Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Snapping at top..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 05:04 PM
kgarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapping at top..

Made first flight today with Sig 300XS (Saito 150). Real good flight behavior, except for the top of a tight loop...spap rolls to the left. Anyone care to list the conditions that lead to this behavior so I can find a resolution path?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2003, 05:24 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is normally caused by too much elevator throw or, sometimes, CG too far rearward. Try reducing elevator throw first and see what happens. Or, just don't pull so hard .

Rein
Old 05-22-2003, 02:30 AM
laser_2004ever

We haven't noticed the situation you've described but it could be caused by a number of things, CG, elevator throw, pulling too tight a loop etc. Just get the CG somewhere in the recommended range and fly the plane. Get accustomed to it and then start experimenting.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:03 AM
X-Cellant
My Feedback: (1)

My gess is there is a little washout in the wing tips to prevent it from stalling on slow landings. But invert the wing and slow it down at the top of a loop and Bingo the wing stalls causing a snap.

As the other guys say, use less elevator and carry more speed through the top of the loop.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:56 AM
drj-RCU

Default ME TOO!

i have a clipped wing cub that initally had the same characteristics...and when youre not expecting it - WOW...what a surprise...and whats more - when you think you should PULL out of the snap...it only gets worse - spiralling down to the ground...

sure enough - too much elevator...now shes predictable and still very aerobatic...
but it was certainly an eye opener!!!