sure I can run through them when I'm flying the real one. (pucker factor will be quite high) Just working on my lines and tracking. This sim doesn't fly like my real plane though.

What do you guys think? I'm basically a newbie at IMAC. I flew 5 contests 3 yrs ago, and that's the extent of my IMAC experience.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Practice With the Simulator?

I fly pattern more than IMAC but in general, the sim as you have already said is great for learning the sequence. It will by repetition help you to memorize the pattern and that will translate out to the real thing. I use my sim a LOT and it has helped my tremendously, but it cant replace actual stick time on the real thing.

As far as actually refining the maneuvers, it can help you to learn the correct inputs for a given maneuver and teach you rudder corrections and stuff like that. But as you know, real planes and sim planes fly differently and you are dealing with 2D vs. 3D, so you cannot replicate that on a sim. Not really.

I dont think it will ever replace stick time. You just dont get experiences of dealing with nerves, wind, sun, other planes flying, spectators and the reality factor on the sim.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thot you were talking about stimulators - never mind -
Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the sim to practice as well.. I took the time to set up a plane (AFPD) that flies very similar to mine.... Relax and breathe... we do this stuff for fun..
You will find that pretty much everyone is willing to help.. I fly basic too and have the sequence memorized... but at my first contest I went to... I spaced what was after the stall turn.... that is what the caller is for... and to remind me to breathe!!

Relax and have fun... you will learn so much at every contest.....
Old 06-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Rcpilot

The sharkstoth comes after the stall turn.

I do have the pattern memorized. I had my wife sit next to me last night for about 1/2 hours and I flew the pattern numerous times--from both directions. It's really hard to see what rudder inputs I need, because as Mike East says--it's 2D on the sim. I find myself way offline coming out of loops on the Figure 9, Reverse Cuban 8, and 1/2 Cuban 8. Thats from not being able to judge what rudder inputs are needed on a flat screen.

I'm working on the plane today. I almost have the cowl cut and mounted. I'm hoping to fire the engine in the driveway this afternoon. I'll probably start flying the plane tomorrow if the engine runs okay. It's a G-62 onn C&H. I drained the carb last time I ran it. I think I have a 50/50 chance of getting it to run good without putting a carb kit in it. It's been sitting for 2yrs.

Thanks for the comments
Old 06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
exeter_acres

which sim are you using??

there is a scenery for AFPD that has 45 degree lines and a couple circles and a few horizontal lines on it to help with lining things up......

it is the farmland scenery with a whole grid on it......
helped me a bunch

P.s.,,,, its a "reverse" sharks tooth
Old 06-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Rcpilot

I'm using AFPD with my 8103 TX. I'm flying that black and white Extra 300S with the orange trim. I've bumped the HP up to 17HP and the torque up to 65%. It has about the same power as my WM Wagstaff, but the rudder on this plane is terribly weak. The hammerhead is pathetic. My WM Wagstaff snaps over the top like someone drove a stake right through the canopy and smacked the tail.

According to the printed calling instructions I downloaded from the IMAC website--#6 is a Sharkstooth. I couldn't tell you if it's reversed or not. [:-] I was just going by what it said on this thing I printed out from mini-iac. That shows ya how much I know/don't know about IMAC.[&:]
Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DA sat for a year and a half, and fired up immediately after I shipped it out here. Your G62 should be fine. The sim is okay for practice but definitely won't replace working with the real thing. The more you can fly your plane the better.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 PM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

My DA sat for a year and a half, and fired up immediately after I shipped it out here. Your G62 should be fine. The sim is okay for practice but definitely won't replace working with the real thing. The more you can fly your plane the better.
me thinks you responded to the wrong thread

drop me a PM with your email if you are interested in the grid scenery...I'll email it to you... also.. I have been using the QQ Yak for practice (that is what I fly)... I'd be happy to send my set up for that as well...

as for the sharks tooth..... I learned to everything as a "sharks tooth"... a 1/2 cuban... etc... but quickly learned that as soon as you advance to sportsman or beyond that gets more challenging....

so the sharks... (or reverse..since the 45 upline is first AFAIK) would be described as... pull a 45 upline... 1/2 roll half way up, then pull to a vertical downline, then pull to an upright exit......

or the 1/2 cubans would be... pull a 45 upline, with a 1/2 roll, pulling to a 5/8th loop....
confused?

it is easy in basic to just say... 1/2 cuban.... or a sharks.... but as the pattern gets more complicated..it just doesn't work...
I learned this the first time a buddy asked me to call for him in sportsman....

all that said... or typed... make sure you have fun!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

me thinks you responded to the wrong thread
Flyfalcons was addressing my concern about firing my engine after it sat for 2yrs. I am happy to report that a fresh battery on the ignition, some fuel in the tank, and a couple flips on choke--she fired right up. I had to richen the needles just a pinch. Last time I ran that engine I was at 6000'. I'm just a little under 5000' now. Lower altitude, richer needles. She runs great.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
DeadAccount237939

in the lower classes it is often helpful for the caller to describe the complete figure; however the pilot must be fluent enough in the lingo to understand that a reverse anything enters on the 45. so for a ST with a half roll on the 45, i would call a ST, half roll on the 45. The tendency in basic is to fly fast between figures, which doesn't allow the caller and the pilot to develop a smooth tempo. exiting a figure the pilot should retard the throttle and ensure a good entry into the next figure - this is critical in the upper classes with unknowns. one of the things that can be practiced on a simulator - and is a constant source of downgrades - is the spacing of the roll on the line. while the visual of the roll on a sim isn't that good, the pilot can count after the entry - 1,2, roll, 1,2, thereby keeping the roll centered. regardless of class, few pilots realize how many points they lose by rolling too soon on any given figure.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Balsacutter
My Feedback: (3)

They have forums for stimulators, too. With pictures!
ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Thot you were talking about stimulators - never mind -