Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Best IMAC Plane

Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 PM
slim56
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best IMAC Plane

I plan to begin competing in IMAC at the entry level and would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of the various models of IMAC capable planes:

Yak

Extra (different varieties)

Giles

Etc.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-20-2009, 04:44 AM
bjor

Default RE: Best IMAC Plane

Hi Mate.

From the TBM website
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/aero/
WHICH IS BEST? - All of the planes that we offer fly very well. You will not be disappointed with any of them. If you are primarily interested in 3D flying, then the Yaks are the best. They hover pretty much all by themselves. They fly more slowly due to the large cowl, large fuselage, and thicker wing. The SD-Models 35% Yak has the largest wingspan in its class and the lowest wingloading. If you want to fly with more speed, fly larger maneuvers, and do snaps much more easily, then the Extra's are the best choice. The Extra 260 is a mid wing version of the line of Extra planes, and it has the best pitch and roll coupling of any of the Extras. While the Yaks are extremely stable, they are difficult to snap. The Extra's are less stable and are easy to snap. So, get a Yak for 3D and get an Extra 260 for IMAC.
There is stacks of reading out there - just a matter of trying to get your head around it.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I'll repeat what I think is some really good advice I got when in your position and asking the same question;

Buy the one you like. You'll most likely fly it better because you'll fly it more and that is the key, practice. If you get into IMAC and gain some more experience, then one particular airframe might suit you better for your preferences but at this stage of the game it isn't going to matter much.

Also, please be aware that the same model type from different manufacturers may not fly the same so it's not just a case of which airframe but can include which manufacturer of a particular airframe....
Old 09-03-2009, 04:47 AM
lassecfc

1. the sukhoi 26 or 29.... 2. yak 54 or 55.... after Extra, edge 540,
Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Mavpro

I have had, and flown the CARF Extra 330 2,6 for four years. A nice plane with many good pattern charcteristics. But this season I flew a CARF Yak 55 2,6. Thisone is by far the better pattern plane I ever flew. The big cowl slows the plane, especially downwards. This gives you more time to do rolls etc downwards. When well balanced, it snaps perfectly. Some weeks ago i changed engine from a 3W 106 into a Moki 150 radial. This even slows the plane more, and gives the pilot even more time to fly that plane even nicer.

This week I got a SebArt Su 29 2,6. The 3W 106 will be used in thisone, and I really look forward to next season, when I get to choose between these two round cowled planes. This kit is the most fantastic I have ever seen. All bits in the kit will be used in the plane. No guesswork at all. The only miss is that I will have to use Mintor canisters, since the 3W CS canisters are too big to fit in there.

Which plane you decide to buy is really not the issue. What matters most, is that it gets perfectly trimmed out, and above all, how many flights of training you put into it.

The important thing is that you go fly IMAC. Good luck

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken,
Interesting post. I have been throwing this around as well.
I have asked Nate to be my caller and plan on being at the SG event in March.

I am flying a CARF Yak 2.6.
This plane has the capabilities to out fly my abilities.
I have a DA100 with stock exhaust, Mez prop.

I really like the Yaks but saw a ton of extras and a few edges as well.

It really depends on how much $ youll fork out or what you already have.

See ya Sat!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Extras.