Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Colombo Anderson Extra(31, 34%), anyone flying in IMAC?

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Colombo Anderson Extra(31, 34%), anyone flying in IMAC?

Old 06-10-2003, 05:54 AM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colombo Anderson Extra(31, 34%), anyone flying in IMAC?

I was wondering if anyone is flying the Columbo Anderson Extras in IMAC competition. Please tell me your experience with these planes in this capacity.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:47 AM
tobytorkn
My Feedback: (1)

hey dave, my buddy dewey and i both have the 34%. his has zdz100 & cans, mine has 3w100 & cans. he flew at the mvrcc contest last weekend in sportsman and placed second with only about 2 flights on it prior. i flew intermediate and placed fourth (and i was flying really crappy, you know where brain doesn't process to fingers kinda day). the plane flies really well and is ideal for imac and 3d. thanks, toby....
Old 06-12-2003, 11:04 AM
dave_anderson

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm really leaning hard towards the 34% with a BME 102 or a 3W106. My 24% flies great and I can only imagine how well the 34% flies! My other choice is a GP 330L. I think I'm going to try the CA though.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 06-12-2003, 01:47 PM
dave_anderson

Dou you guys have a picture of your planes you can post?
Old 06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
deweyd
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extra 300l

Hey Dave
I have my second extra now and I did fly in a IMAC last week , got second . the plane flies very, very smooth. I finnished the plane on a friday and had about two and half flights on the plane . and decided to go to the IMAC in OHIO . I haven't flown for a month prior to the contest ,because I crashed my first plane the beginning of may, ( reversed ailerons). anyways I have to trim the plane more , CG, and control throws. A BME 102,or 3W would be perfect. you can put cans in the plane fairly easy, if you want to be quiet . deweyd
Old 06-16-2003, 01:50 AM
Bebop-stick

Default 3W 100 for imac

Hey this is Chris from NC and don just picked me up to fly for him. But any wayz tobytorkn i was wonderin how you mounted your 3W100 because i am puting a 3W100 on mine.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:26 AM
tobytorkn

hey chris, the 3w installation is pretty easy. i did have to cut a small hole for the spark plug on the left cylinder. no big deal to me. the only thing i did to modify the can install was to lower the lg plate 3/8" of an inch and then building a tunnel box over the cans. look on the giant scale section and my buddy dewey has put a couple of pics of his setup. mine is basically the same thing. the thing we are finding out about these planes is it takes litterally no control input to snap cleanly,lol. i've detuned my plane already and it needs detuned more. dewey is more on track on the final control movements for imac flying. i haven't had time to fly the last few days to trim more so dewey is one up on me . hey chris are you the guy that came to the 3d seminar last fall in columbus that was flying an aeroworks edge? later, toby....
Old 06-27-2003, 03:22 PM
deweyd
My Feedback: (2)

Chris
Drill four hole and mount the motor. lol. the 3 W will mount like any of them. I think you off set the motor 3/8 of a inch and I put one washer on the left side of the motor to help for torque, P Factor, you may not need a washer,or you may need two ,just try one at first,and see what you think. the tobman did about the same. if you run cans,and need help email me and I can send some pictures and try to explain the differences that mine and toby's plane has with the canister system. 3W cans were longer than the rcshowcase canister that I have. get it finnished and blue skies. happy flying deweyd
Old 06-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Diablo-RCU

Deweyd let me fly his plane at Roxana. It tracks and rolls very well, also does very pretty (and easy) stall turns. After the contest, my buddy (flying Sportsman) was saying: "Dewey hate him?.....Yes."

Dewey waxed them all in Sportsman.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:42 PM
dave_anderson

I went ahead and ordered the 31% based on your guy's experience in IMAC with the 34%. I also ordered a Taurus-72 for the front and Futaba gear all around (S9206's). I liked the specs on the ZDZ 80 but I like things simple. It seems I would have had to do the canister thing and that's more work than I want to do. Plus, my friend has a Taurus 52 and loves it. Great customer support.

Anyone know the spinner size for the 31% as well as what is the largest diameter prop you can turn with descent ground clearance?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-30-2003, 01:49 AM
dave_anderson

Default DONE!

It's been a while, but here's the way my 31% turned out. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68094.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	78558  
Old 11-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Hubb

Default RE: DONE!

Awsome color scheme.[8D]

how about some specs? weight, prop, rpm, performance, etc.

Hubb
Old 11-30-2003, 09:25 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Great job! Whose landing gear did you use? Thanks, Mike
Old 11-30-2003, 09:27 AM
dave_anderson

OK,

I screwed up my tach when I was running it last time. I had it set to 3 blade and it was reading 4000. If some math whiz can figure that our for 2 blade, be my guest. It came in a 19 pounds even. I'm using a 3W 75US and a Pro-Zinger 24X10 (for now, Menz later). As for flying it, I haven't gotten a chance yet. Bad weather here on this tropical island. Let you guys know when I do!

Dave
Old 11-30-2003, 09:47 AM
dave_anderson

Thanks, I went with Graph Tech. I don't know the URL off-hand, but if you search them it will come up. Or go to Troy Built Models site, they sell Graphtech stuff. Excellent quality. Plus it gave me and extra 1.5" of prop clearance. I think I paid $50.00 or so for them. They are MUCH lighter than the stock aluminum.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Diablo-RCU

Actual rpm = 6,000........
Old 11-30-2003, 03:10 PM
dave_anderson

COOL!
Old 12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Hoss
My Feedback: (4)

Dave,

I'm glad to see you finally got it done. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:21 PM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mc130p_fe

Thanks, I went with Graph Tech. I don't know the URL off-hand, but if you search them it will come up. Or go to Troy Built Models site, they sell Graphtech stuff. Excellent quality. Plus it gave me and extra 1.5" of prop clearance. I think I paid $50.00 or so for them. They are MUCH lighter than the stock aluminum.
Here is Graphtech url:

http://www.graphtechrc.com/

I ordered some gear for my CG Extra 300 about a month an a half ago but have not seen it yet. [][] I did call after a month and they said they sent another set out but i have seen neither yet![][][]

I hope the USPS knows where Canada is!

mc130p_fe - so let's here a little bit more about your 24% CA Extra.. I am contemplating getting one or maybe the 27%!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Hoss
My Feedback: (4)

ScaleRules

Your not the nly person who has had problems with Graphtech. I measured gear for a Lanier Cap and sent it to them in August. After numerous calls and threats because they charged my CC I finally recieved mains. Guess what not the what I ordered and I sent them an email and they said they would see if they had anything that was better suited for my needs. The answer was yes, and it was what I ordered. Enough about them.

Lets get more info from Dave.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:30 PM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

Brian,

Dam I paid by PayPal! [:@][:@]

They came recomended from another Canuck who spoke highly of them. Guess it's hit and miss with them. [][]

Well I'll give them another week then I start the phone calls.

Thanx for the heads up.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:21 AM
dave_anderson

Hi Fellas,

I will write up a big post on hits and misses of these kits soon. I am on my way back to the states for some training and I should have some time to really give you the details. But in the short term, I really like the ease of building with both the 24 and the 31%. The only BIG gotcha I found was that the stab tube and sleeve (on the 31%, the 24% is a fixed stab) was 3/4" too short. Make VERY sure that the tube get all the way to the false ribs on bith stabs. That would have been very bad. I actually learned of the potential for this problem from another RCU thread, so I decided to check, and low and behold.... mine was short too. Planes Plus was willing to replace the tube at no charge, but I had already gotten one from Gator R/C, so they compensated me with a store credit. Other than that, a really easy build for the experienced builder. Not an over abundance of sanding (YUCK).

NOTE: Planes Plus is a really great company to deal with. They have been having quality control problems with the CA kits and are getting them fixed. This should in no way keep you from getting one of these kits. Granted the departure of a stab would be catastrophic, but the kits are well cut and crafted. You will be happy, provided you check everything as a good builder should. This is in no way a beginner's kit.

One more thing, dont assume that by centering the wing-root cap ribs on the balsa sheeted foam wings that the incedence is automatically right. Mine were close (1/2 a degree or so), but I checked before I epoxied them on and manged to get the wings and both stabs at 0 degees incedence. The root ribs protrude about 1/4" all the way around the wing, then they must be sanded down to conform to the wing. I'm thinking it will track nicely.

On the 31%, the 3W 75 fits perfectly without needing to shorten the engine box or add spacers. I was really happy about that. CG came out perfect with the RX batteries just behind the wing tube. Now, the 24% was another story....

On the 24%, should you opt for a 1.60FX or another glow engine. Plan ahead to move all the gear you can, as far forward as possible. I ended up with aircraft and smoke batteries up inside the engine box (which has to be shortened for a glow engine), the RX, smoke pump and rudder servo were all moved forward of the wing tube. That was after I found I needed a full pack of Great Planes lead on the firewall to balance it. After moving everything forward, I could remove all the lead.

I have yet to fly the 31%, but I can say that the 24% tracks like a pattern ship (and yes, I do have one). Very straight lines, probably due to the long tail moment. I'm not much of a 3D master with expensive planes (I use my 40 sized ones for that), but I have read that both are excellent at 3D if you build in the huge throws and counterbalances on the elevator.

Hope that helps!

Any other questions...fire away.
Dave
Old 12-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Working on a 34% now. Only have the cowl & batteries left to mount. Then finally covering & painting. I will post a few pics later tonight.

Ryan
Old 12-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Here are the pics I promised. BTW, I plan to fly my 34% in IMAC next year.

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68257.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	80037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39863.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	80038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97655.jpg
Views:	11