Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

2007 Knowns

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Tom Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Knowns

I don’t know, this might fall into the “no news is good news” or “don’t ask for what you wish for, because you just might get it” category. But what do you all think of the 2007 Knowns?
I know as a Sequence Committee member we worked many months is designing, testing, tweaking the proposals we sent to the IMAC board. In my opinion, the board made excellent choices for the 07 Knowns, and this is based on personally flying all of the many dozens of proposals developed during our designing phase.
Speaking unofficially for the Sequence Committee, I think we would like to know if many of you have had a chance to fly the new Knowns, hopefully more than a few times, and have formed an opinion about them.
Also if anyone has any questions as to design and construction philosophy, or how best to place figures in our opinion, please free to ask.

Thanks in advanced,

Tom Wheeler
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Old 10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 2007 Knowns

I've only looked at and flown the Sportsman....I like it......

Starting up high is weird...but I will get over that!
Seems to flow nicely....

Thanks
Curtis
Old 10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
bhanley

I have looked at Basic though Intermediate and I think they flow well.
Appreciate the work that you guys have done and also that we have
them so early.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Tom,
I have flown the Sportsman routine about 30 times.
I find that to fly it right it is bigger than the 2006 version.
I know it is me and I need to find a way to keep it within our clubs overfly area (1500ft)
I don't like starting high but that is just something I have to get over.
I do enjoy the routines and the humpty does help you recover from cross wind drift.
I like the tear drop from a spin. Never done that before. Great learning maneuver.

I think the committee did a great job with the sequences and I welcome the chance to fly them next year!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
aneurism

I have looked over the sportsman and am wondering if there is a narrative available somewhere?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
T Wheeler
My Feedback: (1)

We will shortly have narratives for Basic and Sportsman for IMAC PR reasons.
Tom Wheeler
Old 10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
T Wheeler

First, thanks to all who have responded personally and in public to my question on this list and others. It was very surprising and gratifying on how positive those notes have been.
I will attempt to answer some of the questions posed, and also give some tips based my flying these sequences.

Basic:
There is a very small pallet of figures to choose from for this class, plus as a sequence designer for this class safety and the pilot’s ability easily string the figures together is the key for this class. In Basic, we as a committee last year decided that for Basic it was
important and beneficial to have the roll as the first figure and a 1-1/2
pos spin as the last figure of the sequence. We have observed over the years
that for most new Basic pilots when the roll was mid-sequence they tended to
get rushed and sometimes risky trying to get that roll between two figures.
Having it as the first figure the pilot has time to get himself ready for
the figure. As for using a 1-1/2 spin at the end, again for safety, they
don't need to be as high as for a two turn spin, and if they dead stick they
are headed downwind and should be able to make the 180 turn to final into
the wind. If you dead stick a two turn spin, you either have to make two
180's to get into the wind, or make a downwind landing. So with those two
above criteria, and the limited figures you can use for Basic, the sequences
tend to be similar.

Sportsman:
Much has been mentioned about entry altitude and placement of figure one the Goldfish from the top. First if flying the B sequence (left to right) come into the box at a reasonable height and wait until reach center box before you start this figure, and stay off the power. You do not need speed or much altitude to start this figure, with a simple push to a 45 downline, the speed you need for the snap will come quickly, just center it on the 45 line. A point to remember is that the radii for the entry, ¾ loop and exit should all be the same, but the length of the 45 lines can be different. So use this to your advantage setting up for figure two-three combo. If you place everything right with a short 45 downline the exit will be at center box and with some altitude to help with the next two figures.
For figure two the Half Outside Loop with the 2 of 4 entry, start this just left of center and if you placed figure one correctly, do the 2 of 4 and than push for the half outside loop giving you enough altitude for what would normally be just a 1-1/2 spin, don’t worry about the teardrop part of the figure because this no different than a normal exit except just keep pulling on the exit and add power as you reach the bottom of the 5/8 loop. Again the length of the 45 upline is not a criterion, just draw a 45, do a half roll and draw the same length 45 line after the half roll.
Again for figure four the Vertical Downline with the half roll, get off the power, almost like you are going into a spin, then push to the vertical down line, of course half way down, do the ½ roll.
Use figure six the cross-box Humpty to adjust your Y axis placement, as in most cases we all need this because most of us are less than perfect in our wind correction. So learn this both bringing it in and flying it out.
The rest of the figures you all should be able to figure there placement out, but a word to the wise, don’t over look the last figure, the 180 degree Aerobatic Turn. This is an important figure in learning future aerobatic figures. Remember, first roll to a bank of 60 to 90 degrees, then pull the radius, establish 180 heading then using the same roll rate, roll back to level flight.
I have flow this sequence many times along with a Basic pilot who is thinking about moving up and it flows well and can comfortably flown with a small footprint.

Intermediate:
One of the key goals of the committee this year was to place the 90 roller as best we could mid-sequence. Reason for this is that with past year’s end of sequence roller, it became a “throw-away” figure, and no one seemed to practice it or performed it well. So if we could place it mid-sequence, it would become more import to learn, and would help the pilot in the long run, this is a difficult task as flow and footprint become an issue. Our solution was best demonstrated with the 4-7 figure combo of this sequence.
Now here is good way to set your self up for this figure combo. The key is to fly a bit past center before you start the 135 pull for figure four (the “Z”), place it so the exit at the top is also past center. Now draw a line before you set up for the spin towards the end of the box, remember this distance will place the Hammer and the 90 degree roller. After the cross-box spin, draw a line deep enough for the roller coming back, yet not to deep so you can still fly the nothing up Hammer. After the Hammer, start your 90 degree roller and if your placement was good you should be able the fly the Y correcting Humpty (fig. 8) center box. Of course, you can start the whole sequence at the back of the box and end up flying the roller outbound, but I think most will find it better to learn to fly it in-bound. And again this will greatly help when it becomes time to move up in class.

Advanced:
This is my class and I have flown this sequence more then any other, my biggest tip here has to do with figure 4 the cross-box Humpty leading into the 270 roller. Again using the B sequence, flying left to right, fly past center before you pull for the Humpty. Plan it so that the vertical downline with the cross-box exit is also still just a bit right of center. If you do this, the exit of the roller will give you room to center figure 6 (the figure “9”). With this placement, the rest of the sequence will flow and place nicely.

Unlimited:
Believe me, I’m not an Unlimited pilot, but have flown this sequence, not well mind you, but I have seen “real” Unlimited pilots fly the sequence. It does present well and I think it would be best to let some them give you all tips in flying this sequence best.

Hope this helps,
Tom Wheeler
IMAC Sequence Member
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 PM
OnTheEdge

Hi Tom, I haven't had a chance to fly the 2007 sequence yet but they look good. One question though, why weren't we given the opportunity to enter feedback on the preliminary sequences before the final decision was made? In the past years this has been done but this year it was not.

Thanks.........Mark
Old 10-24-2006, 09:12 PM
T Wheeler

Mark,
The IMAC BOD has final say as to how the sequences are to be released. My feeling this year is that they wanted to get the Knowns out early so those of us in the Northern part of the country will have time to actually fly them this year. Plus the proposals were test flown by a group of pilots with their input included.
Tom
Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Tom,
I will take your advice on the Sportsman routine.
Your figure one recommendations is a lot different in what I do.
I think I am starting too high, but I just need to check my radii to make sure they are consistent.
I think I am drawing too long a line following the Humpty and too shot of one following the teardrop.
When the wind gust get below 15mph, I will go out and try these recommendations and post it here.

All in all, I find that each year the sequences keep me challenged.
I compete in Sportsman and practice the intermediate.
I am glad of the time and effort you guys put forth.
I would hate to move up from boredom!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:17 AM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: T Wheeler

Mark,
The IMAC BOD has final say as to how the sequences are to be released. My feeling this year is that they wanted to get the Knowns out early so those of us in the Northern part of the country will have time to actually fly them this year. Plus the proposals were test flown by a group of pilots with their input included.
Tom
Got it. Thanks Tom!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Roadster

1. Goldfish; From upright push to 45 degree downline, one positive snap, pull 3/4 loop, ½ roll on the 45 downline
2. Immelman; 2 of 4 rolls, push ½ loop
3. Downward teardrop; 1 ½ positive spins, vertical downline, pull 5/8 loop, ½ roll on the 45 upline
4. Vertical line; push to vertical downline, ½ roll at midpoint
5. Humpty Bump; pull to vertical, 2 of 8 roll on the up line , push crossbox over the top, ¾ roll on the vertical downline
6. ½ Cuban; 2 half rolls on the horizontal entry line, pull 5/8 loop, 2 of 4 rolls on the 45 downline
7. Hammerhead; 1 full roll on the vertical upline
8. Loop; Center a full roll at the top
9. Vertical teardrop; 45 upline, pull 5/8 loop, 2 of 4 on the vertical downline
10. 180 degree turn

2007 Sportsman

Hope this helps
greg.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:49 PM
T Wheeler

Greg,
Thanks for writing out the Sportsman sequence for those who have yet to master Aresti. But there are a few minor errors, first, figure one the Goldfish the inside loop of this figure is a 3/4 loop, not 7/8.
On figure 5 the Humpty Bump, since it's a Y axis cross-box figure regardless of the direction of flight into the figure you can roll ether direction on the upline, the difference is that you will be going outbound or inbound for the half outside loop at the top. Just as you said, the 3/4 roll on the downline must be in the opposite direction as your upline roll so that you exit in the same direction as the entry. As a competitor you should practice this figure both inbound and outbound to help you adjust your placement on the X axis, we all know that all winds on contest days are cross <g>.

Thanks again,

Tom Wheeler
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Tom.

Advanced.

The only concern for me was the first manuever, why a negative snap when right side up?? I was thinking this just looking at the aresti. However, after flying it, it worked just fine.

The rest seemed to flow and the elements can be placed appropriately.

Ed
Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Roadster

Yo Tom,

Thanks for your input. I made some corrections. Please don't make me do the humpty toward me, yikes. But you are right . I need to practice # 5 both ways. Last year was my first year in IMAC. I'm going to push myself in to sportsman this year and hope for the best. I find it amazing what a big jump it is from Basic to Sportsman. Sportsman being so MUCH busier.(what a gas) I tend to make the box to long. Having fun so far.
Thanks for the help.
greg
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Roadster

Just down loaded the "unknown" sportsman sequence that they are using in Tucson this week. (holycrapollie) May have to rethink my strategy for this year.
Back to Basic.