Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Any tips on setting up 33% Aeroworks Edge 540 ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Any tips on setting up 33% Aeroworks Edge 540 ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 11:24 PM
aparchment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips on setting up 33% Aeroworks Edge 540 ARF?

I am in the process of assembling a 33% Edge 540 ARF by Aeroworks. I will be using a DA 100. I am thinking of using the equipment I list below, but would like input on others who have flown this plane before I make final decisions.

Proposed Equipment List:

- DA 100
- Fuchs 25 x 12 three bladed composite prop
- KS Canister mufflers (??cc)
- 4 JR 4721 servos on ailerons
- 2 JR 8411s on the elevators
- 3 JR 4721s on the rudder
- SureLink Huffmeir rudder servo linkage system
- Duralite redundant IMAC package
- 2 Futaba PCM receivers

Please let me know what you guys with experience flying IMAC with this airframe think.

Thanks.

Antony
Old 02-02-2003, 11:29 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Just my opinion on the prop.....the DA will swing a 26x12 3 blade once its good and broke in, so 25x12 should be good to break in with, maybe try a mejzlik, I think they are cheaper than the Fuchs and a little more effecient. I didnt like the fuchs I had, and no complaints with the mejzliks that I run
Old 02-03-2003, 07:34 AM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

My friend had one with a BME 100 and custom mufflers, he was running less servo torque, and only 1 PCM receiver, had no problems with this set up, in fact had 2 other planes on the same set up, I think you've got a little bit of overkill, but can't hurt anything but your wallet and add a little bit of weight to your plane......What kind of flying you intend to do will also be a factor. He suggests running 1 pcm receiver with 2 batteries, and 2 switches into 2 empty bays in the receiver. Either way, 1 or 2 receiver would probably be fine. At my field you usually see guys with 2 receiver when they hit the 40% stuff running 14 or so servos.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:56 PM
aparchment

Default keep 'em coming

Thanks guys. Please keep the ideas coming.

Antony
Old 02-04-2003, 06:18 AM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Antony, reduce your rudder servos to 2, instead of 3. Saves a little weight, and reduces battery drain some. No need to run 2 Rx's in that plane. That plane will do fine with 2 4721's or 2721's. Either or is good! I have 8411's all around on my Edge, with JR guidance.

Check out www.i4cproducts.com go to Isolator and then to pics installed. You'll see how I have my Edge ARF set up. I use 3 packs. 1 Rx and 2 servos packs. I really like the idea of the Isolator, it keeps my mind at ease when I'm pushing a whole lotta current thru my plane, as the Rx sees none of that with the Isolator installed. If I recall correctly, there was a few TOC pilots using the Isolator? I say, " if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me!"

MY 3W on pipes is just as good if not BETTER than a da on pipes.

Good Luck, and keep us posted here on the outcome of your Edge!!

Chris~
Old 02-04-2003, 10:06 PM
aparchment

Default great!

Chris:

That's a great tip on the isolator. Thanks a bunch. I like your setup. What is the dark grey object on the right side of the fuse in front of the fuel tank?

Antony
Old 02-05-2003, 03:19 AM
IFLY3W

Antony, that is where I have my Ign pack. My sw is on that side right with my fuel dot. The fuel line kinda keeps the foam in place so that my ign pack doesn't fly out of there!

I have an extra Iso in my posession as we speak, coul dI possibly interest you in it?? JR 10 ch. PM me or EM me off teh forum so we can discuss that.

EM addy- [email protected]

See ya!!

Chris~
Old 02-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Could be a big pain putting the cannister mufflers in the ARF. The engine certainly doesn't need them for power.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:33 AM
aparchment

Default canister mufflers

Diablo:

I am adding the canisters for two reasons 1) to reduce exhaust noise and 2) to get back some of the power that I am losing through the 3 blade prop that I also chose to reduce noise. We fly at a field that is quite noise sensitive and even if it wasn't, I like to do what I can to keep my planes quiet.

Installing the canisters shouldn't be too bad. They have a pretty good example of how it's done on the Aeroworks web site that will guide me.

I just got my DA this afternoon. This thing is a freakin' work of art. Can't wait to have it running.

Antony
Old 02-07-2003, 06:26 PM
BPKlein

Sounds like a good set up to me. I have had a 36% AW Edge/ Brison 6.4 and a 33% AW Extra/ Brison 6.4.

I agree on only needing 2 JR 4721's on the rudder. I personally use the 4721 all the way around my big planes. They are slightly less expensive than 8411's and the gear train lasts MUCH longer, and when you do need to replace the gears, they are 5 bucks instead of 50 bucks. I would not use the Duralite stuff....not because I don't think it would work, but because it is a big chunk of change for very little weight savings. (I am budget minded) The weight savings just won't show up in the way a plane of this size flies. I think they have a great "COOL" factor but that is about it.

Good luck,
Bryan
Old 02-07-2003, 07:34 PM
flyinrazrback

If you dont want to lose power from the three blade, step up in engine, the 3W 106s blow away the DAs, fact not fiction. You can easily crank up a 26x12 3 blade with the 106 without losing any power.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:21 AM
aparchment

Default keep em comin'

Thanks for the advice on the Duralites Bryan. I will look into the weights and see what I may be saving.

Flyinrazrback, it's too late for me to consider the 3W. I already have my DA100 as of yesterday.

I will keep you guys posted as the build progresses.

By the way, did you guys stay with flat style hinges or switch to Robart hinge points?

Antony
Old 02-08-2003, 02:32 PM
flyinrazrback

I used the nelson flat hinges on mine, but robarts work just as well, personal preference
Old 02-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Diablo-RCU

Say Antony:
You mentioned that AW has pictures of the can installation on their website. This is true, but it's for a 40% plane, which has a much larger and longer fuselage. It is very difficult to find the room in the 33% plane...I know because I own one. If you do manage to install the cans, please post some pictures on RCU....it will be a first. Not only do you have to find room for the cans, but you also need to make sure you have enough cooling air flow for the cans, and also avoid the wing tube. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:08 PM
aparchment

Default will do

You're right Diablo, the Aeroworks installation photos are for the bigger plane. I have a message in to DA asking which KS pipes they recommend for that engine and what the dimensions are of the DA100 with the KS cans so I can figure a way to fit this stuff into the fuse. Judging by the space in the fuse I think I will have enough cooling air flow.

I will definitely document whatever solution I come up with.

Antony
Old 02-08-2003, 09:14 PM
aparchment

Default will do

You're right Diablo, the Aeroworks installation photos are for the bigger plane. I have a message in to DA asking which KS pipes they recommend for that engine and what the dimensions are of the DA100 with the KS cans so I can figure a way to fit this stuff into the fuse. Judging by the space in the fuse I think I will have enough cooling air flow.

I will definitely document whatever solution I come up with.

Antony
Old 02-10-2003, 01:11 AM
IFLY3W

Default I have pipes in my 33% ARF

I have pipes in my 33% ARF from AW. It wasn't real hard to do, just a little time consuming. About the thing about the pipes hitting the wing tube?? NOPE!!!! The pipes fit right under teh base platform for all the radio gear, basically, extend out that plank to the bottom of the motorbox and you have a winner! Only thing that you may have to do it bend IN(left/right) header on your engine to get the pipes to fit in the tunnel. Hot air exhuast right behind LG plate. With a wall in the bottom of the fuse right at the former behind the wingtube. Temps are around 160F, and that was on syn oil on BREAK-IN!!!!

My digi cam is in the shop gettign a "tune-up," so I wont be able to post pics until I can get to a friends place to use his.

Good Luck!!

Chris~
Old 02-10-2003, 04:41 AM
aparchment

Default pipe installation pics

Awesome Chris!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Antony