Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

AW Extra ARF Engine choice

Old 07-10-2003, 02:18 AM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AW Extra ARF Engine choice

I am trying to decide which engine to use on an AW 33% Extra ARF.

I am interested in the ZDZ 100 with KS cannisters especially, and either the 3W 100 or DA100 with cannisters.

I have had very good experiences with ZDZ's. I fly a H9 Sukhoi with a 3W100 with in cowl mufflers and its awesome power wise but noisy. I know the DA100 is good also.

Mostly interested in info on all these with cannisters. How well do they carburate, etc. I also would like to know header length requirements. I have heard comments the ZDZ needs cans to perform well.

All answers appreciated.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2003, 01:58 AM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal Experience here!!!

You can go any which way you want with this thread. It is entirely up to you. You are the one who is going to fly the AW Extra ARF, not us. The engine choice is yours!!! It is jsut a matter of what you want to run.

But, I can tell you that the AW Edge with a 3W 100 SS on pipes is absolutely ballastic!!! The original headers on my 100 were a little long. So, once they broke beyond reckognition, Bobby sent me a new shorter pair, 7 inch, I think??? WOW!!! What a world of difference!!! My mid range gurggled just a smidge!! Now with teh shorter headers, I have no gurgle in the mid range and I am NOT running the carbon air snorkel either(THANK YOU BOBBY!!)!! I'm turning a 28x10 around 63-6400!! And the high end is a little rich still!!! It starts to bark teh prop on vertical uplines. It actually sounds neat!! And when you come down on a low fly-by with power off, all you get is an air sound, rather than muffler noise!! I forgot to mention, I'm nose heavy a little bit, with teh pipes AND 8 8411's. The rudder servos are under teh cockpit on pull pull.

I know guys that are running the DA 100 in the Edge, and much like my story, about the same results, or a little less. I'm not gonna start a pissin contest here by saying that the 3W is far more superior than the DA. The fact of teh matter is, if I wasn't flying 3W, I'd have a DA.

It all in what YOU want to run. But I'm certain that you'll get these people who swear up and down a chimney pole that the BME's are the way to go. I've seen some run, and to be honest, I was NOT impressed!!!

Let me ask you this...... What do you want to run in your AW Extra??

Good Luck with teh decision of a lifetime!! No matter which road you turn down, there is always light at teh end of the tunnel!!

Chris~