IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

what plane/engine combination for small space/budget

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:00 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what plane/engine combination for small space/budget

Hi,
I flew pattern years ago 70-80's and as planes got larger and more expensive with the higher cost of 4 strokes I like many other went off to other things.Before visiting this forum I must admit that I thought you needed a very large plane and engine plus very deep pockets to be involved in this aspect due mostly to all the member with their pictures of their planes that are larger than my car.what would be a good plane/engine combo that could fit in a mini van?something in the 72" or under size.I do have a magnum 120 4 stroke as well as a 91 and 70 plus plenty of 2 strokes from a s-3000 webra speed 120,91,os 1.08,91 and lots of 61's mostly sf and fsr.I do have a use 41 gas and a zenoah 38.it would be a plus if one of the above engines would be suitable.I have been contemplating trying my wm t-34 with an old webra 60 blackhead with a 13-5 or 12-6 prop for the vertical pulling power.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what plane/engine combination for small space/budget

You could use the Webra Speed 120 on a 72" wingspan aerobat and have decent power. You could go a little smaller on model size, but not much with that engine. If you have a tuned pipe, so much the better. I'd look for 70-72" models, which is a popular size for aerobats in the Horizon, Great Planes and other catalogs & websites. For ultimate power on a 72" size model, the 160FX is the engine to beat.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 AM
FlyerRick

First off I will say that you really need to get your head and your thoughts into the time frame that is right now...2008. Your last dealings with something even remotely close to IMAC flying was, by your own admission, 20 to 30 years ago. A lot of factors, technology, and especially electronics have changed greatly since then.

I myself and some of my friends have started IMAC with a combo like this...
The Plane: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEUP9&P=0]GP 300S 1.60[/link]
[link=http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=288]AW Yak 54 QB 120 (running an OS 1.60)[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTYJ0&P=0]GP Edge 540 (OS 1.60)[/link]

The Engine: [link=http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg0660.html]The unbeatable OS Ringed 1.60 FX[/link]

If your serious about getting started in IMAC and want to learn while having a lot of fun, this is a real good starting point to consider!

Good Luck and have lots of fun!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

You could also think about a 50cc plane the likes of Wild Hare. Their planes are in the 79" range for length (wingspan is immaterial, as the wings are two piece removable). Airframes run $430 to $500, less hardware. A NIB DL-50 will run you ~$390.00 (includes muffler and ignition). hardware is your choice, but go with the best MG servos you can afford. You can get into IMAC with something as simple as Hitec 6xx series servos (non digital) or go all out with digitals.

I have two Wild Hare 50cc birds and they will both fit in our Plymoth Voyager mini-van, with room to spare for other stuff.

I'm not saying that the glow 1.60 size birds are bad, but for just a little more $$$, you can have a 50cc gasser.

My opinion.

Jon
Old 10-03-2008, 11:11 AM
ifshnee-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Aerowoof
A very good recomendation would be use a G-38 & buy a stinger kit of commensurate size. The stinger kit is very cheap and a very good plane (the stinger was the forrunner of the Extra) for IMAC starting. No need to spend big bucks just to think you got to be competitive with a big plane, it can be done just fine with this kind of combo.
I've been competing IMAC for 7yrs and know a little bit about it.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Gungadin

Aerowoof - - You might consider Quique's Aircraft Co. 73" Yak which happens to be on sale at the moment. Or go ahead with your T-34 to get your feet wet and experience flying in a few contests in the basic class and go from there. And what everyone is saying about the OS160 is correct. Would be nice in Quique' 73" YAK or the AeroWorks version. Save up some money. You won't be flying much till spring anyway.