Aileron shovels?? Anyone tried them?

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Aileron shovels?? Anyone tried them?

Old 06-19-2003, 02:48 AM
Doug Brindle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron shovels?? Anyone tried them?

Anybody out there ever tried to fabricate and actually use aileron shovels on thier extra, cap, etc...?

Nearly all of the full scale birds have them - the pilots say it's like having power steering vs. manual. I've never seen them on a model.

I thought about making some - just for show, not to fly with. Also, I'm going to fabricate up some of the AOA indicators for the wing tips.... usually made w/ black pipes on the full scale planes.... just for show though.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:24 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Quique Somenzini had them on his Yak at the last TOC and I assume he flew with them - if you can find pictures of his Yak you'll see where / how many he had.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:33 AM
barto

Just a stupid question, what are aileron shovels??

THX
Old 06-19-2003, 12:13 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only "stupid question" is the one that isn't asked!!!

Shovels or spades are flat plates that are attached to rods that are attached to the aileron hinge line on some aerobatic aircraft. They sort of look like flat lollipops leaning forward over the wing. They are bent at such an angle so that at full aileron deflection one is a flat plate to the airflow helping the aileron move toward its maximum deflection and the other one is laying flat aligned with the airflow for no resistance. As said earlier it is a simple form of powered steering on lower speed aircraft with mechanical controls systems that are only powered by the bio mechanical output of the pilot. We probably don't see them on more RC planes because we've spent a lot of money on servos that are powerful enough to do the job.

HTH
Old 06-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Rossan

I don't think shovels (also sometimes called spades) have a real purpose on models. Their purpose on full size aircraft is to lighten control forces at high speeds, as all the motive power available to the pilot is, well, the pilot!!

As we can vary the amount of power by using more power or multiple servos, the advantages of shovels are reduced. I guess you might be able to use a less powerful servo, but I fell you are going to get the best precision by using powerful enough servos and leaving the aileron clean.

Edited because I see I'm just repeating what the last post said!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Spades are very hard to adjust, a better alternative would be Boost Tabs