Need some gas advice

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Need some gas advice

Old 07-03-2003, 05:12 AM
mc71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some gas advice

Ive got my eye on a 72" katana, its really cheap and I was wondering what the number one gun gas powered engine was for this size aircraft and what engine gave you the most bang for your buck?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:53 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Additional information ??

What kit and weight? This size plane is better on glow power.

EXCAP232
Old 07-03-2003, 11:14 PM
mc71

Its a chinese kit, it recomends a 140 sized two or four stroke, at the moment we pay $72 for a gallon of cool power and I was really keen on not having to pay that for another big fuel guzzler. Get this the arf kit for this 72" katana is only $360 aus thats about $180-$200 US, its a pretty well built kit, all interlocking pieces, the wing feels quite light.

I realise I could chuck in an OS 140 RX or a 160 and have good performance with rasonable fuel consumption, is there any good 30cc sized gas engines, Im willing to sacrifice power and wing loading if it means I pay $4 for a bottle of fuel not $72.

This project is also going to hopefully lead to a gas powered pattern aircraft in the next year or so.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:57 AM
GlennO

mc71,

I just received the same Katana yesterday, I'm doing a full
review of this plane for Airborne Magazine.
I believe a 160fx or similar is the way to go. I fly DA100s in
100inc Edges and Extra's and love gas, but this Katana is too small in my opinion to run with gas.
The options a few, maybe a DA50 or a ZDZ I think 3w also have a
40, I'd stick with glow in this one as it's a great plane and deserves a compatible "donk".
just my opinions
Glenn Orchard
Victoria, Australia.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:50 AM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Default GSP Katana

I have one of these Arfs and it is awsome! I flew it with a Saito 180 with a one qart fuel tank mounted over the CG. It flew great but I got tired of going through a gallon of glow fuel or more every weekend. I just installed an RCS 180 gasser, which I will hopefully fly tomorrow for the first time. Do a search for Katana and you will find a ton of info on this plane. The only thing I didn't like was the transparent white covering. I tore it all off and totally revered the plane in Monokote and Ultracote. If you click on my photo gallery button below you can see my Katana.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:08 AM
mc71

Can you tell me who makes the aircraft, also a 35cc zenoah was suggested today for this plane, any thoughts? Aparently its more than enough for a similar sized laser 200
Old 07-05-2003, 10:21 AM
mc71

Ive just had a look at the zenoahs, Im thinking of the G-45. Same weight as the G-38 but bigger!
Old 07-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Swat Cop

Default GSP Katana

The Katana I have is made by China Models and is imported into the U.S. by a company called "Giant Scale Planes" (website is giantscaleplanes.com) or another company called Chief Aircraft (chiefaircraft.com). There is another company that makes a totally different ARF of a Katana which is the same size, Creek Hobbies (creekhobbies.com).

The Zenoah engines are probably going to be too heavy. Any gas engine is probably too heavy but I don't fly 3-D so I can get away with it. I would suggest as light an engine as you can get, ZDZ 40, RCS 140 (those are sold by RC Showcase), or MVVS 160. The bare airframe weighs only 5 pounds but weight adds up quick.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:57 PM
3D_CAP232

Hi
3W do (or did) a 40, otherwsie I'd suggest a ZDZ as these seem to be the lightest for there size (although i have no experience running them...yet!)....Putting a ZG of any type in it will bring the model out too nose heavy thus requiring lead which is more weight! But if you must I would go with the 45 as its power output is closer to the 62's!!!!
Regards
R
Old 07-06-2003, 10:28 AM
mc71

This has been very helpful, I just checked out the rcs 180, it looks pretty good, 4hp, comparable weight to a piped glow motor, and heaps cheaper! Any other thoughts?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:44 AM
mc71

At the bottom of this page http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/gallery/galleryrcs.html there is a review of the RCS 140 what looks like a hanger 9 edge and says that he is thinking of putting it in a chief aircraft Katana. I am really impressed with this engine, especially with its weight and applications for pattern, I think this engine will give the Katana good 3D performance as well as power, any thoughts?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Swat Cop

Default RCS 140

Yes, he is here on RC Universe screen name "crazyherb". I have talked to him several times here on RC Universe. The more I hear about the RCS 140 the more I think I should have gotten one instead of the RCS 180 I have. He just got his Katana don't think its flown with the RCS 140 yet. I would talk to him, he has a couple threads here:

http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...ghlight=katana

http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...ghlight=katana

The RCS 140 should pull the Katana around pretty well but I don't know if it will be enough for 3D.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:53 AM
mc71

Thanks for those links, so many of the old fogies at my club have all said that gas is too heavy, they dont have enough power blah blah blah. That might have been right a few years ago but not now, I've been trying to get a gas pattern plane for ages now, everyone I talk to tries to discourage me. Pattern doesn't need anywhere near as much power as 3D, not even as much as IMAC, so I don't know what everyone is whinging about now. I'm ganna get everyone to go gas. ( unless cool power are willing to throw some serious sponsorship my way, i'd give up my crusade then.)
Old 07-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Stiks

The supplier for 3W engines here is Oz is Model Design

http://www.modeldesign.com.au/ They have a 42 and 50

also Model flight sell the ZDZ range

http://www.modelflight.com.au/powere...low_engine.htm

the ZDZ 40 is $1100 and I dont thing that includes ignition or muffler

as for the RCS engines I haven't seen anyone in Australia selling them, be quite interested to find out if there is

Stiks
Old 07-15-2003, 09:36 AM
gingameigs

I have a yellow aircraft extra 300l that has a wing span of 72 inch and I have a brison 2.4 (39cc). They are light an not expensive. I have had it for three years and hasn't missed a beat. This would be about the same size as your Katana. Go gas you'll never look back.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:37 PM
mc71

Thankyou gingameigs, I'm more than open to new ideas. I've never had a petrol powered plane before but I already agree gas is the way to go. I tried to have a look for a web site that had brisson engines on it, I'm sure I've seen one of those banners on the rcuniverse website. If any one can help me out that would be most appreciated.
Matt
Old 07-17-2003, 09:05 AM
gingameigs

Default gasser

brison has there own site brisonaircraft.com are the 2.4 is on special at the moment for $399. I have no glow motors anymore once you use gas the reliability and the cleanliness will win you hands down. I have a DA 100 , brison 2.4 & 3.2 ,zenoah g23 etc and in my opinion they are all as good as one another.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:43 AM
mc71

They appear quite light, very powerful, and cheap, three of my main concerns, it actually looks like it could be a little two powerful, I don't know, there are soooooo many choices.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend the entry level model for a Taurus, ZDZ, DA, Fox, Brison, or 3W (40cc)
Old 07-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Ultimate_10_300

I have a rcs 1.40 on my goldberg ultimate. it has all the power anyone needs for a 10 lb airplane. I love it for it's small size and light weight with 3.0 hp. the cost was small as well. the only draw back I had was the hole I had to cut in the firewall for the carb. had to beef up the rest of the wall. and screen in the hole.
I hope it lasts forever but who knows. I love mine for power to weight and cost of gas and clean up as well... good luck down under.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:17 AM
mc71

Thankyou fro your reply, I was really enthusiastic for a while there, just at the moment the whole arf quarter scale project has been shelved for a while in preference for something alittle more hands on in the engineering department, a supercharged os140 rx believe it or not. I'm still very keen on gas, if you have any pictures of the plane and installation I'd love to see them.

Matt
Old 07-27-2003, 10:32 AM
gingameigs

When you say too much power . When is too much power too much power. Can your aerobatic model do a square loop on a corner with rolls on the 1st and the 3rd with ease or two snaps on the vertical then keep truckin on the vertical? When you talk obout power to weight ratio 1.3 to one does not cut it. It is all a function of low wing loading and power to weight ratio. A TOC model has it all, low wing loading and enough grunt to go to the moon. These modern engines are light so don,t under power your baby give it the power it deserves.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:51 PM
mc71

I'm trying to be mature about this power thing gingameigs. I'm trying to make the right decision to power the plane appropriatly for what I want to do with it. :devious: But you're right I'll probobly end up going for the biggest engine I can afford in the end. "Never too much power" is a good philosophy.

Matt
Old 08-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Ultimate_10_300

It's too much power when it overstresses the airframe. Certain airframes and other main parts of the aircraft can only handle so much. I had an inflight failure of a Horizontal stabilizer that resulted from TOO MUCH POWER. and 3D manuvers. I'm just saying don't get too crazy unless the airframe is up to the challange...
Old 08-04-2003, 11:52 PM
mc71

....And I intend on giving it all the punishment it will take for the freestyles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.