Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Midwest Extra flat vs. airfoil tail...much difference?

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Midwest Extra flat vs. airfoil tail...much difference?

Old 04-21-2003, 02:53 AM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Extra flat vs. airfoil tail...much difference?

Anyone know how much difference the new airfoiled tail makes on the Midwest Extra 80"? Is is very easy to notice? I am asking in relation to IMAC patterns and some 3D flying.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 04-22-2003, 06:22 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Midwest Extra flat vs. airfoil tail...much difference?

I have the flat tail version myself, and wish I could say the diff in the 2 of them. I can say though that I have heard there's not a big diff in them.
If you do have the flat version though, I stress the need for flying wires...as that in itself is a big diff in the 2 planes.
The foiled tail has built in triangulation, and therefore has no need for the flying wires...being a standard Dtube structure it is very stiff and strong.
The flat tail on the other hand has no triangulation for rigidity, and without the flying wires has way to much flex...until the wires are added. It takes on a whole new character I'm sure. I don't really know, as I've never flown mine without them, nor would I.
What I did though was instead of using stranded/wound metal wire, I used coated kevlar,,,this also alleviated any Rf interferance possibity that might exist if metallic wire is used.
My flat tail version is very tight though in the tail structure, as most are when assembled correctly.
I don't know if this helps at all, but it's just a few thoughts I wanted to share....good luck with your plane.
I think the Midwest Extra is one of the best kits I've ever built for sure. Take care .
Old 11-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Floater-RCU

Default RE: Midwest Extra flat vs. airfoil tail...much difference?

dgrant, could you possibly post a couple pics of your tail wires for me. I am building one of the first run of the flat tail kits and there is no instructions at all on where to place them and having never done tail wires before any help at all would make a world of difference.
Thanks,
Floater.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Flip and Fly

I have the new air foiled tail on my plane. I have no experience with the flat tail version but this one fly's like its on rails. No significant pitch roll coupling at all and very responsive to inputs on the elevators. The only thing I would warn against is that you use the lightest sheeting you can find in the kit for the tail if you are building this setup. I built my tail without the hard wood spars but used stranded packing tape to strengthen the hard balsa used in place. Plenty of strength for that small area!

I hear that the flat tail version fly's as well, however I wonder if it is a responsive to elevator control. The fin and rudder is flat on both version. Have fun!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:34 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I have flown the Flat tailed and airfoiled tail version of the Midwest Cap. (same wing and tail Different fuse) Yes there is a difference. The Airfioled stab flys smoother, AND 3d's better (move stable in harriors) If you have the choice go with the airfoiled.

While we are talking about choice the DA 50 is an amazing mont for this plane.

Rob