Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

35% Yaks.. Comp-Arf or TOC-Xtreme/SD/Aviation??

Community
Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

35% Yaks.. Comp-Arf or TOC-Xtreme/SD/Aviation??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
golfingguy27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Yaks.. Comp-Arf or TOC-Xtreme/SD/Aviation??

Hey Guys,
Looking for opinions here. I am looking at 35% (ish) Yaks. I want something ARF and based upon that, I only really like color schemes from Composite-Arf and Toc-Xtreme/SD/Aviation models. As luck would have it, with the exception of MAYBE the extreme flight or QQ Yaks, these seem to be the best choices performance wise too. Anyway, I plan on flying it mostly for fun, but may get back into IMAC type flying as well. In general which would be a better choice for flight characteristics, durability (never worked on a composite plane before), maintenance etc. I love the looks of the comp-arf planes and you have to love the signature squeeling sound in rolls, but I've also read a lot of good things abotu the TOC-Xtreme/SD/Avitation Yaks too. I have seen several of each listed for sale used that looked good to me, just not sure which would suit me better. I guess what it comes down to is that they are both very good planes, I'm just looking for input as to what most people's choice would be, and WHY. Thanks in advance guys!

Todd
Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: 35% Yaks.. Comp-Arf or TOC-Xtreme/SD/Aviation??

I've got a Toc-Xtreme/SD/Aviation models 30% Extra260 love it, I would rather have the color scheme of the 35%er though, that looks great. My thought on them would be I know I can repair SD, I'm not so sure about a compsite ARF though.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Fun2Fly3D
My Feedback: (9)

I owned a 30% EF yak.... I think that is the best built plane for the money.(dove tail joints on cap strips and other joints, verticle grain on center of ribs....etc.. I own and love my 35% SD yak. Fly it both IMAC intermediate and 3D. The SD has excellent performance at slow speed and flys great. I would love to get a Comp Arf but have not got there yet...
Good luck

my .02
V
Old 11-05-2008, 01:13 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

It really boils down to price. Comp ARFs are very expensive.

In terms of great kits, there are other alternatives, such as the Extreme Flight Yak, that looks very nice in Yellow/Black and likely flies circles around any other Yak, certainly the SD.

ORIGINAL: golfingguy27

Hey Guys,
Looking for opinions here. I am looking at 35% (ish) Yaks. I want something ARF and based upon that, I only really like color schemes from Composite-Arf and Toc-Xtreme/SD/Aviation models. As luck would have it, with the exception of MAYBE the extreme flight or QQ Yaks, these seem to be the best choices performance wise too. Anyway, I plan on flying it mostly for fun, but may get back into IMAC type flying as well. In general which would be a better choice for flight characteristics, durability (never worked on a composite plane before), maintenance etc. I love the looks of the comp-arf planes and you have to love the signature squeeling sound in rolls, but I've also read a lot of good things abotu the TOC-Xtreme/SD/Avitation Yaks too. I have seen several of each listed for sale used that looked good to me, just not sure which would suit me better. I guess what it comes down to is that they are both very good planes, I'm just looking for input as to what most people's choice would be, and WHY. Thanks in advance guys!

Todd
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 PM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

Here's my 2 cents worth. I own a Comp-Arf and it's basically bullet proof. While moving my trailer my motorcycle fell over on it and the foot peg made a crease in the side. If it were a balsa and monocoat plane it would have been a lot worse. Mine is so old the one kid with the funny hair calls me "old school". It may be a little more expensive at first, but I've only had to buy one giant plane.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Fun2Fly3D
My Feedback: (9)

They are sweet!
V
Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
bjamesjr
My Feedback: (2)

In terms of being able to repair damage, certainly the wood planes are better, but after flying the 2.6M (35%) C-Arf Yak and owning the 2.6M Extra 260 I would certainly lean towards the C-Arf. Any of the planes you mentioned and that have been mentioned are solid ones so I think I would go with what your budget can handle. As mentioned I'd also look at the Extreme Flight Yaks, they are basically what everyone else copied a couple of years ago, with a very few exceptions like QQ's Yak.

Now I've also owned the QQ version and though it was dead on for IMAC, it was a little lacking in the fun side of things though a very solid plane. Just do exactly what the manual and QQ says to do in the manual and you can't go wrong at all. It's nice when the designer is also a top shelf pilot and he gives you all the throws and other settings in the manual.

One thing to remember for IMAC is any Yak in wind can be somewhat of a handful to wind correct. That big front opening just loves to help the plane weathervane.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comp arf and dont look back! No F(*&^%g monokote to deal with! The QQ's are built WAY too light to be a reliable model. They fly good but if it breaks every other flight how much fun is that...plus you got covering maintance. All the frickin Comp arf needs is an occational cleaning from all the bugs your gonna kill with it!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I own several comp-arfs, includeing the 2.6 Yak. My yak is 3 years old and people that have never seen it ask if its new. As far as repairs go, i recently tore the gear out of my yak, and after 2 weekends of basic fiberglass repair it is not noticable . So dont let that scare you from picking a compy, and it was my first repair on one. I have flown wood planes, but got tired of how fast they start showing their wear, not to mention the constant covering issues. Both fly great, but its compys for me from now on. Oh yea, if you are trying to save a few bucks, buy the all white/red versions. They are several hundred dollars less than the others, & fly just the same. You can add a few graffix or paint of your own to personalize it if ya want. Hope this helps.....Gene
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
bacosa
My Feedback: (6)

The QQ yak is a dream to fly. I don't do much 3D but it absolutely flys awesome for precision flight. It is extemely light. Mine came in at 26 lbs 5 oz. With a DA100 on MTW cans it has unbelievable performance. My only other experience is with an Aeroworks 35% Yak and it was way to heavy and never did snap right for me. I fly with a young guy who has a 2.6 260 Comp ARF and it flys very fast. It seems twice as fast as my QQ Yak. On the QQ just make sure to follow the assembly instructions to a "T" and you will have a light, reliable, powerful airframe. Just my 1.5 cents!!