Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Aeroworks 29% Katana with a 3W 75i?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 PM
les40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks 29% Katana with a 3W 75i?

I picked up a RTF Aeroworks 29% Katana cheap and after flying it with a G62 in it, decided the G62 and a DA50 wouldn't be enough engine for it at my altitude and typical flying temperatures. I picked up a 3W 75i and am currently installing the engine into the airplane. The 3W 75i isn't that much heavier than the G62 that came out and the airframe seemed to handle the weight OK. The airplane only has about 1200 sq in. of wing area though. I want to have a competitive airplane in the IMAC Basic class. Any thoughts on how my flight performance in the Basic pattern may suffer from the higher wing loading than most airplanes in the field? So far I have only come up with one and that is that the aircraft will accelerate more on the downlines that an airplane with lighter wing loading. Eventually I plan to put the 3W 75i into a Comp ARF 2.3 m which I think is the ideal airplane for it. Any thoughts of any more negatives of the larger engine? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Aeroworks 29% Katana with a 3W 75i?

i think your downlines may be slower than u think since you will be running a larger prop acting as a brake on the d-lines. Keep us posted on how things work for your needs....
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
les40
My Feedback: (1)

I hope you're right. I have a Biela 3 blade 23X10 that may help slow the downline speed.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
catfish2
My Feedback: (43)

Just be careful with your landing speeds or any during any other low air speed manuvers, stall speed will go up as wing loading increase. I had one with a DA50, so I was on the other side of the scale and needed nose weight. Should be an good craft for competition, I don't compete but the plane flew nice crisp lines with very little mixing needed.