Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

after 8 years - IMAC changes observed (and more)

Community
Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

after 8 years - IMAC changes observed (and more)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
bdunsire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after 8 years - IMAC changes observed (and more)

I first competed in IMAC in the fall of 1996, I continued in 97 and 98. I chose to step away from IMAC competition in order to spend all my spare time with our daughters (who were 12 and 14 at the time) – by late summer 2004 our daughters were both out of the house (college) so I went back to RC as planned – happily for me the love was still there, and I decided I was going to get back to IMAC.

Sadly cancer was there too, so I spent way too much of the next year in and out of the hospital – surgeries and chemo. Then a lot of R/C flying in the summer 05, I was getting ready to compete in IMAC now that I was ‘done’ with cancer treatments … but of course, the cancer came back (Osteosarcoma FWIW) – so more surgeries more chemo, and this spring (2006) I knew I had too little time left (I’ll be lucky to see November).. so I decided to buy some great RC stuff (just 'cause) and to compete in IMAC again - finally. I seriously considered a 40% er, but since I had been considering buying a 102" QQ Yak last summer (before cancer came back), I decided to go that way – one plane of course, but I needed a backup, and a trailer.. Oops, sems I have 5 giant scale IMAC planes now, but I still only fly one at a time – I guess I am ‘winning’ - I’ll certainly die with a lot of great toys! – But seriously, I am loving this.

I came back to IMAC, by my choice, in the Advanced class where my first goal was simply to not be embarrassed by that choice. After so many years away from competition I was sure I could have come back in Sportsman or Intermediate and no one would have complained, but the Advanced schedule looked so interesting, and the fact was I had ‘earned’ my way to that class many years before. Since I don't know any IMAC fliers (any longer) it was all a pretty interesting challenge!

Over this year I have worked hard to attend every contest I could – missing 3 (darn) Northwest contests due to medical ‘issues', but making it to 8 other contests so far this year (!!) 6 here in the Northwest, one in Chicago, one in Cincinnati (two of stops on the final tour from last month) – yep, sort of hard core IMAC I guess. The good news for me, my IMAC flying skills are getting better even still, and I am even getting into the prizes in the class, so the choice of starting back in Advanced has worked out just great (I mean I'm not embarassed by it).

After 7 years away from competition:
A thing that jumps out at me – the Advanced figures – wow – I think the schedule we have this year is very close to what Unlimited might have flown 8 years ago.. And Unlimited – an even bigger WOW. The other classes seem consistent with what I’d have expected years ago – except of course, as I recall, there used to be no (?) Intermediate class.

A next thing that jumps out at me – the number of 40% planes at contests – I don’t really recall many 40%ers at all back 8 years ago (I competed in California and here in Washington).. And back then – 3W was the engine – 70cc or 80cc, and the BIG engine was the 3W120. - today 100, 150 and up..

The third thing – actually, this is probably the biggest surprise to me – the quality of planes in the ‘lower’ classes. Sportsman and Intermediate pilots with planes that are fully (I mean fully!) capable of competing in the Unlimited class. Back when – in nearly all cases the Intermediate / Advanced competitors had planes that were a step above the Sportsman, and Unlimited was a step above Advanced / Inter.. In most (?) cases you could reasonably guess the class of the competitor by the plane they flew. Now I see 40% top of the line (Carden, Composit ARF, Dalton, etc.) powered by big DA or big 3W engines, in the Sportsman and Intermediate classes. I am certainly not criticizing any of these pilots, it is actually pretty amazingly cool, but after 8 years away, this has been quite a surprise to me.

Of course, ARFs – amazing – My QQ Yaks are, after nearly 35 years in RC, just the 3 and 4th ARFs I’ve ever owned (out of nearly 70 planes). The quality of ARFs is, of course, just amazing, and I know this has a lot to do with the quality of planes we’re seeing in all classes. Back 'then' I don't think I can recall ever seeing an ARF in a class beyond Basic.

And finally – trailers – I have one, heck, most at contests have ‘em. Used to be.. one or two or three at a contest – now – my guess is 75% of the large plane fliers at IMAC contests have trailers.

The sad thing – for me – It is still so much fun, and what a treat, after all these years to be still improving, and have such great equipment available so easily.. Would love to get another season – heck, would love to see December..

Cheers,
Bob

(I hope I don't sound sad, or ... I considered not mentioning cancer, but it is a fact, of life.. Did you know 50% of men in the USA will have cancer? 33% of the women? True numbers. There is no hidden agenda here, cancer and this year of mine, and IMAC are very closely aligned - sorry)

(I have loved this year, have met many truly wonderful people as a result of IMAC this year, and made so great new friends. The 'final tour' IMAC trip was so great, and the people were a big, the biggest, part of that.)
Old 09-09-2006, 06:24 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: after 8 years - IMAC changes observed (and more)

Been there, had cancer my friend. Chemo----no fun.
Hang in there and let the joy of our toys keep a smile on your face as they helped me get through!! As did my daughter and wife!!
I'm hopefull of a miracle for you and will keep you in my prayers!!

Best wishes!!

Chris
Old 09-09-2006, 08:23 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Bob,

We here in North Central really enjoyed having you attend some events with us.
You definately showed you can hang in the Advanced class.

I really wish you were in a beter situation so we all could spend some more time with you and your wife at some events next year.
Maybe that will happen. I have my fingers crossed!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 PM
highK

you are right about there being no intermediate class. from what i hear, a bunch of the left leaning liberals in so cal got together and decided to try intermediate in the now defunct SCAT series, and IMAC followed suit. something about emulating IAC, whatever that means.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Redneck Shaun
My Feedback: (1)

A next thing that jumps out at me – the number of 40% planes at contests – I don’t really recall many 40%ers at all back 8 years ago (I competed in California and here in Washington).. And back then – 3W was the engine – 70cc or 80cc, and the BIG engine was the 3W120. - today 100, 150 and up..

Hey Bob it's good to hear from you again. I flew my first IMAC this weekend. I LOVED it!!! I had a GREAT time.But I to noticed how many people flew 40% in basic. Out of 12 people I think there were 9 flying 40%'ers. I was flying my 28% Wild Hare extra300 and got 8th place. I am very happy with that for my first IMAC outing. I'm an IMAC addict now.....I can't wait to get the sequence to start practicing for next year.LOL....

On a side note, I'm taking a another plunge today. My wife and I are being baptised at 9:00 this morn'. I guess you can call me a late bloomer? I'm 40 years old. I have always believed, always turned to Jesus in times of turmoil in my life, always prayed to myself, but not out loud for fear of being embarrased by someone else hearing me pray. LOL.....I laugh at my stupidity sometimes. Today i'm proud to say "I TRULY KNOW JESUS".
I can't really say why but about six months ago I started hungering for time spent alone reading the bible. I wish I had not waited till' fourty to do so!!!
In the last five months my life has totally changed. So many awesome things have came in to my life it would take fifteen pages to put them all down!!! LOL........ Let's just say the lord has been very good to me and my family.
Bob I'll continue praying for you and your family, I hope, as you have been doing. You enjoy every minute while you are here with us. But rejoice in your future in heaven with the Lord.
Best of luck
Redneck
Old 09-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Bob. It's funny you should start this post as I am in the same boat. Was real heavy into IMAC prior to 2001, and haven't flown since till this year.

The number of 40% planes used to be 2-3/contest and almost never in Basic, now they outnumber any other size aircraft.

Back then, my 37% Extra's, built by myself nut to bolt cost $8500 if you used good quality equipment. This is not an exaggeration, it is a fact. Now, am building a WH41% Extra and am looking at approx $5K, a significant drop, plus the amount of pre-fab by WH makes it possible for anyone to assemble this plane. Wonderful in my eyes, but I do miss the unique and satisfaction aspects of building. However for the $$, you can't even buy a kit/ship the kit for the cost of this plane.

Another huge change is the box and size of flying area. When I got out the emphasis was on flying HUGE, and I mean a long way to either side with a Center Pole to put all center manuevers on. Now the box is eliminated for all practical purposes, but so has the center pole so a pilot can place a "center" manuever where they want (usually early) allowing the end manuever to be flown closer in and it has worked, IMO to make the box smaller (a good thing) It is strange though, that even among top pilots there isn't a pattern here to emulate. each flies the sequence different.

IMAC is still fun and love the Unknowns.

Ed
Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Bob,

I really enjoyed meeting you this summer on your tour. I sincerely hope that you can get here again next year - we are counting on seeing you again in Cincinnati! Do you know if you will be able to make it to Tuscon?

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM
bdunsire

You're right Ed, I didn't even mention it..back when - it would take (me) 6-9 months to get the plane in the air, and quite a lot of money. Today - just a few weeks to get it in the air, and these great ARFs actually cost less than a kit alone in many cases (how do they do that? - actually, I do know )

Ken - the Cincinnati contest (and you folks I mean) were the highlight of our 4 week / 4 contest final tour trip, I think I've shared that before.. Just a great group of people and just a great time - under other circumstances, I would truly love to be there more often. Related to TAS, I was a bit disappointed that we were on the road over all the dues dates for signup, and as a result I was unable to complete the pre-registration and entry stuff - but I have been hoping to make it there to just watch, cheer, and say hi.. Sadly, the old cancer is not waiting on me at all now, and.. I'm not sure if I will be able to (physically) make the trip - IF possible, I will be there - if not .... darn...

Cheers,
Bob
Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Bob -

It was truely a joy to meet you and your wife (not to mention the dogs) at Cincinnati. I am sorry about the cancer, but was glad to see you out enjoying the time you have left. Just know that you are always in our prayers and that you have a lot of friends in the North Central!

Keith Sessions
Old 09-14-2006, 09:38 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

My last IMAC contest was the IMAC Nats in 2001, took 9th in Advanced. My 32.5% Godfrey Extra was the 2nd smallest aircraft in Advanced. The majority of the aircraft even in Sportsman were 35% to 40%. That was 6 years ago.

Evan
Old 09-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Dangerous Dan

The third thing – actually, this is probably the biggest surprise to me – the quality of planes in the ‘lower’ classes. Sportsman and Intermediate pilots with planes that are fully (I mean fully!) capable of competing in the Unlimited class. Back when – in nearly all cases the Intermediate / Advanced competitors had planes that were a step above the Sportsman, and Unlimited was a step above Advanced / Inter.. In most (?) cases you could reasonably guess the class of the competitor by the plane they flew. Now I see 40% top of the line (Carden, Composit ARF, Dalton, etc.) powered by big DA or big 3W engines, in the Sportsman and Intermediate classes. I am certainly not criticizing any of these pilots, it is actually pretty amazingly cool, but after 8 years away, this has been quite a surprise to me.
Guilty I Just bought a RTF Dalton 42% to fly basic was flying a 33%....LOL
Old 09-21-2006, 01:44 AM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Bob, you should treat yourself to a trip to Tucson for the shootout, if you are up to it. You should bring your planes, too - a lot of us that go there as spectators actually spend a good part of each day flying at other flying fields in the area. We had a blast last year and plan to do the same this year!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:07 AM
bdunsire

I have indeed been hoping to get to the TAS Bodywerks - but sadly for me my cancer is not slowing down - in fact I just (!) got out of the hospital (6 days in)- another big surgery that was completely a surprise, but given the choice (another surgery or die this week ) - I choose surgery, and as a result I missed a local IMAC contest last weekend - what a bummer.

If I can, I REALLY want to get there - so many people I hope to see at least once more.

Cheers,
Bob (with even more scars )
Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 PM
IIMAC
My Feedback: (7)

Bob, Sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. We missed you in Tri-cities. I didn't fly because no other Advanced pilots showed up. Got to do a lot of judging. I hope you can make it to the regional championships in Yakama.

Best wishes, Brad
Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
bdunsire

Hi Brad,

Wow - sorry to hear that - I sort of expected the 'usual' 4 or so would be there in Advanced.

The highlight for me was going to be that my daughter Alison was finally going to compete (In Basic, with my 33% Edge) - she has been getting ready to compete for a couple of months now, had arranged 4 days off work, and we were all set for the contest and the trip. Instead, she spent the 4 days at my hospital bed in Seattle. Sucks 'cause with her work schedule, and my health, I know it was the last chance I'll ever have to see her compete.

I do REALLY hope to make the last contest.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 PM
wgeffon

Bob,

We are thinking of you here in NC.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Dangerous Dan

ORIGINAL: bdunsire

The highlight for me was going to be that my daughter Alison was finally going to compete (In Basic, with my 33% Edge) - she has been getting ready to compete for a couple of months now, had arranged 4 days off work, and we were all set for the contest and the trip. Instead, she spent the 4 days at my hospital bed in Seattle. Sucks 'cause with her work schedule, and my health, I know it was the last chance I'll ever have to see her compete.

I do REALLY hope to make the last contest.

Cheers,
Bob
What would it take to get her some time off so you and her can compete in the next contest?

Jobs are necessary but sometimes other things are more important.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:21 AM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Where is our friend? Bdunsire, just wanted to let you know you were in my thoughts...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 AM
exeter_acres

I was just thinking about him the other day too......

Hope he is still doing well.........
Old 01-11-2007, 10:03 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

I threw his name in google and found this.

http://www.bobdunsire.com/CGI-BIN/ul...9;t=000025;p=0

We met him at the chicago land cup, he was a really nice guy. Good flyer too.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 PM
wgeffon

Very sad..
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM
exeter_acres

The RC world lost a great friend......
Old 01-13-2007, 05:35 PM
jack1933

Hello Shaun Jack Strickland here from Marietta Ok Have flown imac in the past, and was wondering where you fly, would like to come down for a visit. my home phone no is ---- 580-276-5322. would like to hear from you regards JACK
Old 01-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Dangerous Dan

jack you should come to our field and fly it is about 35 min from you and we have the longest running IMAC in SC Region.

Dan Powell
Old 01-13-2007, 08:50 PM
jack1933

Hello Dan have flown at a couple imac contests in the past. thanks for the come back. Andy Snow contacted me this nite and filled me in on whats happening in imac today. Will look forward to seeing all u guys at the imac contests. Regards jack strickland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.