Difference between IMAC and Pattern

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Difference between IMAC and Pattern

Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 PM
darylm44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between IMAC and Pattern

I am new to the hobby and am having a difficult time finding information that explains the difference between IMAC and Pattern flying. I have probably just missed it but a quick short description of each would be helpful.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Difference between IMAC and Pattern

I'll take a quick stab at it...

The main difference is in the upper classes.

In Basic (IMAC) or Sportsman (NSRCA or Pattern) you can fly any plane that is AMA legal. So the difference for the newbies is very minor and is seen in the sequences and the box (Manuevering area). Now this is a very minor difference as the same maneuvers are flown in both IMAC and Pattern.

At the second level Sportsman (IMAC) and Intermediate (NSRCA-Pattern) it starts to become different. The game is still similar in that you fly the plane through a series of sequences and you are judged on how well you perform them. Here are some of the differences. The higher you go in each class the more challenging the sequences. The basic set of rules apply to all classes.

Here are the main difference:

Planes...
IMAC - Any plane that represent a competition full scale aerobatic plane within 10% scale. Weight must be within AMA rules. IMAC planes normally have some level of coupling in control surfaces because of the design requirements. I believe some designs are getting close to purpose built Pattern planes.

Pattern - Any plane that is 11 pounds or under, and the wing span and length is not more than 2 meters. In the lower classes the pilot skills will have more bearing on the scoring than the plane itself. In the upper classes (Advanced and higher) the pilots skills are closer from pilot to pilot and the purpose built 2M Pattern plane will start to serve it's purpose. The purpose built Pattern plane is designed to fly very nuetral (little to no coupling). A good plane in bad hands still flies poorly...Don't ask me how I know...

Cost...
Very close at each level. you can spend a little or go full blown with similar cost in both.

Plane Set up...
It is the same for both, use the same trim methods for both. If not trimmed well, both types of planes will not fly well. If trimmed properly, the difference in feel will be minimal between the two.

Contests...
Both are very similar but each have there own rules with regard to the sequences and manuevering area or Box. Having competed in both at the lower level, I got the same feeling and were ran very similar. Some pilots fly both.

In summary, both are very rewarding and it becomes a personal preference. Both styles of planes will draw attention at the flying field when you enter contest and watch your skills improve.

My recommendation is take your favorite aerobatic plane and attend both types of contest. You will have someone there willing to help you. Then decide which way to go.

Conclusion...If anyone tells you one is better than the other, and eventually someone will, they have probably not flown the other type. It is really what you prefer....For me, I enjoy both...Basic in IMAC and Intermediate in Parttern.

Don't know if this helps you, but good luck and go find a contest...It's shouldn't be legal to have that much fun...

Larry Diamond
AMA 5024
Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 PM
sweetpea01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple more differences......

IMAC.....

takeoff and landing are not scored
You fly 2 sequences each flight
You have unknown sequences (they are sequences handed out after day 1.....you are not allowed to fly them, or practice on a sim. You can use a stick plane to help visualize the sequence.
Unknowns are not thrown out.
Known sequences change every year
This is where the Tuscon Aerobatic shootout (TAS) is held
IMAC has the Nats also

Pattern.....

takeoff and landing is scored
there are no unknowns
sequences change every few years
Pattern pinnacle is the Nats and Worlds

I fly both also.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 AM
darylm44

Thanks, that helps a lot. Maybe I will feel up to trying one or both next year. Right now I am just learning how to fly. I have started to practice some of the moves on my simulator and think it is helping my flying.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:03 PM
sweetpea01

I'd suggest go to either.........

In my region IMAC is bigger and has more younger flyers.

But I found that both helped with my flying more than I thought possible and both had groups of people willing to help and lend parts/planes if needed!
The following users liked this post:
CharlieL51 (04-05-2023)
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really cannot help much with Pattern beyond what has already been offered. I fly IMAC in the lower classes, Basic to me more accurate. I started flying a GP Cap232 with a DA50 and took 6th in my first contest out of nine. The judges were very helpful in pointing out what I needed to work on and I did just that. the very next contest and most everyone in that contest I flew against in the previous one and I was also judged by the same people as well. I took second place flying a C-Arf 2.3M Extra. The next two I took first so I achived my goal so it's time I move up.

I'm heading to Bowie MD in a few hours and will be flying Sportsman there at CAPI. I'm lucky enough to have a few good Unlimited and Advanced pilots to watch me as well as lower class pilots that have been to the judging schools and all wonder why I did not move up sooner.

As to getting help, it's like at most clubs I have been a member of or have visited. Most everyone is willing to lend a hand. As an example. At my second contest I had a JR8611A servo on my rudder start twitching. Afte rthe round was over, one of the other pilots walked up to me with a brand new in the package 8611a and told me to go ahead and use it. Here was a person I had never met before that offered me that servo. It actually floored me. I actually did borrow the servo and when I tried to give it back at the end of the contest he would not hear of it. I later found out his address and such and sent him a money order to cover the cost which he promptly sent it back explaining that he was glad I was there competing and most pilots want the competition so it's not uncommon to do stuff like that.

Since then I have offered many a pilot to hold the plane during startup, call if needed and just about anything else I can.

I've been to pattern meets where I see the same thing, pilots out having a good time and helping out where needed.

To sit and actually watch a contest can be a bit boring unless you know exactly what is going on but I always tell everyone to ask the contest director if they need scribes for the judges and volunteer to help. What a scribe does is write down the scores as the judges call it to them, run the score sheets to the scorekeeper, grab the judges a drink or whatever. You'll be surpised just what you will learn.

All I'm saying is go to one, offer to help out, ask questions and be completely honest in any summary of your skills when asked. No one is going to put you down, in fact just the opposite, the next thing you will know is you will have someone helping you to setup your plane, talk you through the maneuvers and give you so much info you possbly cannot absorb it all at once.

And most of all, have a load of fun, that's what both types are all about
Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Great Post Bill. I couldn't agree more with the your sentiments. I've been flying IMAC for 10 years now. I have flown in one pattern contest and plan to fly more- I am working on completing my plane now. Fly pattern or fly IMAC- to me, they are both very satisfying and worthwhile- and fun!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flying at the local club and there is lots of fun and comradarie to be had- but at the contests I have gone to and through the friendships I have developed with flyers from other clubs and other states, I just really find it is the friendliest and most fun atmosphere of any flying I do.
Bill's story about the servo is not unusual (though a very generous example). Maybe you'll have the same kinds experiences that we've enjoyed.

To add to the answers to your first question- find out who is flying IMAC or pattern near you and check it out. You can find IMAC contests at www.mini-iac.com - then click on your region and there will be a drop down box for contests and contest results. The pattern website is www.nsrca.org - click on the district websites link on the right hand side of the page and you should be able to find upcoming contests in your district.

Dave
Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Pattern is only about precision aerobatics. There is a defined aerobatic box and geometric centering of center zone manuevers is one of the judging criteria. You must maneuver the model precisely within the aerobatic box to score well and do not need to be concerned with impression scoring to compensate for the lack of a defined box. Also, the sequences are longer, with roughly twice as many figures per sequence as with IMAC. Unknowns exist only in certain FAI contest venues, typically in the finals for the Nationals or potentially some other large or high stakes event. The K-factor targets for the sequences are achieved through figure selections that do not require a large number of snap rolls to raise the number, i.e. there is a higher emphasis on geometric complexity than adding snap rolls to figures.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

Pattern is only about precision aerobatics. There is a defined aerobatic box and geometric centering of center zone manuevers is one of the judging criteria. You must maneuver the model precisely within the aerobatic box to score well and do not need to be concerned with impression scoring to compensate for the lack of a defined box. Also, the sequences are longer, with roughly twice as many figures per sequence as with IMAC. Unknowns exist only in certain FAI contest venues, typically in the finals for the Nationals or potentially some other large or high stakes event. The K-factor targets for the sequences are achieved through figure selections that do not require a large number of snap rolls to raise the number, i.e. there is a higher emphasis on geometric complexity than adding snap rolls to figures.

Don't forget that unless it has changed this year, the takeoffs and landings are scored in Pattern as well, but not in IMAC

Oh yea, I did not move up to Sportsman at CAPI as Mike can attest to (he was the CD for it). I'm actually glad I didn't as I took first over 11 or 12 (I think we started with 11 but someone did not show up on Sunday) others and that was not feeling very well at all on Saturday and breaking a header during the last maneuver in the "unknowns" on Sunday (basic does not fly "unknowns per se, they usually do one sequence of the knowns they normally fly) so I felt pretty good about myself. I'm heading to Del-WG this weekend.

As another example of how we help each other out. Both myself and whaturi been working with sinergy and aerobat the last two weekends down in DE and have watched these two come around nicely. sinergy claims he's gonna get anywhere from 1st to 3rd. What he does not know is although we helped them, maybe we did not give them all they needed to know Nah of course we did. I hope they do kick some butt
Old 09-29-2007, 07:29 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Both great, patern planes are very single purpose airplanes while imac planes can be flown in free style, contest or just for fun.

Albert
Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Daryl,

Being that you are just learning to fly - I had an old time Pattern jockie fly my CG Skylark 70 and he was very impressed...that might be a good choice for your first low-winged airplane.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

I've flown both Pattern and IMAC at the lower levels. To me, the flying and contests in lower classes are so similar it's hard to tell them apart except for a slight format difference. The big difference to me is that while you can fly smaller planes in IMAC they are not the norm and you may feel the need to have a large plane to fit in. In pattern it's fairly common to see people flying planes as small as .40 size and very common to see planes .90 to 1.20 size. That said, IMAC contests seem to be more common. If you have contests for each discipline in your area go to one of each and see what you think. I'm certain you'll have a good time no matter which you choose, assuming you decide to choose. Some people fly both regularly.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
rcprecision
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmm,

I beg to differ about pattern aircraft being single purpose. Watch the video below and form your own opinion.

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8neneUJc8]YouTube_vid[/link]
Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
DRC1

Let me say first.....WOW!!!!!!!! Yep, looks like a purpose built Pattern plane with a single purpose in mind..."Having fun".....Gotta love it....

Great Flying!!!!!!!!

LLD
Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM
bubbagates

Yep, seen that video before. I never get tired of seeing those 50 foot tailslides coming stright down and catching them at the very last second
Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Silent-AV8R

I highly recommend anyone who is currently flying only IMAC to get some stick time on a well trimmed pattern plane.

All I can say is that you only "think" you know what straight is. A well trimmed pattern plane is a sheer delight to fly.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 AM
sweetpea01

I agree.......

But there is still much to be said for a nice trimmed gas plane as well.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I noticed some friggin' sweet maneuvers being flown at the Worlds this year. I don't think that two-turn rolling vertical S's are in the IMAC catalog of maneuvers...If Pattern/FAI contests were more common, and more local, I'd be up for it.
2008 will be my first year in IMAC, though, and I expect to have fun with it, too.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
sweetpea01

BW---there is a good pattern contest in Tucson every year at Sunvalley fliers.

Most of the pattern flying in our region is in North Cali though. I'm not sure Vegas is holding a Pattern contest this year as over the last 2 yrs the attendance has dropped to extreme low levels while the IMAC has risen to outstanding levels..
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be Phoenix not Tucson for Sun Valley Fliers.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: quist

Do you guys fly Warbirds there?? [&:]
Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 AM
quist

NO I have switched to hair dryers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81063.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	808412  
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Silent-AV8R

Big Loops, fast rolls!! Looks like fun!!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 AM
sweetpea01

ORIGINAL: quist

Thanks.......I screwed that one up!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:57 AM
quist

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Big Loops, fast rolls!! Looks like fun!!
It will do even more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.