Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

is imac dead in texas

Old 07-17-2003, 12:31 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is imac dead in texas

It doesn't look like the Abilene imac is going to be worth a flip ,
thats to bad: all the money spent on airplanes trailers etc. just to sit a home because there is a concert or cause so-in-so is not going. The turn out should be 60 or so and there might be 15, In five classes that means every body can place in the top five just for showing up, so much for competition. All you sponsored pilots really got it made you get free stuff and don't even have to fly.
Our region sucks thats all there really is to it I just got in to imac this year and have had a really good time but with to two 2nd place finishes that were a result of no one else showing up, and next year is going to be a joke if any of the clubs even have a meet.((( If you have a plane get of your duff get in the truck and go fly cause if you don't use it your going to loose it and then what will you be the local expert (show off with all the money )but if thats enough for you then that just means more first places for me))) One more thing you Pansie's that fly unlimited can kiss my a-- cause without you there it doesn't mater how many maneuvers I zero because Ill be the only on in that class next year.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:48 AM
carrid02
My Feedback: (102)

Default IMAC in Abilene

Well.... thanks for.... voicing your... opinion. I agree.... I think we need more people to get into flying imac, get off there butt, and go fly. I'm just as guilty as anyone. I've got the resources but am hesitant because I'm in college and short on time. (excuses, I know) Anyway, it's going to be a good time for anyone who shows up and i hope we have a great turn out.
Thanks
Craig Rideout
Old 07-17-2003, 01:14 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what are you doing to promote participation, 454?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:25 AM
Bill_Higgins
My Feedback: (1)

Clint,

Well, that's one way to try to generate interest. I think it's great however that your willing to step up and lead the region.

I do however understand your frustration. In the almost 5 years that I've been flying RC (all of them in IMAC) there have always been lull's and surges in participation from year to year. I think however if you'll just look around for a second you'll see that it's just not our region alone. Look at the participation at the NAT'S, and the rest of the regions compared to years past.

BTW ....Was nice to meet you and your wife in college station.

Oh, and by the way. The only competition you need is you against the pattern. If your going to contests to beat other people, then your doing it for the wrong reason.

Respectfully,

Bill
Old 07-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Diablo-RCU

Y'all need to move up to the North Central Region.
We've got so many contests we don't know what to do.
I'm still trying to figure out why Canada is in my region.
Is Mexico in the South Central region?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:30 AM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

Your right Craig, those are poor excuses!

Man what I wouldn't give for the free time I had in College.

As for what Clint (454) is doing to promote participation? He's attending the contests, coming home and telling everyone how much fun it is, and teaching them the basic program. He's doing his part for certain. The problem is this year all we can report is "It was fun, but nobody showed up"

Heck, I talked the Abilene guys into putting on the contest, now I'm embarrassed to show my face in town!

Daniel Rathbun
Old 07-17-2003, 02:49 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Clint. Let's try to answer your question. Before I do I've been flying IMAC as long as Bill also, and was heavy in IMAC during the past 4 years, here in Tx.

1) Mesquite had the biggest contest in Tx till police were called due to rolling circle over a neighbors house. Actions were taken appropriately, asking pilots to fly smaller, but some simply refused. No more contests in Mesquite.

2) North Dallas had 2 contests at the Frisco field. Noise was a concern. Last year airplane noise was heard and complained about over 2 miles away(I think.) This is second hand to me. At any rate, no more contests will be sponsored by the NDRCC.

3) Conroe Tx had a contest last year. Again rolling circle over a neighbors house has almost closed the field since. Appropriate actions were again taken with the roller eliminated from the pattern. Noise was an issue also. Now the club is afraid to sponsor a Pattern contest(much quieter and smaller in space required.)

4) I CD'd a contest in Lubbock 2 years in a row with only 15 pilots showing up. Fun contests but not worth the effort. Not to mention, lots of Judging problems.

5) Before the Nats in 2001, 2 rules had been in the rule books for over 2 years, wind correction and center box centering. Most IMAC pilots chose to ignore these rules for personal reasons. It is hard to fly according to the rules and be judged poorly because of it.

6) Lastly, Pattern is thriving in Tx. Simple math here, $2500 for brand new state of the art 2 Meter pattern ship, vs $8500 for a 37% Extra.

These are all issues that have occurred in Tx. 3 years ago, SC was one of the biggest IMAC regions. Time will tell if this holds true for other regions or not.

I do believe IMAC has made great strides to eliminate some of the problems. Personally, just don't have the time to be competitive in both anymore.

This is not intended to bash anyone, simply a statement of circumstances that have happened here.

ed
Old 07-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

When I moved to Atlanta, I made the mistake that all the IMAC regions had the same distribution of participation. I lived in Indianapolis and 10 of the 19 events were within 2 hours drive. All the rest but 2 was within 5 hours drive. Now, except for 2 events, they are all 5 or more hours away. While I am not the best of pilots (met Bill and his dad last year at the nats. He is a great guy...his dad that is ) I go for the conversation and fellowship. That is what RC is about for me.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:38 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

I live close to Atlanta and there are about 5 close by, Mac Hodges 2 1/2 hrs. Triple Tree 2 Hrs, Trenton S.C. 2 Hrs. I think the regionals
will be at Triple Tree this year.
I don't know where people think you have to have a $6500 plane to fly IMAC. You can set up a nice 33% form $2,000 to $2.500 and compete with the best. In the Basic class you can fly a trainer if you wan't to.

Milton
Old 07-17-2003, 12:29 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Originally posted by Milton
I don't know where people think you have to have a $6500 plane to fly IMAC. You can set up a nice 33% form $2,000 to $2.500 and compete with the best. In the Basic class you can fly a trainer if you wan't to.

Milton [/B]
The engine with exhaust and radio equipment alone would run $2500

Still need a plane and covering, hardware, etc.

You are right though. it doesn't need to cost $6500, but $2500 would be a little to optimistic at getting one in the air.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:31 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Oh
and I'm going to the Abilene contest also

John
Old 07-17-2003, 02:27 PM
A320driver

All I can say is look at the SCAT series out here in the Soutwest.
IMAC has just about died a death out here. This year was not particularly good for attendance for many reasons, the war in Iraq, the terrorist threat at home and the cost of gas. You guys may only have to drive a couple of hours to all your contests, I wish! 5 plus hours is the minimum I and most others are looking at out in this part of the world, plus a two night stay in a hotel.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Dangerous Dan

Texoma RC Modelers has the longest running IMAC Competition in the SC region(7th annual). We are less that one hour north of the DFW metroplex. Our event is Aug 30 and 31. The sponsor list for pilot prizes (maby because I am the only one in this area asking). The feedback so far appears positive. We are hoping for a great turnout. I am going to try and make it to Abeline this weekend, i dont have a plane ready at this time, but would just be going to offer help and to learn. I am CD of the this years Texoma IMAC. I volunteered for this task because I was the only one willing with an AMA CD cert. This is my first contest to CD, and I have never flown in competition. Don't worry there are several club members and volunteers that will be helping out, I have read the F&J guide front to back several times. The sponsor list is very impresive and new items are arriving daily, the pilots should go home happy. The field will be open on Friday the 29th for the early arrivals.

Hopefully this is a positive note on this gloomy thread.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:03 PM

Well that went better than expected, But I know there are more of you out there that are ready to compete and are still making excuses( I under stand that some may not go because of work or money )I guess I do have it really good because of my schedule but when I got the schedule for this year I made a plan to hit as many as possible. 20 some odd hours is to far to drive but 5-6-7 even 8 hours is well worth it .
These meets have been fun so far but its me and the sequence for 3-4 weeks at a time, so its nice to fly, compete, and learn from and with others.
This thread was to make every one think so if your thinking than tell someone else about it and maybe they will get the point to
I hope to see all of you in Abilene. IT will be fun
(those of you in our region that a have an excuse then sent it to me and Ill see if it is legitimate or not )LOLLOL
God bless all of you and a special thanks to those that have defended me.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:16 PM
TXDA2000

I'll defend everything except your use of the spell check, or lack thereof. Come on man, we just got rid of one bad speller.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Dangerous Dan

dont feel bad i spell so bad that spell check doesn't even catch all of my mistakes and I am an engineer
Old 07-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Psycho3d

Default IMAC in Abilene

It is very disappointing to hear that participation is down in IMAC. I am a member of the Abilene Club that is hosting the competition this weekend, and am looking forward to a great weekend. Just curious, why are you " scared to show your face in town" because of talking us into hosting this IMAC Rathburn? There is nothing but benefits out here. Don't have to worry about rolling circles over houses, or noise bothering someone out here because the flying area is no where near any houses. Not to mention the 600' concrete runway, which by the way we have spruced up just for this competition. This will be the first such event hosted here, and I sincerely hope that similar events will follow. The Club here went so far as to advertise on TV with commercials, and flyers everywhere. I work at Dyess AFB, and cannot go anywhere without someone asking me about the IMAC. The Abilene community is truly excited about this event, and spectator attendance should be high. I just hope that pilot attendance will be high as well.
SSgt Scott M. Eidson
B-1B Crew Chief USAF
Old 07-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Dangerous Dan

Sounds like you did a great job promoting the event! I am going to try and make it there, nevertheless I hope the event goes well with so many pilots you have to run two flight lines. Hopefully if all goes well you can do this again next year. Attendance should be decent, you have a good location only three hours from DFW.

Can you e-mail me a flier and map to [email protected]
Old 07-18-2003, 03:46 PM
TXDA2000

Scott,

I was being fecitious. You guys have done a great job promoting this event. I hope the pilot turnout is good as well. There is no reason that this shouldn't be the premiere event in Texas. Time will tell.

I'm afraid if the turnout is weak that Abilene, Midland, and Odessa will not have contests next year. Then where will we be?

See you in the morning.

Daniel
Old 07-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Bill_Higgins

Good luck to everyone this weekend!!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Someone post the results of the contest!
Old 07-19-2003, 04:16 PM

open mouth insert foot I cant go to abi but with my working this weekend Daniel will be able to be there both days and another,
Edwardo (an new competitor in sportsman) will be there to
if you made it because you were all ready going good for you
if you went because i raised some hell even better
don't for get about next month in Kingsbury.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:39 PM
turbo-RCU

I am also curious about results and turnout.

turbo
Old 07-19-2003, 10:09 PM

daniel is runnig the show when he gets back Ill let him know to post them
Old 07-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Dangerous Dan

Great event Guys, 21 is a great turnout, the event went smoothly, I dont know the results since I wasn't there Sunday! I was glad to be able to drive up and help. Hope to see you all at texoma IMAC http://www.texomarc.com. Awsome demo flights! here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	95241_11575.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	54245  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.