Airspace Score Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airspace Score Poll

All,
There has been a lot of discussion on this in the airspace control thread, So I started this poll. Here are the official rules:

There was a suggestion to deduct 1 point for each manuever that is not flown so "it can be optimally judged" 10 manuevers 10 points.

There was also discussion on wether flying in the sun should be a downgrade, because a manuever flown in the sun can not be optimally judged.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Airspace Score Poll

1 point per maneuver, no deduction for the sun. Benifit of doubt given to the pilot.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
SBerkheimer

What does the IMAC rules say about flying into the sun and deductions? Bill, we need a quote here. I personally have not deducted for a pilot flying into the sun specifically but usually by doing so the manuever suffers and then come the deductions. If A pilot was able to fly through the sun and still flew the maneuver with no mistakes then I would have given it a 10.

Shawn
Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SBerkheimer

What does the IMAC rules say about flying into the sun and deductions? Bill, we need a quote here. I personally have not deducted for a pilot flying into the sun specifically but usually by doing so the manuever suffers and then come the deductions. If A pilot was able to fly through the sun and still flew the maneuver with no mistakes then I would have given it a 10.

Shawn

I did a search of the 2007-2008 Scale Aerobatic regulations and could not find the word "sun".
Old 01-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

To me the sun is a moot point because:

The pilot is standing, the judges are typically sitting!!

The pilot is typically 10-15 feet away from the judges!

This means the pilot may fly through the sun, but the judges would see the plane much better, or visa versa the pilot not fly through the sun, but the judges have the sun directly in their eyes. This in simply not controllable with the above statements making the difference. Depending on how the field is set up, the pilot may be farther away or one judge stand up etc etc etc.

IMO we all have our favorite brand of sunglasses and the one's I wear do pretty well in the sun. Yes I loose sight for a split second, but that is all. I surely don't loose control at that time and have performed rolls, avelanches etc directly in the sun and the manuever was done very well, by the same token I have seen people miss their points by 180 degrees (oops there goes another zero)

This rule, IMO, was not designed to include any judgement of the sun.

Just my $.02

Ed
Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM
knormang

Last time I flew IMAC was early 90's. I seem to recall a scoring rule called "Presentation' or something like that.I never eperienced a contest where it was ever used, but I was always of the opinion that the contestant who could not only score each manouvre well but could always sew the whole thing together at the right height ,distance and centered in the box deserved to be recognised above one who's individual manouvre scores may heve been good. but were flown in a 'messy' fashion. My opinion then and now.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I don't know about this one.
One persons perception of good airspace control will vary greatly from another persons..
Interesting concept though.

Chris