Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Decisions, Decisions! A couple of questions on the DP/CG Ultimates

Old 05-20-2003, 05:13 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decisions, Decisions! A couple of questions on the DP/CG Ultimates

OK, I crashed my CG Ultimate and really want to get another. It was that good. But I have to admit that I am tempted to go for the 1.20 DP Ultimate. I talked to them and they say there have been several improvements to the current release. I’m trying real hard to find a finished Ultimate because I don’t have the space or time to build(assemble) right now; but not having much luck.

I’ve read a ton of threads on the DP 1.20 Ultimate. Seen all the stuff on giant engines in the DP as the only way to make it go. I only want a 4s glow or gasoline. But I do not/am not going to put a fuel guzzling monster Saito1.80/YS1.40 on a DP Ultimate. It appears this plane is just not going to reach full potential with any of the smaller gas engines that would properly fit this plane. I have not seen anything from someone that mounted an RCS 1.80 or MVVS 2.10 Gasser on this plane (How they fit and flew). So if anyone has done/seen this I would love to hear about it.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:02 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Splais,
First off, having flown both the CG and DP, the DP wins hands down. It's a nicer flying and more forgiving plane, especially on landing.
If one were to put a gasser on the DP, I would suggest putting the servos in the tail. You'll need the balance. My MDS 1.48 with the stock sized tank got a 10 minute flight with plenty of fuel to spare. The MDS is plenty of engine to have fun with the plane and didn't add undo weight to the nose.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:11 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the DP Ultimate airframe is not suitable for gas power. This airplane is really designed to be extremely light. I have thought this over myself. If I were to try the DP Ultimate, I would use an OS 1.60. I do love four strokes, but the big two strokes turn just as slow and sound pretty cool. The fuel consumption on the 1.60 wont be too bad either. For sequence flying, you'll be at 1/3 throttle most of the time.

The big two strokes (1.20 and bigger) are really easy to run. My Webra 1.20 is a pure pleasure. It only turns 9000 on a 16-8 prop, but it's very sweet handling. It starts easily, sips fuel, and is fairly quiet on a Bisson muffler. I have an entire season of strong running on a single glow plug and propeller. I think the OS would be even better.

My friend is putting together a DP Ultimate with the Moki 1.35. This engine was recommended by Dave himself. It should give strong vertical performance but not quite enough for hoverbatics.

I say go for the DP Ultimate with an OS 1.60 and get ready to rock and roll.