Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 10:53 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Raven

Originally posted by shockwave
Hello Sandor,

Nice model of the Raven, Hats off to you for putting the turbine in and getting it flying :thumbup: . What kind of lag time are you getting with spool up. Reason I ask is that I have been working on a way to maintain a specified Rpm say 130K then control the prop pitch which should dramatically improve the lag time. Hopefully this will allow for true 3D flight.

Is the Ati kit built up or fiberglass?

Take Care

David.
hi Thanks!

well the lag is about 3 seconds from idle to full power
(45000-150000)
the problem you describe with the prop pitch :you would have the following problem , how can you hold 130000 rpm,s
if you play with the pitch the rpm of the turbine will go down so is the prop speed
with the wren engine its not direct driven this means
it is less sensitive to slower speeds or higher speeds
so the turbine will always hold the selected rpm,s
it is just feeding more fuel to hold , offcourse keeping in mind the temp does not exeed the maximum.
however you will still have a delay , the delay i measure is about 1.5 seconds between 90000 and 150000
mainly because of the fadec full auto , since the fadec desides
how fast the engine spools up or down , looking at ambient temps
, engine temp , fuelflow
so basicly lots of practice
but! just listen to the sound from the engine and the prop
i cant describe it , but its just awesome hearing the sound of a prop coming and leaving mixed with a true jet sound!
i will try to record some avi film and put it on the net
everyone is just amased how easy this engine is started by just a movement of the stick
i must say it is Wren Turbines who get,s the credit
its a real pleasure just to buy it and leave it on the teststand that comes with it , i was complete new to turbines
but the usermanual was very clear with full color pictures
how it worked , seting it up maintenence etc etc
actualy i bought just a black and decker stand
to hold the engine , bought kerosine , programmed my rc
very easy , and start it!
they deliver it with all pumps , battery,s etc etc
after running it for a few weeks on the stand , offcourse everyone wanted to see it so i had to drag it every week to the field just to start it!
i made over 50 starts ,with just 2 recharges on the battery,s
running it more then 2 hours in total , played with different props
had only 1 flame out due to a 1 way valve i put in , so that the fuel would not go back to the container wich was a mistake from my side it toulk some air in the line , so after full power then idle it blew out...
investigated , called wren and found that the problem was on my side
anyway its good to run it on the stand to see what is going on

the Raven is made full out of wood
making it very light
raven can be bought at www.atimanufacturing.co.uk
it is allready prepared to hold the wren turboprop
incl all the preset,s ,room for the ecu pumps etc etc

regards

Sandor
Old 01-23-2003, 07:39 PM
indrflyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Raven.

How about bringing the Raven to Puyallup (the NW Modelers Expo) next weekend....
Old 01-23-2003, 08:55 PM
shockwave
My Feedback: (39)

Default Raven,

Thanks Sander,

Currently as I mentioned we are working with JD Enterprises to put the Turbo prop into our airframe; hopefully it will adapt as smoothly as your Raven. I guess the major difference between the kits since they are both are 33% is the construction; one is built up and the other is composite.

Hopefully we could get together in the future to have the Ravens put on a little show; let me know if you are planning to come State side some time. I would be more than happy to show you around to the local flying sites.

With my new born little girl however I don't think I will have the chance to come over to your side of the pond for quite a while; I think my wife would strangle me If I proposed to go to Europe to fly my plane

Take Care

David.

PS. Where is the NW Modelers Expo being held??
Old 01-24-2003, 05:57 AM
indrflyr

Default Turbo Raven.

Actually, the NW Model Expo is held in Seattle (at the Western Washington Fairgrounds in Puyallup, just south of Seattle). The show is next weekend, Feb 1st and 2nd.

The Turbo Raven would be the hit of the show for sure!!!

Steve Cook
Spokane, Wa. USA
Old 01-24-2003, 08:57 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo Raven Video

I believe that plane was at the Scale Masters here in Mesa, AZ. I took some video of the event and have posted it on the web. There is a shot of the Turbo Raven taking off and a bunch of video of other planes at the event.

Enjoy, Phil (Mesa, AZ)

THE VIDEO:
http://members.cox.net/philsvideo/index.htm
Old 01-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default Turbo Raven.

Is it possible to put a smoke system on a turboprop such as this?

MAN that would rock
Old 01-24-2003, 06:58 PM
shockwave

Default Turbo Raven.

Hello,

There should be no reason why we couldn't put a smoke system on the Wren or JD Turboprop. It would be easier if the ESU had a feature for this such as in the Jetcat ECU's but I have seen it installed on Mercury engines with out any problem.

Hey Phil, Yes that was the Raven at AZ that was flown by Bob Francis. Nice video by the way; well put together.

David.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:45 PM
digitech

Default Re: Raven,

Originally posted by shockwave
Thanks Sander,

Currently as I mentioned we are working with JD Enterprises to put the Turbo prop into our airframe; hopefully it will adapt as smoothly as your Raven. I guess the major difference between the kits since they are both are 33% is the construction; one is built up and the other is composite.

Hopefully we could get together in the future to have the Ravens put on a little show; let me know if you are planning to come State side some time. I would be more than happy to show you around to the local flying sites.

With my new born little girl however I don't think I will have the chance to come over to your side of the pond for quite a while; I think my wife would strangle me If I proposed to go to Europe to fly my plane

Take Care

David.

PS. Where is the NW Modelers Expo being held??
i would be very inbterested ofcourse

but then it is a very long trip
incl the dimensions in traveling with the raven!

reg Sandor
\
Old 01-28-2003, 03:27 AM
PHANTOM2-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default BEAUTY

DAVID (SHOCKWAVE)
I WENT DOWN TO THE PASSADENA SHOW. AND LOOKED AT THE RAVEN. NOT TO CRITIQUE YOUR PICTURE TAKEN ABILITIES.
BUT ONE MUST!! SEE THIS BIRD IN PERSON. IT IS BYE FAR THE COOLEST PLANE OUT THERE. I DIG THE EDGES, CAPS, SUKHOIS AND WHAT NOTS ( I HAVE AN AW SUKHOI). BUT THE WAY THIS PLANE LOOKS, KINDA MAKES YOU DROOL IN AWE.
VERY WELL DONE. I WISH MY FINISH JOBS WOULD COME OUT HALF AS NICE. SORRY FOR THE BABBLE. I GOT ALL WORKED UP.
GEORGE
Old 01-28-2003, 05:36 AM
shockwave

Default Turbo Raven.

Hey George,

Thank you very much for the complements on the Raven. I really appreciate it.

Were you the guy with the BIG SUKHOI on the table across from me by the way?

Anyway if you are ever in the Bay area feel free to stop by and we will do some flying.

Take Care

David.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 AM
PHANTOM2-RCU

Default Turbo Raven.

DAVID (SHOCKWAVE)
I WISH THAT WAS MY SUKHOI.
I WOULD BE ASHAMED TO PUT MY PLANE NEXT TO YOURS.
MINE HAS THAT CERTAIN TRAILER PARK WHITE TRASH THEME GOING FOR IT RIGHT NOW. ITS BAD HABITS MIGHT RUB OFF.
I WAS LOOKING TO UPGRADE. ARE THE DECALS FOR THE ORACLE AVAILABE? I WAS LOOKING AT COMPETING IN SOME IMAC TYPE EVENTS. THEY DONT HAVE A CLASS FOR SKILL LEVEL, BUT I WAS THINKING ABOUT BASIC, HOW GOOD OF A PLATFORM WOULD THE RAVEN BE?? AND WHAT ABOUT 3D?
THANKS GEORGE
Old 01-28-2003, 07:15 AM
shockwave

Default HA HA LOL!!!

Hey George,

"MINE HAS THAT CERTAIN TRAILER PARK WHITE TRASH THEME GOING FOR IT RIGHT NOW. ITS BAD HABITS MIGHT RUB OFF."

My wife and I are still laughing at your quote; very funny.

The Raven would be a very good platform; I you are flying a Sukhoi you would have no problem flying the Raven. You would be surprised how the Raven slows down for landing. Most people that fly it usually end up coming in to short because they think it will hold its speed because of the sleek design. As far as 3D goes you will need to have at least a DA100 or equivalent engine. Currently we have not tested out the Turbine so I have no information about 3D but I hope to change that soon.

Thanks again for you quote; I am still smiling
Old 01-28-2003, 07:30 AM
PHANTOM2-RCU

Default Turbo Raven.

HEY MAN THAT AINT FUNNY.
DOES'NT ANYBODY SLEEP AROUND HERE??
DON'T EVEN START TALKING TURBINE- WELL I GUESS I COULD "BORROW" MY BUDDIES RAM 1000. THINK IT WOULD FIT haha. IF I CAN UNCHAIN THE PITBULL FROM MY PLANE I'LL BRING IT UP. I'LL LET YOU FLY MINE, IF I CAN FLY YOURS ( DONT SNICKER). DO I GET A TRADE-IN ALLOWANCE?? BE A PAL.
WHAT BAD TENDINCES DOES THE RAVEN HAVE IF ANY??
THANKS GEORGE
Old 01-28-2003, 07:38 PM
shockwave

Default Raven

Well, I wouldn't call it a bad tendency just one that you need to be aware of. As mentioned above people think this plane will keep allot of speed during landing but the opposite is true. On landing with the 3blade prop this plane will really slow down nice almost to the point of stall if your not on the sticks. Usually we come in at about 1/3 throttle and taxi out in about 150 feet. Take off we are in the air in under 50 feet. On a Mac .85 there are no real weird tendencies in the air.

David.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Default Turbo Raven.

When it's all said and done how much would a turbine unit and setup cost compared to say a $1000 DA-100 for power? Im curious, When looking at all of these pics and people flying tendency today I think the vast majority of people would opt for the DA-100 route or equivalant engine before they went and messed around with a turbine.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:41 PM
shockwave

Default Turbo Raven,

I totally agree that most will utilize a piston engine because of the cost factor. Basically once you have the Raven built you would need an additional 5000 or so to cover the cost of the Turbine, gearbox and accessories. Currently I fly on a Mac .85 and I have a great time. but for those who have the desire to fly a turbine you have that option.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

David.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Badge

Default Turbo Raven.

Only comment I hafve is this is probably the most kick ass airplane I have seen in a long time (Hope I can say ass, were all grown ups here aren't we )!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Badge

Default Turbo Raven.

Actually when do you plan to start selling these kits?
Old 01-28-2003, 10:01 PM
shockwave

Default Raven Kit Production

Hello Badge,

Thanks for the complements on the Raven; I am actually producing kits as of last week and two have been sold. It took me about two months to get everything ready for production. Now the shop is ready I am producing kit as orders as they come in. It is my intent to always have a couple of kits on hand to minimize the waiting time.

Hopefully if the short kits do well I will look at deveoping a Deluxe kit with the long term goal to have a ARF.

David.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:14 PM
cnbhome

Default Turbo Raven.

I know it is only a question of money but, what work has been done on building a constant velocity prop. As a project plane that would be the best of all worlds - Scale, Aerobatic, Jet this is it, however, you have to have that prop hub. There are enough carbon props that can be cut up to make the blades, but a workable hub is needed.

The second piece is the throttle on the engine and the pitch control. Helicopters have that mixing for the throttle to pitch, why not for this setup. A side control for the base throttle and the regular stick for the pitch - throttle mix.

Even though the price is up there, this is a got to have toy!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 01:02 PM
digitech

Default Turbo Raven.

Originally posted by cnbhome
I know it is only a question of money but, what work has been done on building a constant velocity prop. As a project plane that would be the best of all worlds - Scale, Aerobatic, Jet this is it, however, you have to have that prop hub. There are enough carbon props that can be cut up to make the blades, but a workable hub is needed.

The second piece is the throttle on the engine and the pitch control. Helicopters have that mixing for the throttle to pitch, why not for this setup. A side control for the base throttle and the regular stick for the pitch - throttle mix.

well if anyone is interested ati also sells them in a petrol version
give them a call on : +441724270753
Old 01-30-2003, 01:10 PM
digitech

Default Turbo Raven.

Originally posted by cnbhome

a well you cant please all of them can you?

simply the fact adding a pitch control is MUCH more expensive
and more sensitive to impacts or just touching it
(ask a heli pilot to touch the blades)
no it is fine like this , and if you look at the power from this 1.6 kilo engine and outputing 7 HP that is enough for this plane
Old 01-31-2003, 10:09 PM
cnbhome

Default Turbo Raven.

It is not really a question about price, more how trick you can make the model, reality does not play a role here.

There is a thread in Tips & Techniques about an adjustable prop dated 1-22-03. Check it out.

They also built a turbo prop setup and had an adjustable prop on the system.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Luke 3D

Default Turbo Raven.

How much does the kit cost? I can't find the Raven on the ATI website anywhere. Where is it? How well does it 3D?
Thanks for any reply
Luke
Old 02-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Luke 3D

Default Turbo Raven.

Oh , just thinking again, will it do walls, parachutes and harriers? I was very close to getting a Funtana but no i am understandably thinking about this one as well. I think it looks really amazing well done.Even better than an Edge or an extra. I have found the raven on the website finally in the news section. I had been looking in the products section!
If the price i not overly expensive ( £440 +)
then i may just have to have one. This would have to be the Knock em dead model out of all the others i have seen do far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.