Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

minimum size for IMAC planes

hey guys..

what is smallest/minimum size for IMAC planes in sportsman??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: minimum size for IMAC planes

ORIGINAL: lassecfc

hey guys..

what is smallest/minimum size for IMAC planes in sportsman??
    Thee really isn't a size limit, however the plane must resemble a plane that has or could fly in an aerobatic box. We currently have a 60 size electric Extra in our region that flies Sportsman and he does well with it. He does fight wind harder than those flying 50cc planes and heavier, but he does well.

One thing to remember in IMAC, light weight is not always good. Weight allows better penetration in high winds. In our region and I suspect most others, we will not even consider not flying until the wind hits around 20mph to 25mph and then we'll hold a vote. A 10lb plane is going to be hard as heck to fly in that wind.

If you are just starting out, I would go and start in Basic. It's a bring and fly what you have type of class, any plane can be used. Don't let the term Basic fool you. It's a lot harder than it looks. Once you get into Sportsman and above, you get to fly unknowns and if you are not familiar with Aresti, then that can bite you as typically the unknowns can change the outcome of a contest quickly. The unknowns are handed out the night before you fly them, you do not get to practice them at all, excet with a stick plane.

Basic does not do unknowns.

Remember this, you must always fly a perfectly wind corrected line at all times (horizontal and vertical), the wings must remain level at all times. Do your first contest in basic, then go to sportsman if you do not feel challenged enough

I know I went past the original question, but that question lead me to think you are just starting, if not then I apologize
    Bill James

IMAC NorthEast Regional Director
    2009-2010
    2013-2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

we dont have IMAC in denmark yet... 19 sep. we have the fist IMAC introductionshow..

http://www.rc-unionen.dk/nytforum/to...TOPIC_ID=43610

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lassecfc

we dont have IMAC in denmark yet... 19 sep. we have the fist IMAC introductionshow..

http://www.rc-unionen.dk/nytforum/to...TOPIC_ID=43610
    Congrats!!!!
    Bill James

IMAC NorthEast Regional Director
    2009-2010
    2013-2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing to remember in IMAC, light weight is not always good. Weight allows better penetration in high winds. In our region and I suspect most others, we will not even consider not flying until the wind hits around 20mph to 25mph and then we'll hold a vote. A 10lb plane is going to be hard as heck to fly in that wind.
    We fly pattern contests in winds greater than 25 - 30 mph at times, with models weighing under 11 lbs. Not a problem. My 2M Prestige weighs under 9 1/2 lbs and handles high winds extremely well. In fact, lighter weight can work to your advantage. For example, when you are trying to hold a wind corrected vertical line, more vertical speed allows you to accomplish this with a smaller correction angle than if you are flying slower because of having a heavier airframe to haul upstairs.

What you really want is an airframe / engine combination that is light and powerful, which makes it easier to adjust the size of the pattern that you present in varying conditions. When conditions are calm, you generally want to be in closer and flying more slowly than when it's windy, where you want to move the entire sequence out and fly bigger, with more energy and speed. This allows you to wind correct more easily, and also hide bobbles and corrections better. When you have a heavy airframe, you lose this flexibility.
    Ed Alt
    Tech-Aero Designs LLC