TT TOC 260, 100cc or Aeroworks 260, 100cc which would be best for Basic IMAC

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

TT TOC 260, 100cc or Aeroworks 260, 100cc which would be best for Basic IMAC

Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT TOC 260, 100cc or Aeroworks 260, 100cc which would be best for Basic IMAC

Need help on decision, have flown at a couple of IMAC contests in BASIC level. I've decided to purchase one of the following; TT TOC extreme, extra 260, 100cc or Aeroworks, extra 260, 100cc, will use DA 100cc engine and Futaba 12FGA, 2.4 radio. I don't have the time to build a kit plane, so would rather choose an ARF and spend more time practicing flying, thanks for any help.....
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: TT TOC 260, 100cc or Aeroworks 260, 100cc which would be best for Basic IMAC

Why don't you take the time and read the build threads for both these airplanes?

The TT is also called SD Models. AW is Aeroworks.

The difference in price reflects the difference in finish and hardware. It's very hard to beat the AW in that department... I don't own any of these two, so can't tell you how they fly.

I do own the Pacific Planes Extra 260 35% which is a clone of the Aeroworks (both put together by the same factory and about identical in all aspects).

This plane flies great, is as complete as the Aeroworks, has a great hardware package including CF parts everywhere. I can tell you it flies great for IMAC - certainly for basic.

Check it out - I think it's cheaper than the AW...
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: TT TOC 260, 100cc or Aeroworks 260, 100cc which would be best for Basic IMAC

Yarom ~ thanks for the reply. I'd like to stay under 32oz/ft. wing loading and on the lite side of 26 - 28 lbs with a DA 100. I know what the ads say, but maybe someone has some actual experience after putting these planes together.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have flown the AW260 in Basic and some in Sportsman. The plane is very stable and easy to fly. Floats on landings and will 3-d if you want it too.

You will be closer to the 28lb range unless you do some major weight saving. I have not flown the PP 260, but it is a dead ringer for the AW and cheaper.

I liked the 260 so much that after its untimely death a year ago.......I finally picked up a good used one that I'm recovering with a custom scheme.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

My Pacific Planes Extra 260 comes in dead even at 26lbs. with the DA-100 and regular mufflers.

I did not do anything particular to save weight. If anything, I beefed up some areas around the landing gear with tri-stock and epoxy. I used mostly all of the supplied hardware and added some nice pro-links.

I am using a Power Expander, Hitec 5955s all around and three A123 2300mah battery packs.

I think I saw somewhere they were running a promotion lately. Might be worth it to call them and see if you could get one for less than the advertised price. I got mine very cheap...

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Yarom ~ thanks for the reply. I'd like to stay under 32oz/ft. wing loading and on the lite side of 26 - 28 lbs with a DA 100. I know what the ads say, but maybe someone has some actual experience after putting these planes together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41075.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	949276  
Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM
isabel

Hi there, I thought I would chime in. I fly an Aeroworks Extra 260 35% in IMAC. It's an excellent airplane in all respects, and in fact it is becoming more and more popular around here.

I go the plane about a year ago. I share it with my boyfriend, we both compete together, and in a year we've had over 1500 flights on it, including 11 competitions. It's definitely a very durable plane. We recently got a second identical one, to serve as a back-up. A pleasant surprise was that the tiny details we noticed as not perfect (canopy dowels wearing off for example) could have been improved were all addressed in the new ARF.

This airplane assembles very quickly, flies very well. We've flown it in the Basic, Sporstman and Intermediate classes, but I've seen it fly up to unlimited here in Quebec. With a good engine (DA-100 is perfect) it will definitely do what you want it to do.

The only disadvantage I see is that there are starting to be a lot of these around, with similar schemes so not it looks a bit generic. A bit like driving a silver Toyota Corolla around here. Anyways, there's a reason it's so popular - and I highly recommend it. Don't hesitate to write if you have any questions. This is our setup:

DA-100 with canisters, HS-5955 everywhere, Futaba 9cap 2.4, Emcotec powerbox (MINI 5), 2 x 4000mhA Nimhs into the powerbox, various Nimhs on the ignition... we don't care too much about battery weight, just wanna fly all day
Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 AM
[email protected]

Hi Sweetpea ~ thanks for the endorsement of the AW 260, 100cc and its twin from PP. It's always nice when someone loose's one plane and then get's another just like it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 AM
[email protected]

Hi Isabel ~ great endorsement for the AW 260, 100cc plane. Getting 1500 flights on a ARF type plane is very okay and also if it was with the Futaba 2.4 ghz system. I'm curious, I get many more flights when I changed to Lithium type batteries, away from the Nimh's. Do you have a reason for still using the Nimh's? Also, with the Futaba 6014FS - RX I'm using the Smartfly 14mz to buffer up the signal voltage to an even 5V so something won't drop out. I quess the Powerbox is doing the same thing for you on the Futaba 7 or 8 Ch, 2.4 RX ? Thanks again for your info.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
isabel

Hi there, here'a a little bit more info as you asked.

After about 1300 flights we started to need a bit of maintenance on the plane - a few hinges started to feel slack, we glued those back. The only thing that wore out before that is the wooden dowels that hold the hatch down, however they were changed to metal rods in the newer kits. It's still flying great, used it in a contest last weekend. All in all I find this very satisfactory, lots of planes would have desintegrated before then, especially since we fly it in the rain, snow, etc.

For the radio, we bought a Spektrum 2.4 Dx-7 specifically for this plane but it turned out to be defective (loss of signal every time we shook it!). So we stuck with our existing Futaba 9cap and waited for the module for the first year we flew the plane. We got the 8-channel module and receiver about a month ago, it has been working great. To be honest, I like the module system, it allows me to use the PCM receivers as a backup in case I ever had a problem during a contest, and I can fly my other planes which still have PCM without lugging 2 radios around.

As for the batteries. We stuck with the Nimhs because we already had some, are familiar with their behavior, we have the chargers for them, and a good local supplier that makes us custom packs. But we might go to lipos in time if we get a charger and fire-safe box for them in time. Or A123's.

And yes, our powerbox is probably equivalent to the smartfly products. Its functions are: managing two batteries (drawing from the fullest one; isolating one if it shorts out), beeping/flashing warnings of 1 or 2 low batteries, a fail-safe switch (pin), configurable voltage regulation, and some channel splitting to avoid Y connectors. In my opinion the weak point is the wiring between the powerbox and its switch, it has failed several times for us, apparently it's not a widespread problem but it's been one for us. Since it's a fail-safe switch even if the wiring breaks the receiver will remain on, but, the possible problem is that if the switch is in the off position but in a failure (so staying on), you can be duped into taking off with the switch in the off position. Then if the vibration forces a contact again, disaster looms... yes, it has happened. To counter-act the problem we have, we changed how we mounted the powerbox & switch (hope to reduce vibration) and we ensconsed the stress points of the connector with Shoe Goo.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Flying freak

Hi isabel!

Did i see you compete at the 2007 Granby Imac?

do you know what events are held in the area? im looking at maybe trying my hand at basic the granby club is my home field but imac has been canceled this year at that location..

Steven
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
isabel

Hi Steven, yes I was in Granby last year, you guys hosted a nice contest! You can find the IMAC schedule for all of Canada on www.peneloperc.com under "Event schedule 2008" (scroll down to see the Quebec events). There will be events in Montmagny (near Quebec city), Amidair (Mirabel), and at our club in Brossair (Brossard), the latter is probably the closest to you, it will be on September 6-7 and it would be our pleasure to take our turn hosting you. I also know some guys are planning to go to Troy, Vermont on June 21-22, that sounds very close to Granby.

I really encourage you to try the Basic, IMAC is great fun. You can find a lot of information for beginners (like a description of how to fly the basic sequence, all the rules etc) on penelopeRC.com, check it out. Also, Sylvain at your club would be a great coach I think.

But let's not hijack the thread! PM me if I can provide you with more info.

Isabel
Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 AM
wttiger42

Im flying a 35% AW 260 as well. Weighs around 26lbs with a 3w 106. Flys great.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 AM
[email protected]

Update, thanks to the many AW positive remarks. I recently bought a 35% AW, extra 260 model, which I'm going to build with a DA 100, Fromeco or Duralite Lithium batteries, Futaba FASST 2.4 radio system. I'll report back how the flying and trimming goes, .......thanks