IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

OK let's snap roll

Old 01-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK let's snap roll

Question,

As IMAC tries to replicate full scale aerobatic maneuvers, how do you guys enter snap rolls, and do the judges score differently depending upon how you enter them?

For example in my Extra (35%), I try entering the snap scale-like. With full up elevator (for + snaps of course) followed immediately by rudder. The plane enters a nice scale snap roll.

Now when I try a snap roll the other way, full rudder, ail, and up elevator, the plane enters a tight little snap that isn't super scale like, but possibly easier to stop.

But then in my 25% Sukhoi, full rudder and aileron only would result in a great snap.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every plane is different. My DP Extra snaps much differently than the WM Extra that I got to fly, and I'm sure my new MW Extra will be even different. I'd say find what works for your particular plane and practice till you nail it every time.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:04 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

How much defection do you use on each control?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Silvanskii

I've been using a more precision type setup with smaller throws, I don't remember the exact numbers right now.

I guess I'm just curious if judges at competitions like seeing a more scale snap entry.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Baron Johnson

Read the IMAC Flying and Judging Guide. This explains the judging criteria for snap rolls, as well as all other families of maneuvers.

Here is a link to the PDF... http://www.mini-iac.com/pages/rules/...dgingGuide.pdf

Baron
Old 01-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Silvanskii

Ah, ok, I've read that before but here's the sentence I missed.

Either very shortly after the nose moves, or simultaneously with the nose movement, the aircraft must be seen to yaw around it's vertical axis.......

Thanks all.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:27 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Every Plane Snaps Different

See if any of this helps you out. As it seems to take very little rudder, elevator and more ailerons:

For Presion flying

Ailerons normal 22 degrees
A (roller) 16 deg.
A (snap) 30 deg.

Elevator normal 10 deg
E (spin) 15 deg.
E (snap) 8 deg

Rudder normal 30 deg.
R (roller/Hammer/Spin) 45 deg
R (snap) 22 deg.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:43 AM
Silvanskii

Thanks krayzc I'll try those in a few months when we finally get weather to fly (in OH).
Old 01-05-2003, 01:18 PM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

Default Snaps

On upline snaps, to make it more manageable and come out on the line better. try more aileron and less elevator and rudder. The snaps look softer, but the results are more consistent. On my 40% Cap I'm using around 30 deg of aileron and around 8-10 rudder and elevator. Use a little up elevator to start the snap (pos) and come out of the elevator completely. Ease out of the rudder the last quarter and finish with the aileron. With some practice you can nail the snaps every time. This is sometimes referred to a TOC Snap. With the more complex sequences. this sort of snap doesn't bleed off as much energy.

Daniel
Old 01-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Luke 3D

I found that if you perform snaps at a slow flying speed they are a lot less violent and more scale like.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:06 AM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

I see these specific throws for different flight conditions (rolls, snaps, hammerheads, etc.) and have to wonder, are people using programs (e.g. flight conditions in the 9ZAP) or simply not burying the sticks in a snap. I'm fairly new at this and my planes either snap quickly, or not at all when I throw full up E, right A and right R. I'm sure there are the people with the skills to do it manually and those who use programs. Are there rules in IMAC competition with regard to the use of programs?

Jason
Old 01-08-2003, 03:15 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by Fishstyx
I see these specific throws for different flight conditions (rolls, snaps, hammerheads, etc.) and have to wonder, are people using programs (e.g. flight conditions in the 9ZAP) or simply not burying the sticks in a snap. I'm fairly new at this and my planes either snap quickly, or not at all when I throw full up E, right A and right R. I'm sure there are the people with the skills to do it manually and those who use programs. Are there rules in IMAC competition with regard to the use of programs?

Jason
Jason,
Look at the following for the rules
http://www.mini-iac.com/pages/rules/2002-2004_Rules.pdf
and
http://www.mini-iac.com/pages/rules/...dgingGuide.pdf

There are some restrictions regarding items such as gyros installed it the aircraft that are listed in the AMA rules. There are no restrictions placed on what you do from the transmitter. Most use several "flight modes" (this is a JR term so I'm not sure what the similar features are called in other brands) to change the flight conditions.

Later in the spring we plan to have an IMAC training session at the field in Frederick, MD. Hope to see you there. http://www.frederickmodelaircraftclub.org

EXCAP232
Old 01-08-2003, 03:29 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Default Flight modes

Jason,

Most of the upper class pilots do use flight modes, though there are some who don't. I have been lucky enough to get some help from a couple of TOC pilots. One of them uses a flight mode for snaps, the other does not. I have found that a snap mode helps me lots. I fly Advanced, and there are a number of snaps both positive and negative that you encounter in this class.

I have a flight mode for normal flight--relatively low aileron, moderate elevator and a fair amount of rudder (with lots of expo). This allows for good, smooth rolling maneuvers, looping maneuvers, spins, and hammerheads.

I have a flight mode for snaps--all the aileron I can get, very little elevator and rudder. I still have to "fly the snap" and unload the elevator immediately after the snap is initiated--particularly for vertical upline snaps. However, for straight and level snaps I can pretty much bury the sticks in the corners and it will look OK.

I have a flight mode for rolling circles--very little aileron, moderate elevator and rudder. This allows for smooth rollers with plenty of elevator and rudder to turn the plane through the circle.

Snaps are the hardest part of precision flying for me. The more you do and the more you get judged, the better they will get. The best thing you can do is get some coaching from a good Unlimited pilot and practice. I hope this helps some.

Ken
Old 01-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks rcplanefan, that helps a lot. I have a Sig Sukhoi that I'm using this season to practice IMAC maneuvers and sequences. The information you provided gives me a good starting point for trying different modes.

We also have a TOC pilot that flies at our field. I don't want to pester him with newbie questions so I'm trying to do some homework so I can get headed in the right direction before asking for help. From watching him, I've noticed that he re-programs his transmitter in flight which I find impressive. I land before changing settings. Now that I'm flying a gasser, it has the endurance for me to try different things before having to pit and refuel.

EXCAP232, you can count on me showing up. I'll check the club site. I currently fly at NVRC but after talking with Forrest, I'm eager to check out Frederick. I actually used to live in Monrovia, in Frederick (like 15 years ago). Now I live in Reston. I'd take the Greenway to Rt. 15 North to get there.

Jason