Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

40% too big?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 AM
dhawks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40% too big?

Last fall I had the opportunity to spend four days at the Don Lowe Masters at Triple Tree, S.C. If you've ever been to Triple Tree for the Joe Nall or any other event, then you know what a great venue it is. Huge golf course grass runway, and almost limitless overfly area. This makes it a perfect place for flying giant scale aerobatics. Most of you have probably seen the video clips of the freestyle routines from the Masters competition, but what I would like to comment on is the precision sequence portion of the competition. Video, in my opinion, does not do it justice. You have to see it in person to realize the amount of airspace the planes are using. In contrast to the freestyle routines that are done down low in front of the crowd, the precision sequences are flown higher, (never lower than above treetop level) wider and further away. I would like to hear some thoughts on the practicality of 40% size aircraft sequence flying at a "normal" R/C flying site. With acreage at a premium these days, most R/C sites are shrinking, if not vanishing all together. So, are 40% planes too big for the average flying site?

P.S. I know someone will jump in a say "I can harrier my 40% whatever around in less space than gramps with his Ugly Stick", but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to precision aerobatic sequences.

Dennis
Old 02-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: 40% too big?

The real question here is what is a normal size RC flying site. I also have unimited airspace and many of the contests I go to also have this "luxury", but we are in a rural area of Tx.

I can honestly say, without exageration at times my 41% Extra is close to 3/8 to 1/2 mile away from me. I had a muffler fall off a number of years ago and I was looking for it, at a really close distance (comparatively) and my buddy just kept shaking his head, got in his car and drove what I thought was Waaayyy out there and he found it.

Since then, the sequences have been designed to allow a little closer flying, but a nice roller is still a huge proposition, and much better looking that way.

It was said once on here not every field is acceptable for turbines, too short of runway ect ect, there are some fields that simply do not support giant scale. Each pilot would have to evaluate the field size as well as other concerns (field rules etc) then decide if GS is a good idea or not.

Ed
Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
bpcfod

Hi guy's....Being from ca. bay area.I can relate to too big!!Our local feilds do allow 40% planes.But The batix box box gets very small fast..Each year that goes by more houses move in.I fly a 35% plane and it works very well for the space at all my local feilds.But 40% planes seem to fly that much more solid than 35%.As you probably already know.It sucks that we are slowly looseing our space to fly!!Ill relocate soon I think...Bcause its fly or die for me!!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am hooking up my old 70 ft Stunt lines to my 42% Extra -
that should keep me at --a 140ft circle - unless I up the power then both me and the plane may make a larger circle --- It is already a bit large for my car
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35802.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	614741  
Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
rcblimppro

ORIGINAL: bpcfod

Hi guy's....Being from ca. bay area.I can relate to too big!!Our local feilds do allow 40% planes.But The batix box box gets very small fast..Each year that goes by more houses move in.I fly a 35% plane and it works very well for the space at all my local feilds.But 40% planes seem to fly that much more solid than 35%.As you probably already know.It sucks that we are slowly looseing our space to fly!!Ill relocate soon I think...Bcause its fly or die for me!!

What fields in Northern Ca won't allow a 40% airplane?

Shawn
Old 02-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Stuart D

I would say that most pilots fly the box way to big . I have started to judge unlimited over
the last 12 months and I have trouble just seeing some of the planes . They are
either to high or to far out .

There are very few fields that can cover an entire IMAC or pattern box and i think it
has more to do with flying style and judging criteria than the patterns them selves .

To judge the back of the box is impossible but I have given a ZERO for not being able
to see the plane . I hope this encourages the pilot to fly a little smaller and closer
the next time .

Stu
Old 02-09-2007, 12:56 PM
dhawks

Stu,

One of the arguments that I've heard for larger aircraft is that they present better. That is true to a point, but if the plane is flown far enough away, it looks as small to the judges anyway. I don't know how much linear space the masters pilots were covering with their aircraft, but it was a lot. The full scale IAC box is 1 kilometer, and I bet some 40%ers come close to breaking that.

Dennis
Old 02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can fly my COMPY SX at a smaller venue then my ugly stik used to require... they are bigger... not faster.. speed dictates how much sky you need... and landing speed dictates how much runway...
Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM
crfabbro
My Feedback: (56)

I agree most people fly too far away , I guess to hide mistakes. I can fly the IMAC stuff with my 40% on even
a smallish field. I don't think you need more space just because of the size, just pull in closer!