RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   Savox servos, Anyone using them? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/10672605-savox-servos-anyone-using-them.html)

chris j 08-15-2011 06:06 PM

Savox servos, Anyone using them?

Hey guy's, I've been checking out all the servos on the market, and their prices. I've got a new project that require servos with at least 150 oz of torque on all surfaces.
I've been looking at Savox servos. The SC-1268SG is a high torque, steel gear, digital high voltage servo. the specs on the servo is,
Savox SC-1268SG High Torque Steel Gear Digital Servo (High Voltage)-savsc1268sg
List Price $115.99
Map Price $95.90
You Save $20.09

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
Weight(g): 62.0
Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .15
Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 160.0
Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .13
Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 208.3
Speed(@7.4V sec/60): .11
Torque(@7.4V oz-in): 347.2
Gear: Unique Steel
Bearing: 2BB
Case: Aluminum
25 Tooth Spline Which is a Futaba output spline for their arm. But check out all their information at their web site. www.savoxusa.com

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 08-16-2011 04:27 AM

RE: Savox servos, Anyone using them?

<div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 11.25pt 7.5pt; background: #ff3300"><span style="color: white; font-size: 10.5pt">Cirrus CDS751MG 181 oz/in Digital Servo </span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 11.25pt 7.5pt; background: #ff3300"><span style="color: black; font-size: 10.5pt">Product Description</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; background: white"><span style="line-height: 115%; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt">The CDS75/MG is a standard size high-torque digital servo with metal gears.It is an affordable option to replace standard analog servos, and its size and power make it perfect for large scale aircraft.

Specifications: Dimensions 1.6" x .78" x 1.48" Speed 4.8V .26 sec/60 deg - 6.0V .22 sec/60 deg Torque 4.8V 149 oz/in - 6.0V 181 oz/in Weight 55 gr , Dual Ball Bearing, Metal Gears</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; background: white"><span style="line-height: 115%; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt">These servos are Hi- speed,high power, metal gear , digital servos. These servos can be run on 4-8 volt &ndash; 7.4 volt batteries. </span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; background: white"><span style="line-height: 115%; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt">They are available from VAMODELBUILDERS GLEN ALLEN, VA 23060 TEL 804-270-7635</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; background: white"><span style="line-height: 115%; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt">EMAIL [email protected]</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; background: white"><span style="line-height: 115%; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt"><br clear="all" />http://vamodelbuilders.com/cirrus-cds751mg181-ozin-digital-servo-s7511816.html</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"></div>

BarracudaHockey 08-16-2011 05:36 AM

I don't recall him asking about Cirrus servos, I thought he was asking about Savox.

Savox makes Align servos, and a LOT of helicopter guys use them. So while I can't speak for those specific servos or thier applicability for IMAC, the stuff they make is generally very acceptable.

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 08-16-2011 07:40 AM

We are actually looking into carrying the line of Savox servos and are monitoring this forum to ascertain their acceptability to the general public.Our coment re the Cirrus servos was just a point in fact about a low cost servo we have been handling.
Any information from you and the forum is greatly appreciated.

exeter_acres 08-16-2011 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS

Our coment re the Cirrus servos was just a point in fact about a low cost servo we have been handling.

Or an ad

exeter_acres 08-16-2011 08:57 AM

As barracuda mentioned.. many folks are using these in the Heli world... really not sure how many are using them in the IMAC world....
the key with IMAC is to find a servo that has great centering characteristics... and great resolution. You want the servo to go to the same place, every time you put it there....

Which airframe would these be for?

NJRCFLYER2 08-16-2011 03:58 PM

Suggest that you confirm their deadband specs. Last time Ilooked into it about a year ago,the deadbandwas something like 3 or 4 us, not the best for precision flying. Things may have changed since then. They look nice otherwise.

chris j 08-16-2011 05:33 PM

I plan on using them on a 30cc Pilot Sbach 342. The kit looks great and plan on using either a 3W 38i or DLE 30 for power. Hopfully i can go high voltage to operate everything except the ignition. What i wanted was an opinion on possibly using these guys instead of JR servos of which i'm very familiar with.

NJRCFLYER2 08-16-2011 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: chris j

I plan on using them on a 30cc Pilot Sbach 342. The kit looks great and plan on using either a 3W 38i or DLE 30 for power. Hopfully i can go high voltage to operate everything except the ignition. What i wanted was an opinion on possibly using these guys instead of JR servos of which i'm very familiar with.
Ijust double checked some Savox specs and the deadband spec was 3 &mu;sec. That's an indication that you will have less centering accuracy than any JRdigital servo (basically at or less than 1 &mu;sec). You can definitely notice this difference. However, if you're picking a titanium gear Savox vs some of the JRmetal gear servos, you may fare a little better over time with less gear wear on the Savox, which could offset that difference in the deadband specs.

Since you mention it now, on the ignition voltage issue, you can just get an Ultra IBEC and plug it directly into an aux channel on the receiver. It will let you set the output voltage to the CDI at either 5V, 5.3V. 6.1v or 6.6V. Full disclosure - my company produces the Ultra IBEC.

chris j 08-16-2011 08:29 PM

Where did you find that info on Savox servos? I just looked that site up and didn't see that info?

NJRCFLYER2 08-16-2011 11:05 PM

Take a look here:

http://www.savoxusa.com/ProductDetai...Show=TechSpecs

vasek 08-17-2011 01:38 AM

There's quite a few modelers around here using them. I think they're a bit overpriced, but so is a Porche... to each his own

BarracudaHockey 08-17-2011 06:53 AM

One A123 pack with dual outputs and a diode on the ignition line is all you really need. I get mine from wrongwayrc

No disrespect to the UBEC, but IMO a little overkill for a 30cc

Are you actually going to compete in IMAC or just schlep around "IMAC style" ?

Have you looked at Hitec as well?

Jezmo 08-17-2011 08:02 AM

Just a thought. If you look into the Hitec's be sure and search both here and over on the F-Giants site for HS-79XX jittering and jumping issues. Hitec is now beginning to recognize they have problems (The FG site has about 145 pages of comment). I have some HS-7955TG and 7985MG Hitec's that are jittering pretty bad so I've been following the issue. Hitec is now saying it can be resolved with a firmware update but I'm not sure if that requires sending them in. I suspect it does mean as much. Just wanted to make everyone aware of that little issue.

haasjj 09-09-2011 08:03 AM

chris j Did you get and try the servos? If you did how did you like them? I am planning on using them in the 25% Sbach, that's how I came across this thread by doing a search for the plane. Let me know what you think of the servo's.

chris j 09-11-2011 01:28 PM

Sorry about the delay. I decided to go with JR 8711 servos. The info i got on the savox's was they wouldn't center as well as JR's. plus the 8711s would give me plenty of torque to handle the plane properly. The plane is almost complete, but still need to run the engine and tie down everything inside the fuse. Decided to go with a DLE 30 engine. I'm dying to see how well it's going to fly.

haasjj 09-11-2011 08:26 PM

No problem chris, we all get busy. I understand about going with the JR servos, I did order two of the savox servo's for a twist 40 I have I'll give them a try but I will likely be buying either JR or hitec for my Sbach.

bemeson 09-14-2011 07:05 AM

I thought I would jump in here and give my opinion on Savox Servo's. I have been using the 1256TG and and 1258TG servos in my AW 30cc Edge and my GW 50cc Sbach. The servos have been awesome and I have over 75 flights on the Edge and and about the same on the SBACH. I fly mostly IMAC type stuff. The resolution on these servos is superb, they center perfectly, and most importantly they do not glitch when attached to my unregulated A123 batteries. The servos have a titanium gear train. I have removed all my Hitec 79XX servos from my remaining planes and I plan to replace them with various Savox servos. If anyone is interested in any additional information, please feel free to get a hold of me. I also know of a vendor that sells these servos at a very nice price.

Thanks
Brian

Capt Cash 09-14-2011 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: bemeson

I thought I would jump in here and give my opinion on Savox Servo's. I have been using the 1256TG and and 1258TG servos in my AW 30cc Edge and my GW 50cc Sbach. The servos have been awesome and I have over 75 flights on the Edge and and about the same on the SBACH. I fly mostly IMAC type stuff. The resolution on these servos is superb, they center perfectly, and most importantly they do not glitch when attached to my unregulated A123 batteries. The servos have a titanium gear train. I have removed all my Hitec 79XX servos from my remaining planes and I plan to replace them with various Savox servos. If anyone is interested in any additional information, please feel free to get a hold of me. I also know of a vendor that sells these servos at a very nice price.

Thanks
Brian

Thanks for the info. I am considering the Savox 1258TG for my 25% 30cc MX2, if I can get them at a good price. I currently have Hitec 7954's in itwhichI knoware overkill, but Iplan to put them in alarger 30%MX2 I have.

I also have the 7954's in my 50cc Sbach and after 50 flights of semi-hard flyingthey are still perfect. I am aware of the problems with the 79xx series so at the momentI'm leery of buying more of these. I got a batch of 10 new ones6 months agofor $75 ea. shipped.

Problem is,for an appropriately rated torque servo for my small 25% MX2I'm only finding about $10 or less insavings per servo for something such as the Savox 1258TG which has only HALF the torque of the Hitec 7954!

chris j 09-14-2011 06:01 PM

Hi guys, i plan on trying some in my next project. I'm working on a 50cc extra. I haven't decided on what kit, but i do intend on trying them.

kenh3497 09-17-2011 09:02 AM

For what it's worth....

Nexus servos from Audacity Models ( http://www.audacitymodels.com/ ) have been getting some "not bad" reviews from the heli guys. They are a digital coreless design. The price is right also. The web sight has been under a total revamp so at the moment there are no specs available.

A you tube video from early this year. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRqJJudDpI ) and here is the original post on Helifreak about these servos. ( http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=212911 )

I was going to put these in my next helicopter when I decided to not fly heli's anymore.