Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Lanier 35% Cap

Old 05-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lanier 35% Cap

Anybody out there know if Laniers 35% Cap is a good kit? Does it fly OK at the recomended weight ? Thanks, Skip
Old 05-29-2003, 04:20 PM
chris540
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier 35% Cap

I dont think lanier makes a 35% cap.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:42 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Default Lanier 35% Cap

Assuming you don't know something that we don't they only have an 81" cap (around 25-26%?).

They actually sell this as a kit and as an arf.

I built a kit version of this a few years ago and had a 3.2 in it- it came out at around 17lbs (by my scale anyhow) and flew fine, but not great (my other planes were 35% and they, of course flew better so I probably wasn't as impressed by the smaller plane as I would have been otherwise). I didn't keep it very long (sold it).

In my opinion, Lanier's other designs such as the larger Staudachers or Extra fly much better and, if I were to do it over, i wouldn't buy this Cap kit- I would be happy with the other planes I just mentioned.

I have flown the ARF version of this kit and have seen others- all were about 3lbs heavier or more than mine - a 20+ lb plane with a thin airfoiled/fairly sharp (at least it's not a blunt) leading edge 81" wing is not optimal..... I would definitely not recommend this one. I saw a capable flyer trying to land his and was having difficulty- he asked another pilot who would be considered a very skillful flyer land it for him and the plane snapped into the ground during an easy turn to final!

Lanier has many fine designs and great flying giant scale aerobatic planes- I don't consider this one of them.

My two cents.

Dave
Old 06-13-2003, 03:08 PM
J roc

Default My 2 cents

I think this plane would do a lot better with a glow engine ie. moki 1.8. This engine has tremendous power and is light. I think 25- 28% planes are poor candidates for gas. you need to go 33% or larger to get a gas plane to do what you want. My very humble opinion.