Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Beginning plane - which engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plane recommendations for starting IMAC

Yep, time for a break - I'm losing it...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
bjamesjr
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Yep, time for a break - I'm losing it...
Get used to it, this hobby will do that to you

I'd go with the Venus if you are staying in basic for a while. Look at it this way, for a 2 day contest the average is 3 rounds on Saturday and 2 round on Sunday. Basic takes roughly 5 minutes per sequence and since you do two per round then figure 10 minutes per round, now on Sunday you will only fly one sequence for the first round and then two for the second round. Now total all that up and you have roughly 45 minutes total flying time but those 45 minutes will be the hardest 45 minutes you have ever flown until you get used to it. This only takes into account the contest time. I've heard and agree that one contest equals about 25 full practices flights so figure you need 25 flights to get ready, less if you concentrate and stay focused.

Basic may seem easy looking at the sequences but you need to remember that flying a perfectly wind corrected line, both vertical, horizontal and a 45 degree line is not the easiest thing to do. Now toss in a half roll on a 45 degree line and have the half roll be perfectly centered on the line and things just got a bit harder. There is a bit of work in flying IMAC and you have to discipline yourself a bit but it will certainly make you a better pilot and the camaraderie is like nothing you'll find in most other hobbies

Also, it would certainly be very helpful to learn to read the Aresti, I can certainly help with that via email or PM or other means. If you did not live 600+ miles from me I would certainly help you out, I've done it several times before

So what does this all mean, it can be tough, it takes a good level of dedication, but the new friends you will make, the fun you will have and most importantly you'll have a goal that you can certainly achieve, makes it all worth while and pretty soon all this stuff I've explained won't even matter to you, you'll just go and do it

As far as judging schools and stuff there are at least a dozen really good IMAC pilots in the area for you. John Glazelis in Massachusetts, John Banks in CT, Ray Labonte (I think he's in Maine or Vermont, check composite-arfs web site at www.composite-arf.com, he's a rep for them so you can find his info there and a host of others) Anyone of them will certainly help you out if you just ask. John Banks is a moderator over on FG (RCU chops the name out if I post it).

Tony Banano and Bill Larsey will be hosting several IMAC judging schools next year in the NE region so what out for those. You will see them come up on this web site [link=http://www.thehiddenhangar.com/imac]NE IMAC forum[/link]. I'll be going over the rules along with 2 others in the NE and recommending changes to the IMAC BOD starting very soon and going all the way to the end of next year. I'll be doing some Aresti schools via podcast after the first of next year
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks bjames, I've definitely got plenty to do and learn.
Thanks again guys. I've got my Venus back up and running and have given the thought of a new plane a rest. I'm in my first season flying, ever, and I'm on my 4th and 5th airframes - the idea of me buying another plane, a gas engine...just absurd!

The Venus is such a joy to fly. Now I need to learn how to trim it, tune it, adjust it, and FLY it! Maybe when my skill level is somewhere even close to the capabilities of the Venus II I'll start looking for an IMAC compatible gasser.

Not having a big, stable plane to fly (engine was bad and had to be replaced) really drove me nuts, and I know I drove a few of you nuts because of it, but thanks to everyone for the help, advice, and telling me to chill out in kind words. Hope to see you all next season as I fly my Venus in the Basic IMAC class in as many meets as possible
Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
bjamesjr

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Thanks bjames, I've definitely got plenty to do and learn.
Thanks again guys. I've got my Venus back up and running and have given the thought of a new plane a rest. I'm in my first season flying, ever, and I'm on my 4th and 5th airframes - the idea of me buying another plane, a gas engine...just absurd!

The Venus is such a joy to fly. Now I need to learn how to trim it, tune it, adjust it, and FLY it! Maybe when my skill level is somewhere even close to the capabilities of the Venus II I'll start looking for an IMAC compatible gasser.

Not having a big, stable plane to fly (engine was bad and had to be replaced) really drove me nuts, and I know I drove a few of you nuts because of it, but thanks to everyone for the help, advice, and telling me to chill out in kind words. Hope to see you all next season as I fly my Venus in the Basic IMAC class in as many meets as possible
Don't sweat it. As your signature says, this hobby will do weird things to you and me and just about everyone on RCU and other forums as well at one point or another and possibly still (like me [&:]) but I would not have it any other way. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a huge Sukhoi lover and finally someone makes a 40% one (Airwild) I'll be either flying that one next year or my 40% Carden Cap if I ever get it finished

The pic is exactly the same one I am doing (covering is done) and is exactly like this one with some minor differences

For the further and if you want to stay glow, take a look at the Great Planes performance series planes. I had the Cap 232 with a DA50 on it at it came in at 13.5 pounds and was literally a missile but the wing was one piece and 78 inches long so that limits you. They also have a very nice Yak and a killer Biplane (had one of them at the same time I had the Cap with the same DA50 in it at 16 pounds). A friend of mine had the same one down at 11.5 pounds on an OS160 and would barely keep up with mine up to about 1000 feet then my gas engines power began to really shine and easily pull away and yes I was running the engine a bit rich at that time.

The Carden Cap, the Great Planes Cap and the Great Planes Ultimate

OS 160's are great glow engines and they run best when using FAI fuel (no nitro) Once you get into 15 % nitro your cooling had better be good as they will over heat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93327.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1057191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36052.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1057192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17820.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1057193  
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Jetdesign

The red and blue one is one classy plane...I can't stop clicking on it! Is it a cap? I didn't even know I liked caps.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 PM
bjamesjr

First pic is the 40% Carden Cap 232, it the original color scheme that Michael Goulian used a few years ago

Second pic is the Great Planes 27% Cap 232 for their Performance series

Third pic is the Great Planes Ultimate, also from their Performance series
Old 10-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: bjamesjr

First pic is the 40% Carden Cap 232, it the original color scheme that Michael Goulian used a few years ago...
Beautiful.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Jetdesign

What do you guys think of Hitec servos? I know the pattern guys don't like them for not centering as well as JR and Futaba.

I got myself a nice 25% Yak and am wondering if I should invest in more expensive JR servos for IMAC flying.

Thanks!

Edit: I guess comments on whether or not people program their servos (with a programmer) would be helpful too.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
smarks

Hitec servos are excellent for IMAC. Many guys are running them. The high-end Hitec servos are not much cheaper than JR servos FWIW. I wouldn't spend more than what you need on a 25%.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

My personal advice at this early stage (college to pay for, second season coming up, first IMAC venture, quarter scale model) would be to not torture yourself with getting the ultimate in every component. It's nice to have JR servos, top of the line transmitter, 40% model, etc., but you can do a lot of good flying with Hitec servos. Digital is nice, digital coreless is nicer, programer is nice (once you learn how it works... takes some patient study). If you had cash to burn you could splurge on the best of everything, but without meaning to be insulting about it, learning pilot skills, practice skills, trimming & mixing skills, a whole lot of pilot-centered stuff is more important for the next couple of seasons, more so than the difference between Hitec and JR/Futaba. There are plenty of IMAC flyers driving home with a plaque to hang on the wall, won fair & square with their Hitec servos. When your pilot skills are such that you can fly better than your servos, that will be time enough to get the JR's. I've used JR Sport 126's all around on quarter scale and larger and been happy with my flying. Not the best, but good value and more than adequate for a po' boy to practice with.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:21 AM
FlyerRick

I have used both Hitec & JR servos quite extensively over the years and they are both (depending on the model used) great servos. I don't know what your talking about the Hitec with centering problems???
What do you guys think of Hitec servos? I know the pattern guys don't like them for not centering as well as JR and Futaba.
I have never in all the years had a "centering" problem with a Hitec servo???
For giant scale flying of 25% or larger, if you stay in the Hitec "79" series or the JR "87" series servos you won't be dissappointed in their performance! [8D]
Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Jetdesign

I don't know what your talking about the Hitec with centering problems???
Just from hanging out in the pattern forum. Guys are saying they are not as precise due to a deadband something or other. It's easy to get hung up in all this stuff, but you're totally right in that at this stage I probably wouldn't know the difference, and switching to a more accurate servo when I can actually tell the difference will be a nicer way to go.

Hitec 5625 has all the power I need and tons of speed so is probably the way to go - only $55 as opposed to a JR 8411 for $95.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
FlyerRick

Well I'll tell you right now...at any stage, you would know the difference between a regular servo and a Hitec "79" series or a JR "87" series servo. You can actually SEE the difference right in front of your eyes the first time you actuate the servo on a control surface!

I use the Hitec 5625mg as a throttle servo in most of my build applications. My typical 50 and 85cc class planes I'll run...
Hitec:
7955TG Rudder
7985MG Ailerons & Elevators
5625MG Throttle
or
JR:
8711A Rudder
8611A Ailerons & Elevators
8417 Throttle

When you start getting into the 100cc class then you change things a bit but the basics remain the same!
As far as the Hitec being a "sub-standard" servo to JR...never herd or experenced that either. With the exception of a few guys that like to talk about things they have NO experence with or about nor have ever tried, to actually base their opinions on! [8D]
Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Jetdesign

I guess I'm confused. I definitely noticed and appreciate the difference between my Futaba standard 3004 and my newer JR DS821 digitals. This obviously is JR's bottom line digital servo. Can I assume I'll get similar quality out of the Hitec 56xx, and that this should be fine for where I'm at?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
FlyerRick

I use a Futaba 9 CAP Super all Synthized Radio and recievers but I really don't know anything about the futaba 3004 servo or any of the rest their other servos...I only use Hitec 59 or 79 series or the JR 86 or 87 series servos for all my applications with the exception of the Hitec 5625 for my throttles. [8D]
Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Jetdesign

Ok, thanks for the help. I've got an offer to grab a couple of used JR 8411's for a good price. They're not new but I know he won't sell me junk.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Jetdesign

Here's a pic of my new baby getting acclimatized to the northeast

Of course engine won't be decided until it's installed: YS 110 is wickedly appealing, KISS theory points to the 120AX. Only time will tell...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81985.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1091453  
Old 12-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Jetdesign

I got some gift money to Tower. What do you think of Hitec [link=http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-7975HB]7975[/link] for the stabs without using a programmer?

The other option is the 5965 which has metal gears but lower resolution (don't know what that means to me though).

Thanks