IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Future Don Lowe Masters events cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Don Lowe Masters events cancelled

I normally don't post in this forum, but I thought this might be of interest.

My Dad told me about this last weekend. Official announcement on the Joe Nall website today.

Here is what they said:

"The Confederate Air Farce has decided to redirect our efforts to improving the Joe Nall and the Youth Masters events at Triple Tree. For that reason the 2006 Don Lowe Masters will be our last. We feel like our continuing commitment is to provide fun, fellowship, and hospitality at a beautiful facility dedicated to our AMA members enjoyment. "

The reason given my Dad was the difficulty raising money for the event. Too bad, as this was the clear successor to the TOC in format, drawing from the best flyers in the world. Hopefully, someone will pick up the tradition in the future.

Jon Lowe
Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 PM
BobbyRichardson

Default RE: Future Don Lowe Masters events cancelled

Is your dad Don Lowe?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:28 PM
jonlowe

Yes.

Jon
Old 03-28-2007, 10:35 PM
flybyme

Did your dad do an instrucional video or DVD on engine mounting?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 PM
jonlowe

No, he is the previous president of the AMA, Hall of Fame inductee, many time competitor in the TOC, and a long time columnist for RCM magazine until its demise. He was close friends with Bill Bennett, who founded the TOC as it migrated to Giant Scale, which led directly to IMAC as it is known today. He worked closely with Bob Godfrey on his giant scale designs, testing the prototypes in many cases, which many, many TOC competitors flew and won with. He's still extremely active in RC, flying any decent day.

He worked closely with Pat Hartness who owns Triple Tree site of the Joe Nall, the Youth Masters, and the Don Lowe Masters. He worked closely with Pat and the rest of the Confederate Air Farce as the Masters was conceived many years ago, and was honored by having it renamed after him a few years ago, as it grew into a major international event, drawing the best pilots in the world.

Jon
Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
OnTheEdge

It's a shame about the demise of this event. I had the pleasure of being at the Masters last year and the distinct honor of meeting your father. It was an absolutely terrific event that I will remember forever.

Jon, does anyone own the naming rights to the "Masters"? Has your father entertained the idea of moving it to another venue?

..............Mark

P.S. My friend (as722) told me that it's my fault that the Masters is no longer. I went to the TOC for the first time in 2002 and the next year it was discontinued. Went to the Masters for the first time last year now it's discontinued. I think the folks from Nascar and NFL should pay me not go to the Daytona 500 or the Superbowl. I guess I'm the kiss of death.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:13 AM
jonlowe

No one owns the name. It was not "his" event. It was named after him after being called just "The Masters" for many years. He was not a principal is setting it up, but he has been chief judge several times. At 82 years old, he still flies everyday he can, but he isn't up to heading up an event like this.

I guess things change. The TOC drove a lot of innovation and technology in RC for many years, and it looked like the DL masters would do the same. It was already driving noise down dramatically for large scale aircraft, and it was likely that advances in aerodynamics such as side force generators might have been allowed in the future to drive technology. I don't see any other event really following on in its footsteps at this point.

Jon
Old 03-31-2007, 12:49 PM
OnTheEdge

Thanks Jon. What I was getting at is could some other club host the "Don Lowe Masters" without an issue with the naming of the event. Not sure if the Confederate Air Farce has rights to an event named "The Masters" as it applies to the modeling hobby.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:21 PM
jonlowe

AFAIK, there are no trademarks involved. Conceivably, it could be picked up.

Jon
ORIGINAL: OnTheEdge

Thanks Jon. What I was getting at is could some other club host the "Don Lowe Masters" without an issue with the naming of the event. Not sure if the Confederate Air Farce has rights to an event named "The Masters" as it applies to the modeling hobby.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

sorry to learn that there will not be anymore Masters...It was certainly among the best!!!will your dad be at top gun later this week?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 PM
EXCAP232

Jon,
What a shame. I hope this is picked up and continues. I had the pleasure of seeing the event and all the best pilots in the world. Never had the chance to go to a TOC so I'm really glad to have made this last one. As with any event it does take a ton of work.
Best regards,
Bill