RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   back to back sequence (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/10753886-back-back-sequence.html)

kenh3497 10-07-2011 05:06 PM

back to back sequence

When flying a basic, or for that matter any level, back to back sequence, is one flown upwind and the other downwind? Is it the same sequence both times? I've seen the back to back mentioned and wondered how this works. As a general rule how much flight time does it take to complete two sequences back to back, again the focus on basic.

Thanks

bubbagates 10-07-2011 05:26 PM

RE: back to back sequence

Same sequence both times when flying the knowns, no landing from the time you take off until you pull out of the last maneuver of the second sequence. Once you get above Basic, then you are required to fly an unknown sequence that you typically get Saturday after the days competition is finished. You are not allowed to practice them on a simulator, though can build a stick plane and practice fly them that way. On Sunday, you will normally fly the unknowns 1st and you are not allowed to "practice" before the unknowns with your model. When I say practice, almost every contest I have ever been too, you are allowed to practice your sequence before the contest starts on Saturday. One of the main reason it is allowed that day is to give the pilot a chance to get familiar with the field if you have never been there before or just to get that little edge on everyone else in your class :D

However, you only need to do the unknown sequence one time so you take off, fly the sequence one time, then land. Expect your nerves to go through the roof the very first time you fly an unknown. If you mess it up, that score does not get dropped. Other sequences can be dropped. Every third sequence can be dropped. This is to help "normalize" everyones score What happens is you take the worst score of the last three sequences and that score is dropped. Most contests in my region usually end up flying 8 total sequences and if they are required in the class you are in, the one sequence of the unknown

Also, both sequences need to be in the same direct, so if you start the first sequence flying right to left, the second sequence must be done the same way

Sorry about that, I went off on a tangent, I'm a huge fan if IMAC

I have created two apps for IMAC. One for Apple devices and another for Andriod, Everything you need to know about IMAC will be at your fingertips plus a few goodies

If you run an Apple device, search the iTunes app store or directly from your device if you have the app store app installed for IMAC Lite.

If you are using an Android device, search the Android marketplace from your device for the exact same name

Both apps are free and are hugely popular amongst the IMAC pilots

(sorry shameless plug ;) )

gene6029 10-08-2011 05:18 AM

kenh3497, In basic, and above, you fly two sets of the same sequence. The back to back reference just means once you have compleated the sequence for the first time, you must fly it again for a second time, no landing in between. Its up to the pilot how he wants to fly the sequences as far as "up wind or down wind" as you call it. Generally the basic sequence only takes a few min to fly, but nobody pressures you on time. You should have plenty of fuel to fly both sequences if thats your concern. The focus in basic is haveing fun, and you will.....Gene;)

kenh3497 10-08-2011 04:48 PM

Thanks to both of you for the clarification!!

I do not have a smart phone. Mine is as dumb as they get..... or is it the user????:D:D Guess I'll just do it the old fashion way for now. Maybe if I win the lottery..... Oh! you have to play to win and I don't play.

K-Bob 10-11-2011 04:19 AM

Technically, if you finish the first sequence and encounter problems with the plane (mechanical failure etc.) and you have not started the second sequence, you can land and attempt a fix. If you are successful and have your palne ready you can get at the end of the flight order and fly the second sequence.

Flight direction is at the discretion of the pilot and is usually determined by wind direction.

sewbusy 10-13-2011 04:39 AM

Hi there Ken.... I see that Bill has answered your questions above....so no need to repeat.
The 2012 Official Basic/Sportsman/Intermediate/Advanced sequences are now up on the IMAC website on the front page. http://www.mini-iac.com
The Basic sequence takes approximately 5 minutes to complete so with a 10 minute gas supply, you will be good to go. In Basic, you will be able to fly any aircraft, so you don't need to purchase or build a different plane from what you now fly. If you take a look in the training section, at the lower part, you will see information on what the Judges will be looking for in the Basic sequence. We are presently working on the 2012 sequence Judging Presentation for both Basic & Sportsman & as soon as these are completed, they will be published on the IMAC site in the same place under Training.

Hope to see you flying on the IMAC circuit soon.
Best Regards,
Wayne (Matthews)
IMAC President

nonstoprc 10-13-2011 05:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Same sequence both times when flying the knowns, no landing from the time you take off until you pull out of the last maneuver of the second sequence. Once you get above Basic, then you are required to fly an unknown sequence that you typically get Saturday after the days competition is finished. You are not allowed to practice them on a simulator, though can build a stick plane and practice fly them that way. On Sunday, you will normally fly the unknowns 1st and you are not allowed to ''practice'' before the unknowns with your model. When I say practice, almost every contest I have ever been too, you are allowed to practice your sequence before the contest starts on Saturday. One of the main reason it is allowed that day is to give the pilot a chance to get familiar with the field if you have never been there before or just to get that little edge on everyone else in your class :D

However, you only need to do the unknown sequence one time so you take off, fly the sequence one time, then land. Expect your nerves to go through the roof the very first time you fly an unknown. If you mess it up, that score does not get dropped. Other sequences can be dropped. Every third sequence can be dropped. This is to help ''normalize'' everyones score What happens is you take the worst score of the last three sequences and that score is dropped. Most contests in my region usually end up flying 8 total sequences and if they are required in the class you are in, the one sequence of the unknown

Also, both sequences need to be in the same direct, so if you start the first sequence flying right to left, the second sequence must be done the same way

Sorry about that, I went off on a tangent, I'm a huge fan if IMAC

I have created two apps for IMAC. One for Apple devices and another for Andriod, Everything you need to know about IMAC will be at your fingertips plus a few goodies

If you run an Apple device, search the iTunes app store or directly from your device if you have the app store app installed for IMAC Lite.

If you are using an Android device, search the Android marketplace from your device for the exact same name

Both apps are free and are hugely popular amongst the IMAC pilots

(sorry shameless plug ;) )
Good info. Thanks.

On the dropping of three worst scores. it sounds like the unknown one could be dropped, if it is one of the bottom three scores among known and unknown sequences. Or if one flies very well in the group, the unknown score is not that important.

Just like to understand how unknown works.

Silent-AV8R 10-13-2011 05:53 AM

You will rarely ever drop 3 sequences at a contest. Unknowns are almost never dropped except at very large multi-day events like the NATS. The most usual situation is flying 6 Known sequences and dropping the worst 2 of those. Unknown sequences are rarely dropped, except again at events like the NATS where more than one Unknown is flown.

exeter_acres 10-13-2011 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

actually this is not true... if you want to fly them different directions, you are more than welcome to... just let the judges know.