IMAC vs. Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IMAC vs. Pattern

Gentlemen,
I know there tends to be a certain amount of crossover between IMAC and pattern. I am a pattern flier that wanted to try IMAC and I would assume that it works the other way around as well. Iam curious as to how that has worked for some of you out there?

Personally I have flown pattern for years then bought a Hangar 9 35% Extra 260 and set it up with the best of everything in order to give IMAC a try. By the time it was all over I realized that there is enough of a difference between the two disciplines to make me love one but not at all interested in the other. Ilove the airplane and it flies great, very precise and smooth. However I just have no interest in IMAC. Now I have a perfect 105 inch Extra with a DA 100, MTW cans, and all metal gear digital servos that I never fly.

Has anyone elese had a similar experience from the IMAC side?

Thanks
Anthony

Old 06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAC vs. Pattern

I'm on the other side. Though I have a little different feeling about it. I have flown IMACfor years, bought a pattern plane and have flown in a couple of pattern contests. While I still prefer IMAC, I do enjoy my pattern plane and flying in a pattern contest.

Have you gotten to the point where you have flown your Extra in an IMAC contest?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 PM
AAbdu

I did fly my Extra in an IMAC contest. I really enjoyed the IMAC atmosphere and enjoyed the unknowns but that was about it. I just have a preference for the style of maneuvers in pattern vs. IMAC.

I'll tell you one thing, the IMAC competitors were a great group of guys, almost as much fun as pattern guys
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
jseven27
My Feedback: (6)

AAbdu,  what is the major diffrence for you?  I have never flown pattern and just beginning in IMAC.  What do you like about Pattern?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Silent-AV8R

Differences:

Pattern flies dedicated designs specific to the task of flying precision aerobatics
IMAC flies scale (ish). +/- 10% deviation from scale allowed.

Pattern planes are only allowed to be up to 2-meters in span and 11 pounds total weight
IMAC planes can be up to 55 pounds (more if a waiver has been obtained by the owner)

Pattern planes are typically powered by either 1.40 cu. in. 4-cycle or 10S electric motors
IMAC is usually 100cc to 170cc gasoline powered

Pattern flies a longer sequence (17 to 23 figures). Figures are basically whatever sounds good to fly. Like a triangle loop for instance.
IMAC flies 10 figure sequences based on the current FAI/Aresti catalog of aerobatic figures.

Pattern flies a single sequence per flight/round
IMAC typically flies 2 sequences per flight/round

Both end up with 6 scored sequences per contest (typically)
Both normalize scores for the round and drop the lowest 2 rounds.

Pattern does not fly an Unknown (Except in FAI at the NATS and World)
IMAC flies an Unknown in Sportsman and above.

Pattern sequences change every two to three years.
IMAC sequences change every year.

Pattern scores based on 1 point per 15 degrees of error
IMAC scores based on 1/2 point per 5 degrees of error

Pattern sequence are flown in a defined aerobatic box with a centering requirement.
IMAC has no box or centering requirement

IMAC is the AMA Special Interest Group (SIG) for scale aerobatics
NSRCA (National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics) is the AMA SIG for aerobatics (except scale).

Pattern is the group from which the US F3A Team is selected to represent the US
IMAC presently has no International/World Level event among the various countries of the world

Both are a lot of fun.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

Another significant flying differnece.

In Pattern, ALLradii within a maneuver in must be the same. for example a humptybump all three radii must match

In IMAC, Not all Radii must be the same. for example in a humptybump, entry and exit radii must match, but the half-loop radius can be different.

RIchard.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Silent-AV8R

There are other judging differences as well, I was trying to hit the highlights.

Regardless of which one you choose to fly you should read and understand the rules so you know what you will get downgraded for doing incorrectly.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Fixed Wing

Silent-AV8R,

Very nice high level summary of the differences between PAttern & IMAC.

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Differences:

Pattern flies dedicated designs specific to the task of flying precision aerobatics
IMAC flies scale (ish). +/- 10% deviation from scale allowed.

Pattern planes are only allowed to be up to 2-meters in span and 11 pounds total weight
IMAC planes can be up to 55 pounds (more if a waiver has been obtained by the owner)

Pattern planes are typically powered by either 1.40 cu. in. 4-cycle or 10S electric motors
IMAC is usually 100cc to 170cc gasoline powered

Pattern flies a longer sequence (17 to 23 figures). Figures are basically whatever sounds good to fly. Like a triangle loop for instance.
IMAC flies 10 figure sequences based on the current FAI/Aresti catalog of aerobatic figures.

Pattern flies a single sequence per flight/round
IMAC typically flies 2 sequences per flight/round

Both end up with 6 scored sequences per contest (typically)
Both normalize scores for the round and drop the lowest 2 rounds.

Pattern does not fly an Unknown (Except in FAI at the NATS and World)
IMAC flies an Unknown in Sportsman and above.

Pattern sequences change every two to three years.
IMAC sequences change every year.

Pattern scores based on 1 point per 15 degrees of error
IMAC scores based on 1/2 point per 5 degrees of error

Pattern sequence are flown in a defined aerobatic box with a centering requirement.
IMAC has no box or centering requirement

IMAC is the AMA Special Interest Group (SIG) for scale aerobatics
NSRCA (National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics) is the AMA SIG for aerobatics (except scale).

Pattern is the group from which the US F3A Team is selected to represent the US
IMAC presently has no International/World Level event among the various countries of the world

Both are a lot of fun.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 AM
jseven27
My Feedback: (6)

Thank you that helped a lot

Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Silent-AV8R

Jseven27 - In the Valley whichever way you decide to go there are a pretty good bunch of people flying IMAC or pattern. A good place to be for sure.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
AAbdu

I could not have said any of that better myself!

Both discipliines seem to draw some of the very best people. I have met some of my best friends through the hobby and pattern and IMAC are certainly no exception.  

For my personal preference, I tend to be less of an artistic person and extremely focused on the geometry with little desire to emulate full scale flight or aircrafts. For me it is all about the "math" or the shape of the maneuvers. I think when guys dream up pattern sequences they try to find maneuvers with different elements that can be judged, not necessarily what a full scale plane would or could do. I love all manner of aviation but prefer a pattern plane because it is designed simply to fly as true as possible, sometimes at the detriment of looking like any plane that ever took to the sky.

A good way to look at it is this, scale loops are egg shaped (for most full scale planes anyway). I want to draw a loop that looks like a computer did it. That is not to say that IMAC guys don't fly round loops, I just think that style of flying lends itself more to interpretation or what might happen in the real world.

Either way you can't go wrong and both will absolutely teach you better control of your airplane and expose you to some of the best people anywhere.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Silent-AV8R

One minor point, regardless of the discipline, IAC, IMAC, Pattern, all require the presentation of loops to appear perfectly round to the judges. Egg shaped loops are downgraded by all three.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Gulliver

Another BIG difference: in IMAC, take-off and landing are not judged whereas in patter they are.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Silent-AV8R

True enough, although I have found that it is not that big of a deal and judging them really does little except make the contest run a whole lot slower. I think that this should only be done in Sportsman and maybe Intermediate. It's silly to judge Advanced and Master's on take off and landing. FAI is not judged for landing/takeoff.

And like I said, I tried to stay away from the details of judging, etc.

For instance:

Pattern zeros a figure at 160 degrees of over rotation in rolls, snaps, or spins
IMAC does it at 90 degrees.

Pattern judges at 1 point for 15 degrees of error
IMAC judges at 0.5 points per 5 degrees of error
FAI scores in full point increments

The sound judging is different too.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
jetmech05

I was browsing around on here interested in this post while using my dads little profile thing! but my name is ashley and im 14 i fly pattern but getting more and more interested in IMAC and have been working on the unknown sporstman routines and honestly i have flown pattern for the last 5 years while in this hobby and just got started with IMAC recently and i think either one of these ways to fly can be awesome and both are good practice!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
n8rloves2fly
My Feedback: (5)

I think im in for some IMAC but would give pattern a try.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 AM
psookdee

What about F3M??? does it has any different to IMAC???? I had read some F3M rules in FAI document saying it does has box and center... I though it was the same..
Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Silent-AV8R

F3M is a new area within the FAI designed for scale aerobatics. It is very different from IMAC and pattern. It is sort of a hybrid. F3M flies large scale airplanes in a 3 sequence contest format. You fly a known, and unknown, and a freestyle and that is it. F3M has some fans in the US who are trying to get some contests going but so far none have been held. I know that in Europe there has been some F3M activity, but I do not know much about it.