Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Vector FLight models

Old 06-19-2003, 12:20 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vector FLight models

I am considering stepping up from my 4* 60, currently residing somewhere in the woods around Swanson Field, to a true aerobatic plane. I found the Vector Flight website. The planes look great and the RCU talk seems to confirm this opinion. They are also affordable at $149.

My question is, what are the differences between the three basic models, the Edge 540, Extra 300 and SukhoiSU-31? DO they have different flight characteristics? Is one better at one aspect of flight and another better at something else? All things being equal, I would go for the Sukhoi on purely aesthetic grounds. I love the radial engine look.

I guess the question above is also a general question, not just about the VF models but about any models of these planes or about the full size versions.

Jeff
Old 06-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

As far as the models go, I think that the Edge flys slower and the Extra and Sukhoi is about the same. I have never owned an Edge but I have had an Extra and Sukhoi and I find they they handle the same. WHen the engine stops turning, the Sukhoi's cowling acts like a big parachute and the plane will slow down FAST!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 05:17 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

jwc-- I have a Vectorflight Extra that I hope to put together this summer sometime. I have inspected the contents, gone over the manual, fingered the pieces, like what I see. As they say, the price is right and the quality is decent. I like the looks of the Sukhoi but went for the Extra because it's a popular model around these parts, I like the way I see it flying (other pilots, other mfrs), but I'd like to try a Sukhoi as well. I think the Edge with its mid-wing location is maybe a little easier to fly, but all the Extras I see have very stable flight behavior, and their pilots love them.

I do think a .60 size engine is less than what you'd want if you have aerobatics in mind. I will probably put a .91 two-stroke in mine, possibly a 1.20. I'm flying a .91 Magnum right now in my Kangke CAP 232 Sport, and it's adequate in the verticals, but when I throw in a roll on an upline, I don't have a lot of oomph left to complete the line. The engine is still new though (on its second gallon) and will probably tune up stronger after a few more gallons.

I would definitely urge you to move up to coreless servos for a plane of this capability. You will like the difference, assuming you're accustomed to standard or three-pole servos.