Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Lakeland 3d report

Old 06-30-2003, 08:13 PM
BrianB
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakeland 3d report

Went down to Tampa for the 3D invitational this weekend, I was very disappointed. The flying was good but the event itself sucked. They flew two rounds on Saturday and only one round on Sunday. I was not there for Sat. but on Sunday there was only two vender's {lite pilots and a graphics comp.}, no food or water was available at the site of the flying and no bleachers to sit in. I had to beg a drink for my son from one of the vender's. We had to sit off to the side on the concrete about 50-60 yrds. away. As far as a world freestyle championship goes I don't think so. I took my son down to see and we still had a good time but I guess I was expecting a little more. The real fun was after the competition the pilots went to the other side of the airport where the food vender's was set up and they mowed a quick strip in the field behind the vender's. We enjoyed that as the spectating was very close and the pilots where just flying for fun. QS about took out a crowed of spectators when he was torque rolling close to the fence right in front of us, that big Yac just kept getting closer and closer, the next thing I know the plane tilted toward us and he was on the gas trying to bail out, the tail of his plane missed the top of the fence by inches and if it would have hit it the plane would have been in the crowd, most of the people watching did a quick seat check as they started to scatter. QS ended his flight immediately after that.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Kyle2Baseball

I didnt think it was all that great either we were thier on time but by time we got parked and got down thier we saw 4 flights. The after flying was better then the comp. O and the thein with qs was pretty funny ( I DONT THINK THAT WAS ON ACCEDENT IT LOOK LIKE HE DID THAT ON PURPOSE) It wouldnt have been funny if he would have it sombody though
Old 06-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Kallikrates

I agree on the no seating and no food vedors part, I brought my chair because I had to sit on the ground for the last sun 'n fun and didnt want to stand the whole time.

But I enjoyed the flying on sat even though I heard sunday was more fun albeit less flying. So it was worth the trip for me, This is the first time they do this ai that feild so They still have a few kinks to work out if they want to do a better job next time.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:13 AM
CB540

It was on ACCIDENT !!It happened 10'in front of us!! The wind was blowing in our direction and it was coming closer and closer.Not everyday you see a 40%+ plane coming at you!As far as the contest goes,it was a disappointment.Absolutely nothing for the spectators,not what you would expect from this kind of event.

Chris
Old 07-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

All of those problems you guys mentioned fall squarely on the Contest Director's shoulders. There's no reason that refreshments weren't made readily available to the spectators.

It seems the CD didn't really cater to the spectators as much as he did to the pilots. That's a shame. Maybe he didn't care if the spectators showed up or not?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Tom Miller

You guys probably don't realize what went on to make this event happen. This was a once in a lifetime event for us modelers.

The full scale IAC world champs have only been in the US three times ever! This IMAC event was thought up, planned and executed in just two months. Many people put their necks on the line to make this happen. How would you like to fly on a full scale airport with bizjets and other full scale traffic taking off in front of you all the while those beautiful IAC birds are performing in the box right behind? We had a very thin line to follow and we did it!

EVERYTHING was on the line for us and we showed the full scale world what we can do. We had a window of time and an aerobatic box (with rather solid walls AND WE DID IT! Sorry you all had to sit on the concrete ... we judges and flyers had to sit/stand in the mud Sunday morning.

As for Quique's demo flight: He knew exactly what he was doing. I think it is safe to say that he can control his airplane much better than the rest of us. I'd trust him to hover in my living room (I've seen him do it in a garage). His plan was to "smoke" the crowd.

Sorry you all had such a bad time. Everyone else enjoyed the event for what it was and for the mark it made towards showing ourselves to the full scale world.

Because of this event the future looks good for IMAC events at Lakeland. (bring your own water:-D

Regards,

Tom Miller
Old 07-02-2003, 12:01 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

I hate to chime in like this but if this is what Q thinks is safe flying then my respect for him has diminished quite a bit. Safety is no joke and to do something discribed in this thread on intention then that fine line has been crossed.

Oh well said what I said

V-Snap
Old 07-02-2003, 03:07 AM
rdcracer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Sorry you all had such a bad time. Everyone else enjoyed the event for what it was an

Sorry Tom but I have to dissaggree. I was there Saturday and everyone that was around me was compalining big time. This does not look good for the sport it makes it look like it is a shabbily run organization. Most of the people COULD NOT stay in the heat without dehydration setting in long enough to see the second round. I had to leave and go to the vendor area to get water for my son and didnt get to watch any of the second round. I was very dissapointed as I had been looking forward to it for quite a long time.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Stallion_51

I don't think an event of this magnitude can be thrown together over a couple months. Sure it was great exposure for our hobby and also allowed us to rub elbows with some of the WAC pilots, but it seems the fans/spectators were left out of the equation at BOTH events (WAC and the freestyle event).
Old 07-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Fans and Spectators were not left out of the WAC. They just didn't show up. The reality of the WAC though, is it's about the pilots 1st. This is a contest afterall, not an airshow. I was disappointed that I couldn't get better access to the airplanes, but then I understand why as well.

As for the R/C event, yeah.. it was done as a last minute thing (relatively) and things could have been done better. Keep in mind also that the organizations involved, as well as the airport were VERY nervous about putting R/C airplanes, and full scale airplanes in such close proximity. The way everyone handled themselves, and stayed within our flight area proved to the leadership that this sort of thing can work. It has most certainly built a better relationship between us and the full scale community.

Late Saturday, Phil Knight (WAC CD) pulled me aside and asked for OUR help in keeping the crowd entertained when there was downtime in the WAC. I think it was overall a very good thing, even if it didn't quite work out like we'd all hoped.

Doug Cronkhite
Old 07-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Stallion_51

Very true Doug. I'm there to see some airplanes and...well..they were so far away they might as well have been flying at TIA. If I knew it wasn't going to be readily available for spectators to view the aircraft up close (like I've done many years over at Sebring) then I wouldn't have gone over. Keep in mind that this event (WAC) was advertised to the public in the newspaper, during newscasts, and through flyers that were posted at local flying fields.

I'm sure you guys put in a lot of work and time into the freestyle event and maybe it will be that much better next time.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:06 PM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not that bad!

While the accommodations were not ideal, I thought they did a great job of putting on the event! It's amazing how some people have to ***** about everything.

I'm sure the airport had a large say in the food vendors and since this was a first, perhaps the vendors themselves didn't think they would make any money at the R/C venue. I saw more people at the R/C competition than the full scale.

I had a great time on Saturday! This was a great shot in the arm for our great hobby! Thanks to everyone responsible! And to you that just want to complain .... PHLLLLLLLTTTTTT!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:01 AM
flynbrian

I just saw the demo on sunday and it was pretty well set up.
The spectators had a good view and were right next to the vendors.
When QS went over the fence it scared me and I was pretty far away. Good thing he is such a good pilot.

The WAC is a contest not an airshow.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:17 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, that happening to Quique was proof that even with the best skillset around, mistakes can and do happen, and that safety needs to be a higher concern than it currently is now.

Look at the guys who feel compelled to hover next to themselves and grab airplanes and such. Not smart. If it can get away from Quique, even for a moment.. it can happen to you too.

-Doug
Old 07-08-2003, 08:24 PM
sailr

Default Rules of the event

The rules of the competition that weekend was that the pilot could not bring his aircraft any closer than within 25 feet of himself and by all means...no touching! In fact, one of the competitors did just that and I believe was either disqualified or scored down. He blew it!

Obviously this didn't apply during the exhibition. I agree, Quique is an incredible pilot but no one's equipment is 100% infallible. This type of exhibition should be banned before someone gets hurt and it sets model aviation back to the dark ages! If the pilot wants to endanger himself, he should walk at least 100-200' straight out from the crowd.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:31 AM
krazy_flyr

Default And to you that just want to complain .... PHLLLLLLLTTTTTT!

Sailr
I can't believe living in Tampa you can't see that 90+ temp and very high humidity, the total oversight to have any access to any type of liquid is just complaining. If you were there Saturday then you must have witnessed the exodus of spectators who waited for the second round. Almost everyone left by the 2nd or 3rd flight to get water. As far as I'm concerned just bad planning.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:38 AM
sailr

Default No water

I agree with you about the lack of anything to drink. I guess being around the hobby and living in Florida all these years that I planned ahead and took my own liquids. I WAS surprised about the lack of a concession stand but was even more surprised by the lack of support by R/C manufacturers to show up as vendors. I still think the event was well organized and we should be on the positive side the ledger rather than criticizing.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:28 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

I was standing in the pits when Quique slipped. He had no problem recovering and right afterwards I heard nothing but chearing. For those of you that complained you need to live a little, the man knows what he's doing. The event was awesome except for the swampy pits on Sunday and my collapsed tent from the rain the night before. The even needs to be put on again and improved and I think it will attract a good croud. Some of you need to realize all of the hard work several people had to go through to make this thing happen, have some respect and graditude.

-Kelly
Old 07-14-2003, 11:22 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Right Thrust.
All it takes is a slip and it is final. He may be good but how good was the builder or the electronics tech. IS YOUR LIFE WORTH SO LITTLE. Ask any emergency room nurse or first responder what kind of stupid things they see and this would fit right in...
Safety is no accident, neither is what Q did.
Then again go stand at the local airport on that long black strip with the numbers painted on it, about 50' feet down from the numbers and let me know if it feels safe. It would have the same end result.....
V-SNAP
Old 07-16-2003, 06:26 PM
N45328

I have gone and stood out on a long black strip with numbers painted on it! When there was an airplane flying. I actually felt pretty safe, and the end result was the same as QQ..... excitement!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:51 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

I would like to get this post back to where it started. I was there in the Pitts with my grandson and had a great time. It was not easy for the pilots either. Just trying to get some lunch from the other side and get back was a hassle. But I think it was a great event and the one's that put it together worked hard and need to be thanked for there time and work. Allen thought is was great just to be there and have a chance to fly with the best RC pilots around. I am looking forward to being there again.

You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.

Milton
Old 07-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Kanain

The freestyle was put together on fairly short notice. The event was held at an active airport while a full scale world event was happening. Though there was some newspaper activity and a little TV coverage - I should know, I was interviewed and published for both papers and TV - the advertisement was minimal for the WAC. That suited me just fine because I was there specifically for the WAC and traveled from Ohio to be there.

The IMAC free could have been organized better, but is a milestone for our hobby/sport. The folks at the Sun -n- Fun campus are more than receptive to hosting further events. At a time when the public is complaining about our "noise" and closing our flying fields, this kind of support is paramount.

The vendors - lack thereof- was not specific to the IMAC event. The WAC "amenities" were also lacking. I interacted with much of the hosts and vendors and found out that there was much confusion throughout the event. Some vendors were placed by the FAA building and hangers of the field because the usual EAA event takes place on that end of the campus. Much of the staff working the events were volunteer. They did a good job with what they had or knew.

Quique and I sat together through some of the WAC known sequence and I spoke to him after the "near accident" In Quique's own words, he got excited about flying in the full scale aerobatic box and for the full scale pilots. He wanted to give the crowd a thrill - which he certainly did. I was at the flight line and didn't see it as "up close and personal" as the spectators on the other-side of the fence, but, other than the fence - it wasn't that close. It didn't get away from him, it was controlled. While I do not agree with the action, please don't speculate on the action if you haven't talked to the man. I did think Fred Johnson was going to have a heart attack when it happened and Quique did apologize. I also don't think grabbing a plane from a torque roll is very smart either, but I have seen it done. Let's not forget that this activity is SPECIFICALLY addressed in the AMA rules!

My two cents. - Keep flying!
Old 07-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default WHOA!!! I must be seeing things!

I feel terrible just reading this. I can only imagine how the guys who worked their tails off to do this for us must feel. To the complainers, it's obvious you have no clue what it takes to put something like this on, or even a local level meet! Try it sometime, or just help a CD who desperately needs it for a meet that is one year away even. 2 months?!? This is a damned miracle is what it is! The guys literally pulled off a friggen miracle...something that has bettered a realtionship between modelling and full scale and you guys are complaining? This stuff about QuiQue? How would anyone know what that plane was doing? Were you guys flying it? How many times have you been at an airshow and *thought* you just seen something and all the sudden realized that was part of the show. ...Guys...this man is an ace! That's what he does best! In fact, that's why he was there. That goes for every single other competitor that was there also.

Now, on to the point...
Thanks Fred, and Tom, and Doug, and all the people who made this work, and thanks to all the pilots who put on the show and competed . It sounds like all of you are to be commended for the great relationship with IAC, and the high caliber of this event that was put on in such short notice. Thanks for staying out in the hot sun and judging, scoring, and running the event. I appreciate the effort! Sorry to see you guys had to come back to this.