Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

SA Nat's Participants / What you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 PM
downhumpty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SA Nat's Participants / What you think?

Re: Scale Aerobatic National’s

To: Participants

Event Director 2010 Scale Aerobatic Nationals (SA NAT’S)
o Joined IMAC January 2004
o Competitor, SA Nat’s 2004
o AMA, Contest Director
o AMA, Experimental Aircraft Inspector
o Attended 9 F & J Seminars
o Attended 3 IMAC Boot Camps
o Contest Director, 9 IMAC Contests
o IMAC, Judging School Instructor’s Training
o IMAC, Judging Instructor
o Assistant Regional Director, North Carolina
o Judge, 2008 SA Nat’s
o Score Keeper, 2008 Clover Creek Invitational
o Score Keeper, 2008 Southeast Regional Championship’s
o Score Keeper, 2009 SA Nat’s
o Safety Manager, Porter Scales
o Vice President, Piedmont Aeromodelers, Inc.

Planning for the 2010 Scale Aerobatic National’s is well underway, and the IMAC Board of Directors has entrusted me with the reins. It is my intent to bring you the best Nat’s experience ever. If you are a past attendee you know I have large shoes to fill. We have secured AMA sites 3 & 4 both Saturday July 3rd and Sunday July 4th for practice days. How cool is that? To top it off, we have use of the conference room in the AMA Head Quarters for a Scale Aerobatics Flying & Judging Seminar on Sunday. All participants are urged to attend.

As every one of you knows, the hardest task of any event is the Judging Matrix. Having participants from six different regions, and even some attending from foreign countries, it is nearly impossible to provide what everyone may think to be unbiased judging. The Judging matrix has become my first priority in planning the 2010 SA Nat’s. Providing a paid judging staff is a possibility, however, it’s also impossible to mix up the judging assignments from each region for every round. This also only gives us the ability to seat two judges on each line. Last year’s Unlimited Class was 25 pilots strong and took approximately 5 hours per round to complete. If you have ever spent 5 hours in a judging chair for 25 unlimited pilots you know how difficult it is to consistently judge each pilot and make decisive downgrades. Unless you have carefully studied the Aresti, pilots 1 – 3 familiarize you with the sequence. Pilots 4 – 10 get your full focus and concentration, with 11 – 15 you’re losing your attentiveness; pilots 16 – 25 you are dealing with neck pain, back pain and your eyes are starting to squint. Bottom line, as a pilot, which flight position would you prefer, 1 – 3, 4 – 10, 11 – 15, or 16 – 25?

I would like to start a new trend for larger than normal events. I have heard of Frank Noll’s Peer Judging Matrix at the ETOC and have heard nothing but positive comments. However with the SA Nat’s larger than normal classes this would be impossible to accomplish and the Score! program only handles up to 8 judges per round. I have included an example of a Judging Matrix for a 30 pilot class. It is my intention to divide the class in half to create 2 classes, Class A and Class B, having 1A – 15A and 1B – 15B. First to fly will be Class A, and they will be judged by a 7 judge panel created from Class B, then vice versa. The idea is to randomly draw 7 judges from each class for round 1. Round 2 will consist of the remainder less 1, of course. The lucky pilot that sits out for round 1 judging automatically judges round 2, so only six judges will need to be drawn. Round 2 will mix the classes. Class A & B odds will fly together with Class A & B evens judging, and vice versa. Round three will consist of Class A odds and B evens flying against Class A evens and B odds. See example matrix example below.
Example Classes

Round 1

A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, A9, A10, A11, A12, A13, A14, A15

B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, B10, B11, B12, B13, B14, B15

Round 2

A1, B1, A3, B3, A5, B5, A7, B7, A9, B9, A11, B11, A13, B13, B15

A2, B2, A4, B4, A6, B6, A8, B8, A10, B10, A12, B12, A14, B14, A15

Round 3

A1, B2, A3, B4, A5, B6, A7, B8, A9, B10, A11, B12, A13, B14, A15

B1, A2, B3, A4, B5, A6, B7, A8, B9, A10, B11, A12, B13, A14, B15

After the third round, the intent is to start over again just as listed above.

All scores will be recorded into the same program. Please keep in mind we will utilize as many judges as possible up to eight. This really cuts bias to minimum, the halo effect is gone, and who knows the sequences better that the pilots that fly them, known’s and unknown’s. Using seven judges instead of two kind of explains itself. It will be REQUIRED that all participants who have not attended a Flying and Judging Seminar since 2007 do so before the opening day of the SA Nat’s. I will provide a Flying & Judging Seminar on site (AMA Head Quarters) Sunday July 3rd for the participants.

I am well aware of our current Scale Aerobatic Rules and Regulations and depending on the feedback receive I will ask for a deviation of the following rule.

15. Determining Placement (GR-9)

15.3 The same set of judges shall judge each round. Judges may be rotated between rounds.

6. Grading of Figures (F&JG-10)

(Paragraph 3)

Two (2) judges should be used to judge each sequence. There should be enough judges available to establish a rotational procedure that will average out variations in judging. Sets of judges shall judge all contestants an equal number of times and all contestants shall have an equal opportunity to fly before all judges. Substitution of judges, which precludes equal exposure by all contestants, shall be avoided. If adverse weather conditions preclude equal exposure for all contestants, the results of the sequence may be disregarded at the discretion of the Contest Director.

Please give this Judging Matrix some serious thought before replying.

Thank you,

Kent Porter
Event Director
Scale Aerobatic National’s
Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM
downhumpty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SA Nat's Participants / What you think?

I would like to thank the IMAC BOD for allowing me to think outside the box in open forums! Gentlemen, Thank you!

Well it lasted only 2.5 hrs after the post. receive a call from AMA that plainly stated by no means could we deviate from the Scale Aerobatic Rule Book. Period! So.... I'm in search of some judges!

If you are interested in getting a full SA Nat's experience and have much of your trip funded by IMAC please call or email me. IMAC BOD has graciously allowed me to compensate qualified individuals for their judging at the SA Nat's. Judges who fulfill their duties will be handed a check from IMAC for the amount of $600.00. I will certainly entertain all inquiries.

[email protected]

919 538 6811