Hinging Question

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Hinging Question

Old 04-19-2003, 08:52 PM
milobee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinging Question

I'm starting to put together my AW 33% Edge 540T. I decided to use Robart hinge points and have the holes drilled into the wings and ailerons. At the field today. An extremely knowledgeable flier mentioned that I might try drilling out the individual pins in the hinge points and replace them with a 3' (or so) long wire. This would allow easier cleaning of the hinges and the ability to remove the control surfaces in the future. Anybody have any thoughts on this one way or the other? Note that this is my first big plane (over 25%).

Thanks,
-Doug C.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:34 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Hinging Question

Maybe I am not sure what he is trying to say but, with what you describe your gonna have a hard time getting the two surfaces close enough to eachother without having to modify a place for the tube to recess in
90% or more of the giant scale planes you will see fly use standard robart hinge points...
Old 04-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Robart Mods

I've never really found a need to remove a surface. I use Robarts stock and countersink them a little into the hingelines. After everything is done, I seal the hingelines with MonoKote. They've been easy to clean...i just twist up a paper towel and one wipe and the hingelines are clean. Also, sealing the hingelines increases control effectiveness. If the gaps are sealed, there would be no way to remove them anyway. That mod might be nice if you absolutely had to remove them because of transporting issues, but I'd still hate to be without the gaps being sealed. Just my opinion on it...that's the way I do it.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:32 PM
milobee

Default Hinging Question

Thanks, I appreciate your responses. It was an interesting idea, but I agree with your thoughts. I'm just going to use the standard installation.