107' Sukhoi for beginner??

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

107' Sukhoi for beginner??

Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 AM
wiz310

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 107' Sukhoi for beginner??

I just purchased a Magic hand 107' Sukhoi for my entry into the world of IMAC. looking at fitting a 3W 120 on headers and cans.
What do you gurus think of this set up for an entry level machine for IMAC.

I have been thrashing my Pitts and christen around for a while now, but have been bitten by the competition and perfection bug, so I'm going to have a go at this aspect of RC, I though that this might be a setup I could grow with. Opinions??
Old 10-18-2008, 08:17 AM
[email protected]

Default RE: 107' Sukhoi for beginner??

Most guys start off in the Basic class with a 50cc size plane, but the 107" plane will be easier to fly and present to the judges much better. Just be sure not to skimp on the servos and electronics in the plane. I would recomend 5 cell/6volt batteries or li-po (with 6volt regulators) for power. Also good, high torque, digital servos on all the surfaces, including the throtle. Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
Get a GOOD coach to help with flying the manuvers. You will be confident that you are flying the manuvers correctly, and you will also know thw routine backwards & forwards. Did I mention PRACTICE??. Good luck!!!
How did you like the Magic Hand ARF? I have an Extra 260 from Troybuilt and I haven't had a plane that was easier to assemble. This Extra has no pitch or coupling AT ALL. Makes me look good.
If you can handle the extra cost of the bigger plane, you will not be dissappointed. Your set-up will take you from Basic all the way to Unlimited class.
Bigger Flys Better.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:07 AM
bjamesjr
My Feedback: (2)

That plane is gonna grow with you all the way if you want it to. As was already mentioned, most people start out on a 50cc plane then go up, but with the bipe skills you already have you should be fine with it. Sukhoi's are very much underrated for precision work. Once properly setup they will compete easily with any Extra, Edge, or Yak out there.

As was already mentioned, do not slack on any of the equipment for safety reasons. Try to get someone that already does IMAC to coach you. That person can be a wealth of knowledge in how to do the sequences let alone getting the plane setup properly. Proper plane setup is key as it takes a load of work off the pilot. Dig up a copy of Peter Goldsmiths trimming article and follow it. In most cases you can ignore the parts that describe incidence changes but follow everything else in order. This will take roughly 20 to 50 flights depending on how well the plane is built, beyond what you assemble. If it was jig built and the covering was done with a reasonable amount of care as to not induce a warp somewhere then you'll have a good starting point.

I have trimmed many IMAC planes over the years and I have not seen a single one that did not need something like engine thrust angle changes, some form of radio mixing on the down lines, CG changes, things like that. Once all the trim work is done, you'll be quite amazed at the difference you will have.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew the sportsman sequence with the Wild Hare Sukhoi.........its about the same size.

It needed a little mixing but it flew the sequences just fine. A 35% plane is as big as you ever need to go in IMAC. Sure alot of guys fly 40% but you don't have to. 35% is big enough to see and big enough to not be thrown around by the wind as much as a 50cc. Also it should 3D great as well.

Practice and have fun!
Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 PM
wiz310

cheers guys. seems I made the right choice then . I'm really looking forward to flying this aircraft and getting to compete instead of just boring holes in the sky. Not that theres much wrong with that either.