Sponsors wanted!

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Sponsors wanted!

Old 07-02-2003, 11:22 AM
EDGE540KID

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponsors wanted!

I am currently looking for any sponsors that would consider sponsoring me. I am flying in the southwest region of IMAC. I am currently flying a 1/4 scale GP patty wagstaff extra 300s and am going to move up to a 33% Cap 232 by late this year or early next year. And if anybody has any information where i can get sponsors please let me know.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default Sponsors wanted!

OK here's what you do.

Hang out with the big dogs, do well at contests. Learn as much as you possibly can, then learn more.

Show-off when you can, be daring, innovative, and bold but not wreckless and suicidal.

Sponsorships are not just handed out. You need to prove yourself, and be at the right place at the right time. If you do get a sponsor, it will probably not mean you get a free ready to fly plane. It just means someone thinks you can show off their product best, and they will give it to you cheap, nothing more.

Good luck man! You gotta keep working at it, who knows maybe someday you will get everything free!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:53 PM
EDGE540KID

Default Sponsors wanted!

Thanks for the advice, Have you ever got a turn key aircraft from a sponsor?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sponsors wanted!

Sorry.. It just doesn't happen like that.

Sponsorship is simply a marketing means for the company. It is not a free ride, not a meal ticket. You're asking someone to give you an airplane basically. What do you bring to the equation? What's in it for the company sponsoring you?
Old 07-03-2003, 03:06 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Default Sponsors wanted!

Edge540kid,
I am the representative of a well know manufacturer and we are looking for some very good pilots to promote our new line of high performance muffler bearings. We are offering free muffler bearings in exchange for you to cover your plane in our pink and purple logo. Please let me know if you are interested.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:29 AM
bentgear

Default Sponsors wanted!

BasinBum, I'm glad you brought this up. I used too much caster in my fuel the other day and I think your new style bearing are gummed up. Will cooking them in antifreeze free them up again???????????

I guess the new style must be ball bearing since I think the old ones were roller bearings. Hate it when the balls freeze up and won't function.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:35 AM
BasinBum

Default Sponsors wanted!

Bentgear,
Yes cook them with antifreeze in your wife's crockpot and then use synthetic as the tech guys in R&D say the new cermic bearing works better that way. This should smooth out your balls for better operation.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:42 AM
bentgear

Default Sponsors wanted!

Thats what I thought. Wife suggested that I just hit them with a hammer to free them Up.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Fred
My Feedback: (21)

Default Bearing's

Ever tried ceramic muffler bearings ..very little friction their and last for ever
Old 07-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default Sponsors wanted!

Anyways back to the point

No I've never gotten a turn key plane, well at least not yet. Those opportunities are EXTREMELY rare.

Keep digging man, but remember the point of this hobby, to have FUN! If you worry and stress about getting a sponsor and becoming famous you'll be surprised how little enjoyment you get out of flying. You will actually backtrack until you get sick of it and quit.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:48 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Default Sponsors wanted!

I guess these guys are done blowing smoke. Start locally ask your LHS for fuel, or a discount on parts. Your local gas station might fill up your car a few times for a advertising space on your plane. Local business you can approach most any time of the year, national sponsors are contacted in the fall for the next year. Good luck in your search for sponsors, it is work but very nice when you land even a small sponsorship.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:31 AM
EDGE540KID

Default Sponsors wanted!

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to try it.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Sponsors wanted!

It also helps to be a super good pilot. like the ones everyone watches at the field. You need to be a cut above the good pilots and light years ahead of the average pilots.

Winning contests helps also.

The only sponsor I could get was "Hefty Trash Bags".....
Old 07-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Tim_Indy

Default Re: Sponsors wanted!

Originally posted by EDGE540KID
I am currently looking for any sponsors that would consider sponsoring me................. And if anybody has any information where i can get sponsors please let me know.
EDGE540KID, you're at the back of a VERY long line. Most in the line think businesses start their day with "Boy, I've got too much money in this cash register! Sure hope I can find somebody to give it to!". In truth, businesses are well familiar with guys walking in with their hand out, saying "Gimme a sponsorship".

Advertising creates exposure for a company, and sponsorship is simply another exposure tool. Let's say a company decides to spend a nickle per person that's exposed to it's advertisement. If they buy a magazine ad, they want to know how many people will see the ad and multiply that by that nickle per person, and that's how much the ad is worth. Same for TV, and magazine, multiply the nickle by number of people that see the ad, and you've got the price of the ad. The rate remains relatively constant, the price is determined by exposure. Same for sponsorship. Scenario during sponsorship pitch: "Let me get this straight. You want me to set you up with a $4,000 turnkey outfit so you can put my name on the side and show it to 25 guys at your local field?" Even if you travelled a lot and exposed his name to a 1,000 potential customers, this example would still cost him $4 per person. In contrast, the circulation for the February issue of RC Modeler magazine was 111,481 issues. He could take the same $4,000 you asked for and buy a quarter or half page ad and reach over 100,000 potential customers. You get the picture, multiply that same nickle per person by the number of people that will see your plane and you've got the true value of your sponsorship.

All this assumes, like jemo said, that you ARE an excellent pilot, with a great track record, with attractive equipment, and that you can represent the company well.

Like dcronkhite said, "what are YOU bringing to the table?"
Old 07-04-2003, 02:16 PM
BasinBum

Default Sponsors wanted!

Tim,
You made several good points however, Chip Hyde could wear a turd on his shoulder at the TOC and a week later 50 people would walk into their LHS and ask if they could buy one.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:13 PM
EDGE540KID

Default Sponsors wanted!

What i'm bringing to the table is advertising that the company's would probably not get other wise and most companys would rather worry about advertising than pondering on wether the guy carring the sponsor ship is a great pilot. You know it always seems to me that most stuck up companys like.... Carden Aircraft, Desert aircraft and aeroworks are always looking for "perfect pilots" and what they dont look at is the advertising brought to the table by the person sponsored.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:50 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sponsors wanted!

What i'm bringing to the table is advertising that the company's would probably not get other wise and most companys would rather worry about advertising than pondering on wether the guy carring the sponsor ship is a great pilot. You know it always seems to me that most stuck up companys like.... Carden Aircraft, Desert aircraft and aeroworks are always looking for "perfect pilots" and what they dont look at is the advertising brought to the table by the person sponsored.
Edge

I can tell you this, calling companies stuck up on a web forum such as RCU with a huge readership, is one certain way NOT to get sponsored

Its like a job.....you need to be able to do something for them in order to get them to spend their money on you. Build a resume of what you have to offer, send it out to companies and see what responses you get back.

Just remember there is no free lunch, you will likely have spent far more money getting enough recognition to get sponsored than you will likely save once you are sponsored

For me it took 8 years of competition in pattern and a semi-finals finish at the World Championships to start getting really good sponsorships.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Taildrager-inactive

Default Sponsors wanted!

Hold the phone there, Carden, Desert, and Aeroworks are very good at supplying excellent planes, and they do have a right to be proud of their products, and can run their business any way they see fit. With many thousands of posters & many potential sponsors on this site, all you have accomplished so far is said some unkind things about some potential sponsors. The RC world is very small and you have made a big mistake IMHO
Old 07-04-2003, 04:28 PM
EDGE540KID

Default Sponsors wanted!

But what you dont realize is that most of these companys wont even give you the second time of day, but i supose thats why you have to win many compitions right?
Old 07-04-2003, 04:47 PM
can773

Default Sponsors wanted!

But what you dont realize is that most of these companys wont even give you the second time of day, but i supose thats why you have to win many compitions right?
Do you realize how many requests for sponsorships some of the companies get? If they responded to all of them, they wouldnt have time to run their businesses
Old 07-04-2003, 05:16 PM
robert

Default Sponsors wanted!

Chad, you sponsered? By who?
Old 07-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Taildrager-inactive

Default Sponsors wanted!

Edge: you seen to have some pre conceived notions of how things work and many have tried to give good advise, but it seems that you know it all, when you no nothing. 1st of all you need a portfolio to present to potential sponsor's consisting of a cover page with a good color picture of you and your plane that you intend to fly. You should include competitions you are going to enter, and a short paragraph of what you intend to accomplish and what you can do for the sponsor. Also you should supply a contract to the sponsor being specific on what they will do for you & what you will do for them, and the time period involved. This might be a bit old school but this should give you a idea of whats involved.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:24 PM
can773

Default Sponsors wanted!

Originally posted by robert
Chad, you sponsered? By who?
Check out the team website, first page at the bottom With the exception of JR, OS and H&M distributing. Those are deals that the two other team members have arranged.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:34 PM
robert

Default Sponsors wanted!

Only 9 sponsers.....How do you afford to fly??
Old 07-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Tim_Indy

Default Sponsors wanted!

Originally posted by BasinBum
Tim,
You made several good points however, Chip Hyde could wear a turd on his shoulder at the TOC and a week later 50 people would walk into their LHS and ask if they could buy one.
Hehehe....then no doubt many would want refunds claiming theirs was defective since it didn't have the same aroma as Chip's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.