Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Help me find a plane for my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me find a plane for my engine!

I have a magnum .91 4 stroke that has quite a bit of power and needs a home. Im wanting to get into flying IMAC (not competitivly yet) and have three planes in mind. Which should I choose!!

Im looking for a scle model that would fly IMAC manuvers but can still do some 3D when I want to wring it out.

Aero-Works Edge 540T

WorldModels Velox Rev II

Nitromodels Extra 330L

I like the looks of all three, and none of the prices are bad, either. But they all have their vises.

I've heard the Edge, while tryign to keep it light, AeroWorks sacrificed wood and glue, which could later lead to a fatigue break in the wings LE and firewall area. Also, its still said to be heavy by some, which a lot say lets it fly very scale because of the extra enertia to push through some manuvers, like snaps, spins, and tumbles. Its not an all out 3D plane and will I will be flying more on the wing than on the prop, so this sounds ok to me.

As for the Velox, its the most expensive and is the heavyest. Most all say it flies very strait and true, a good IMAC plane, but 3D is harder because of teh extra weight, small elevators, and short tail moment. Its also said to have a soft landing gear plate, which (flying off grass as I do) would need some beefing up if I want to keep it in the plane.

The Extra has some quality issiues, like the motor mount/firewall area being all built form balsa ply. This would need soem mroe balsa and epoxy if I want the motor to stay on the plane. I've not heard much about this model, but from teh youtube vids it looks to fly as well as any other plane.

They all 3 need a little extra work out of the box, but what ARF doesnt? I love Edge 540's, but its rare that one would see a Velox at any given field. On that note, extras are a nickle a dozen, especially at my field!

So which is the better model?
Like I said, it will spend more time on the wing, than on the prop, but I still want to be able to to high alpha manuvers when I want.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Help me find a plane for my engine!

Here is my recomendation:
Extreme Flight R/C 58" Extra 300-E[/b]
[/b]This plane may cost more than the ones your interested in, but I believe that for the engine you have and what you want to do with it, I don't believe you could go wrong with this one. Note that the tail surfaces are all aerodynamic in shape, leading to more of a stable plane especially in the wind. Read the story about the young man in Europe who has one. Here is the link.
Terry[/b]

www.extremeflightrc.com/html/58extra.html

[/b]

Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 PM
thatairplaneguy

I had considered that one, as well as 3D hobby shop's Sukhoi 26 57" ARF (blue and silver) but from what i've heard a .91 would be too much for them because they are smaller, an desighned for Saito .82's, which have the same footprint as a .72 and are 3oz. lighter with just as much power on smaller props (less torque). 

I asked about thoughs tw in another thread and was told to throw the magnum away and go with a saito, which isnt in the budget, nor is it what im wanting to do.  I want a good precition flyer with 3D capability that the mangum .91 would fly well.  These two seem to me to be setup mainly for 3D flying and to be kept as light as possible to perform; where as the 3 planes i've searched above are desgined for upto a 1.00 4s but not setup for all out 3D hucking, yet to be good, presice fliers that, due to their surfaces and lighter wing loadings, are capable of the basic 3D routine. (exactly what I want).

BUT, if the Extreme flight could handle the .91 and no loose performance from the extra 3oz. of weight in the nose and a larger prop, I would jump on it in a flash!  I love the included items such as the pilot/cockpits, wing bags, and carbon fiber accesories!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

There are two things I believe you need to consider here and those are. 1. You don't need to fly full throttle all the time, and 2. If you want to 3D then get a foami. Practice on flying the plane through the precise forms of real aerobatics and leave the higher chances of crashing by hovering down low to people who don't care if they screw up that low and really need the attention of showing off like the pilots who fly in enclosed buildings.
Thanks for letting me get on my soap box. Yes I know it takes a lot of skill to do 3D, but in IMAC your judged on how realistic your plane does the routines of real air craft.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
thatairplaneguy

Im not planning on competing, but I would like a plane that would be a good practice plane if I were to be.  Im an accomplished 3D pilot with lots of foamies and 40sized 3Ders, so hovering low and doign 3D stuff is easy for me, and I do liek to show off, thats why 3D was invented, right!?  I just like to stay in the spirit

But I might have found an Edge locally that will do just fine.