Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

IMAC maneuvers

Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM
3d-harrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAC maneuvers

Hello,

I'm just starting to get more into pattern flight and was wondering how to determine the center line when looking at the IMAC sequence diagrams. For example, what orientation should the plane be in between maneuvers or within a maneuver when it is dead center of the pilot and jugdes. The NSRCA diagrams clearly show the orientation and position of the plane at dead center.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: IMAC maneuvers

You're not going to like this, but there is no "center" in IMAC. Figures get placed where they are in the flow of the sequence and may, or may not, be "on center". There is no criteria to "center" as in pattern. Go to the AMA website and download the Scale Aerobatics rules. Read the section on the Airspace Score.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or go to the IMAC website and view the training information on the basic sequence

http://www.mini-iac.com/TrainingLibr...1/Default.aspx

You may need to create yourself an account to view it, but it's free and well wroth it as you will get access to the forums over there and get all you ever wanted to know about IMAC
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will learn that IMAC gives the pilot the freedom to present the entire sequence in any position relitive to the judges. Depending upon the sequence some are best started in front of the judges and others may lend themselves to beginning at one end of the field. In IMAC its up to the pilot to present the sequence of manuvers to the judges so that each manuver may be easily viewable and thus judged. This year the guys at IMAC did a great job putting the class knows together and they are easily presented. The ACS score is "Airspace Control Score" and is a 0 thru 10 score based upon how well you present the sequence to the judges. You will find all this information on the IMAC site. What class are you flying and where do you live? Tulsa is having its contest May 15th if you can make it.

Here is the info from the IMAC site.

"The following standard will be used for assessing the pilot’s performance in maintaining control and awareness of the aerobatic airspace and placing figures in the airspace in a manner that allow the figures to be optimally judged. vThe HIGHEST standard for Airspace control: vThe pilot that exhibits a significant ability to control the location of the aircraft inside the Airspace, relative to the Judges, resulting in a tight footprint and locates the aircraft that it can be optimally judged at all times should receive a TEN (10). v vThe LOWEST standard for Airspace control v vThe pilot that exhibits a poor ability to control the location of the aircraft inside the Airspace, relative to the Judges, resulting in an excessively large footprint and has the aircraft consistently so far away as to be difficult to properly judge. This pilot exhibits a very poor Airspace control and should receive a zero (0).
vPilots exhibiting Airspace control within the range of these two standards will be graded with a range of possible scores from ten (10) to zero (0) in whole point increments.
vK factor for the Airspace Control Scores for Sportsman class is 6K"
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM
3d-harrier

Thanks for the information guys. I'm practicing intermediate in both IMAC and pattern.

I'm out in HI and unfortunately we don't have any contests out here nor is there a big community of pattern fliers.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Grelker
My Feedback: (58)

Just curious, do you guys mostly practice individual maneuvers or mostly the full sequence?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Yes!

when I practice....

I'll go through the sequence a few times... then go back and work on specific maneuvers....

if while I'm doing a sequence, I really flub a maneuver, I'll bail and and do it again.....

then I'll just practice various maneuvers that I have seen and had troubles with in unknowns..... and try and tie several together...
Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take special note that you need to be very proficient with the high K factor manuvers since they have a huge impact on your score. Hammerheads, snaps ect.
I practice the full sequence as well as each manuver and specific elements of said manuver, such as point rolls, snaps ect... That said, if you are flying a specific manuver, try to practice it where you will present the manuver within the full sequence. This way the sight picture is the same.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Georg Matthews
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Or go to the IMAC website and view the training information on the basic sequence

You may need to create yourself an account to view it, but it's free and well wroth it as you will get access to the forums over there and get all you ever wanted to know about IMAC

Bill not true.

You need to be a paid IMAC member to view the training library.
Which is a pile of crap as new flyers need this info.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
bubbagates

Georg,

My apologies, the last I knew as long as you were a member of the site you had access to the training library. I'll verify that with the webmaster and get back to you.

However I did see your posts on the IMAC site
Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Georg Matthews

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Bill not true.

You need to be a paid IMAC member to view the training library.
Which is a pile of crap as new flyers need this info.
Checkout your thread on the IMAC site, I just listed a ton of info to help you
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 PM
FBaity

Where can one find clear explanation of the Aresti System symbology? I saw a link on the IMAC site that involved down loading Flash Player which I would rather not do. I come from three decades of AMA pattern, clear drawings of aircraft attitude etc. Would appreciate some advice as I am considering the jump to IMAC, thanks.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
exeter_acres

Couple things to look at

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...ictionary.html

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...de-simple.html

BAH!! RCU blocks out the domain!

Do a google search for Aresti Made Simple and that should get ya going....
Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Silent-AV8R

Attached

They are a tiny bit dated due t the addition of 45 degree entry and exit lines on Hammerheads, but they are more than fine to get people up to speed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Db85846.pdf (142.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf
Zu65505.pdf (132.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Aerobatx
My Feedback: (1)

Can you explain to me how a "Sharks Tooth" is flown? I am interested in flying an IMAC event next year, and I've never seen one of these manuevers.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Aerobatx

Anyone ?????
Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
bubbagates

from a level horizontal line

Pull to a wind corrected, wings level vertical upline

Pull to a wings level inverted 45 degree downline

execute one half roll to upright

Pull to a wings level, wind corrected horizontal line

Things to look for

The pulls must be the same radius with the first pull dictating how the rest of the pulls should be done, the half roll must be centered on the 45 degree line

Sharp pulls are a no-no
and will get points taken off

The vertical line can be as long as you like, same as the 45 degree line, just make sure you have a line before and after the roll on the 45 and that line MUST be equally, this is the biggest points killer of them all.

Most important, you wings MUST remain level at all times and the proper amount of wind correction must exist at all times.

You are not judged on the "look" of the plane, you are judged on the track of the plane, which means the CG must remain on a given line at all times. You could be pulling a vertical line, yet be yawed to one side 30+ degrees and that would be perfectly acceptable as long as the CG is tracking a perfectly straight line
Old 09-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Aerobatx

thanks, I just had never seen this manuever before.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Danny Baker

The pulls must be the same radius with the first pull dictating how the rest of the pulls should be done, the half roll must be centered on the 45 degree line [img][/img]

Family 1.12, Page 15 of the AMA rule book (on the IMAC site), SCA-15, Figure 17. Radii A, B, and C may all be different.
Hope this helps,
Dan Baker
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
bubbagates

Thanks Danny for the correction, time for me to go refresh my memory on the families.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Danny Baker

Bill: I"m humbled to help out.
Dan,
Old 09-29-2009, 07:39 AM
bubbagates

BTW, you answered my question on the Cap the other day and to let you know I flew it last night and OMG what a puddy tat she is. I used 1 degree positive, balance on front of the wing tube and just perfect for my style of flying. Absolutely no elevator trim, hands off inverted 45 degree upline pulls to the nose ever so slightly. Weight is roughly 39lbs on a DA170 on MTW110K cans and yes I am still able to get to the front wing bolts, I used a set I had for my Jtec 330L and just leave it in the fuse with the threaded part hanging out and I can just get my hand down between the can tunnel and fuse side

Now I remember what I was missing when I lost my last Cap. This one and I will have a very long relationship in IMAC....

Thanks again for the help on that one
Old 09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Danny Baker

Bill: I'm from the "school of hard knocks" with the Caps. Flew three of them in Unlimited, had some very special trimming and mixing going on to keep er' straight. I loved my Caps, they freestyled the best. Glad to help out,
Dan,