Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Dave Patrick 60' span Ultimate

Old 05-17-2003, 02:37 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dave Patrick 60' span Ultimate

This will be my first IMAC aerobat having emensly enjoyed flying (for fun) the origonal Ron Chidgey designed Tiger Tail and over the last several years the Tiger Tail IV as offered by Cajun R/C in the late 1980's My question is this : I have a newly broken in O.S.120 4/C Surpass III with pump and would like to use this as initial power for the Dave Patrick 60" Ultimate- I would certainly appreciate your thoughts on this as a power plant for my new Ultimate
Old 05-17-2003, 04:34 PM
X-Cellant
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should love it if your using it for standard aerobatics but might be lacking a little for 3D stuff.

I have one with a Saito 180 flies great, it will do most 3D. I like flying precision aerobatics, its a lot harder then 3D for me.

a couple suggestions,
1- use a heavier pull pull cable, and heavier cables for the rear flying wires. I had trouble with some breaking.

2- You can use wick hinges, but don't use the ones supplied in the kit. I had two brake on the elev. ( I was doing some very aggressive Patric Snaps ). If I were to build it again I would use Sig Easy Hinges, I have never had one fell :~)
Old 05-17-2003, 06:28 PM
ramcfarland

X-Cellent

Thanks for your input X-Cellent---- How about using the RCS140
or 180 any thoughts out there?? I will use standard hinges such as Du-bro and pin them;I have never had a hinge failure and maybe that is why--Concerning 3-D :have not tried it yet but not interested much any way; as precision aerobatics'to me,' is a thing of beauty! I can remember seeing "Jersey Jim Martin," back in 1971 at our old Prince George's R/C Club field flying his then new Banshee right on the deck,doing 3 rolls (point roll's I think)--I have not been so impressed with an aerobatic performance since seeing Jim's flight that day! Perhaps witnessing a 3-D performance: I.E. a top "3-D pilot,"hovering over a lake and catching a fish, might be more interesting ......Precision flying DOES seem to be lacking at this juncture in our fantastic hobby sport. I will surly learn 3-D when I have the right airframe,power and servos-but to me it's a bore;perhaps having my fingers on the sticks and doing it my self might change my opinion, but I seriously doubt it.
Richard McFarland AMA52920
Old 05-17-2003, 09:44 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i have ran the following motors:

1st satio 180 great
2nd RCS 1.4 decent
3rd OS-160 great

the RCS doesn't have enough power to reallly enjoy the plane 250-300 feet of verticle then it runs out. 8 oz on 12-15 minutes flights of gas so that part was always great. Mine weighted 12 3/4 with the 1.4.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:45 PM
X-Cellant
My Feedback: (1)

Rich, Both engines you mention would be fine, but if I had your OS I would use it before buying a new one. If you use a low pitch prop you will ave plenty of vertical, and won't be fling it to fast.

If this is your first big bipe note that you will want to carry some throttle on landing tell your ready to flare. If you loose your engine you will wont to get to the runway fast.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:10 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Richard,
I love mine. I have had two good years of flying on it with an MDS1.48. The 1.48 pulls fine but is not enough for anything about Sportsman level. You might find that the 1.20 4C will fly the plane and allow you to do some aerobatics but anything above Basic will not be competitive. Dave flew his on a number of engines and recommends the YS 1.40 for it. YS puts out a powerful engine for sure. When I talked to him about the 1.48 he said that it should be fine and it has proven so.
I met a guy with an RCS 1.40 on his and he was able to get around the sky and have some fun but that was it. The extra weight that gas engines add don't do the plane any good.
The Saito 1.8 is a great engine for this plane as well.
Some suggestions.

Mine flies great. I have had a couple of dead stick landings and will contradict what Dave said a little. While you shouldn't try to float the bipe to the ground, fly it in, you'll find that it has some VERY nice glide and flair characteristics that make landings very easy. I have a friend who built the CG Ultimate several years ago and the MINUTE the engine went dead, that thing dropped like a rock. I was prepared for that to happen with mine but that simply wasn't the case.
    Enjoy!!!
    Old 05-20-2003, 12:13 AM
    ramcfarland

Thanks Nik,
    It sounds like the O.S.120III W/pump will stay in my P-47 Thunderbolt pictured in the R/C war birds gallery AND I will reach "deep" in my pocket and go with the YS140;by the way which YS is recommended?

Richard McFarland AMA52920
    Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 PM
    xp8103

Richard,
    The YS 1.40 is the recommended engine. There is even a heard and exhaust that is supposedly for the plane that doesnt require any cutting for clearance. However, a buddy with that setup DID have to cut the cowl a bit.
    There are other less expensive options than the YS. A Saito 1.8 or 1.5. OS and Moki make 2C engines that are a good fit as well. The MDS 1.48 is a great little engine for the money. Mine runs VERY well and has beaucoup gallons of fuel thru it (I think it's starting to loosen internally......)
    Also, make sure you put some right thrust in as well. We had a little aerobatic school up here last year and Jason Shulman came up to teach. When he flew mine his first words were "RIGHT THRUST!!!" I ended up with two washers under the my engine mount! the spinner isn't centered anymore but it SURE flies well!
    Old 05-21-2003, 08:58 PM
    ramcfarland

Nik-Sounds good-where did you get the MDS148 and what prop and fuel??
    Old 05-22-2003, 02:47 PM
    xp8103

Richard,
    The MDS came from my local hobby shop. It was $109 from them although I think the price has come down. I have a Bisson Muffler on it, run a 16x8 APC prop (have tried 16x10 APC and a 17x10 Mejzlik but the 16x8 seems to work best) and run Omega 10% with some extra castor thrown in for lube. An Enya number 3 plug (expensive but well worth it) and lastly, an ASP1.08 carb ($35 from Horizon) as the original made the engine run like crap. The ASP carb turned a boat anchor into an engine with probably 8 or 9 gallons thru it that I can hand start. I have no experience with the new carbs that MDS puts out although they are supposed to have solved the mixture problems now.

For the price, the engine is hard to beat.

Check my gallery for a couple of shots of the Ultimate.
    Old 05-24-2003, 03:24 PM
    locomotive
    My Feedback: (7)

Mine came in at 11 lbs with a YS 140 DZ... that gives it a wing loading of 20oz per sq inch... I can tell you that mine has a wonderful glide ratio and you can slow it way down on landings. I flew Dave's Goldberg Ulty for 6 years... the larger DP Ulty flys even better. I can't say enough about these things... maybe the fact that I bought a backup airframe says it all. When I fly other planes I am always glad I chose the DP Ulty as my aerobat of choice.

Keep it light and spend the bucks to set it up right.... you will be thrilled with it.

Shawn Stickney / Atlanta

Here is a URL to a pic of mine... it has a Saito 180 on it in this pic.... I pulled it in favor of the YS.

http://www.ssimages.com/planes/dpulty.jpg