RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   Getting ready for 2012 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/10975879-getting-ready-2012-a.html)

overbored77 02-25-2012 06:24 PM

Getting ready for 2012

Alright guys I have my 84" MX2 flying and I have a few flights. Only has a ZDZ40 in it, but it will fly vertical
with ease at 16LB. I am in the process of trimming now. Practiced the basic sequence a few times and i feel
good about it. Now are there going to be any contests in NJ, or PA????

bubbagates 02-26-2012 04:53 AM

RE: Getting ready for 2012

ORIGINAL: overbored77

Alright guys I have my 84'' MX2 flying and I have a few flights. Only has a ZDZ40 in it, but it will fly vertical
with ease at 16LB. I am in the process of trimming now. Practiced the basic sequence a few times and i feel
good about it. Now are there going to be any contests in NJ, or PA????
Hi Chris,

You really should be over on the IMAC site for things like contest locations and such. I can tell you there will be contest in PA, most likely in Milford, Hamburg and that's about it. We have never been able to get anyplace in NJ to have a contest. There is a basic only event in Parkton MD which is just over the border in MD just south of York PA and I would highly recommend you attend that one.

I'm not trying to sound negative but you said you have been practicing the Basic sequence so I have a few questions for you. Which radii on which maneuvers must be identical and which ones are not, where do you place any roll elements when they are inside a maneuver, what exactly is a wind corrected line and when do you not have to have any wind correction in the line. When doing a hammer head (stall turn) do you have to be completely vertical (i.e. remove any wind correction) before you pivot. When are aerobatics allowed to be preformed which are not on the aresti.

The biggie question I always get is at what wind speed does the contest end. Well there never is a set speed, we've (meaning the pilots) voted to fly in 25+MPH winds and it ended up being the best flying I had ever judged. I judged two contests last year that flew in 20mph winds that were gusting to 50mph

I have spent the last several years running basic training stuff all over the NE region and the questions I just asked are the typical ones I find that most pilots do not know but are the biggest points killers. These very same pilots come to a contest believing they are prepared and then go off the deep end when they find their scores are not what they should be, never to return because they thought the judges were unfair when the judges were doing their jobs

Again, I'm not trying to scare you or make you run off, I just want you to be prepared, IMAC is tons of fun and loads of great people that are willing to help you out, you just have to pay attention and listen to the more experienced folks and they will not steer you wrong and once again, you would be way better hitting the IMAC website for IMAC information, sadly RCU does not have much of a following regarding IMAC

overbored77 02-26-2012 08:05 PM

All maneuvers are wind corrected, except directly before the pivot of the hammerhead, and the autorotation of a spin, must be corrected on the downline.
The points of the Sharks tooth, both normal and reverse, and the top of a humpty bump have a smaller radii than the entrance and exit radii.
Roll points are shown on the aresti symbols, usually in the center of the line, except in the case of the immelman which is perfromed at the end
of the half loop. Wind correction is correcting for track, not attitude of aircraft. I always thought that non aresti aerobatics are performed
in the Freestyle class.

As for wind speed, when I flew Pattern we just used the ruling of the FAI, and Masters pilots, if they don't want to fly you definitely don't.

sewbusy 02-27-2012 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: overbored77

All maneuvers are wind corrected, except directly before the pivot of the hammerhead, and the autorotation of a spin, must be corrected on the downline.
The points of the Sharks tooth, both normal and reverse, and the top of a humpty bump have a smaller radii than the entrance and exit radii.
Roll points are shown on the aresti symbols, usually in the center of the line, except in the case of the immelman which is perfromed at the end
of the half loop. Wind correction is correcting for track, not attitude of aircraft. I always thought that non aresti aerobatics are performed
in the Freestyle class.

As for wind speed, when I flew Pattern we just used the ruling of the FAI, and Masters pilots, if they don't want to fly you definitely don't.
Hello there Chris.... We look forward to seeing you at one of the IMAC contests in the near future. Your experience in Pattern will definitely help you in Scale Aerobatics. I am sure that Bill will chime in here again with further comments. I just wanted you to be aware that there is a particular set of training that we had done for the 2012 BASIC sequence that explains some of the areas that new pilots need to pay attention to if they would like to garner the best scores.
[link=http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/0/Education/PPT/basic2012_files/frame.htm]BASIC TRAINING MODULE[/link]

Pertaining to the Sharks Tooth...This is from Family One in the Aresti Catalog and each of the radii do not need to match... there does not need to be a smaller/larger one. The only radii on a Humpty Bump that need to match are the entry & exit...the half loop can be any size radius (not necessarily smaller).

There is a LOT to learn and there is quite a bit of interesting material on the IMAC website under the [link=http://www.mini-iac.com/Training/tabid/121/Default.aspx]TRAINING[/link] section.

Again...we look forward to seeing you participate in IMAC & I'm SURE you will enjoy doing so.
Best regards and safe flying,
Wayne

bubbagates 02-27-2012 05:18 AM

Hi Chris,

I just re-read my post and it sounds, even to me, a bit condescending so I want to apologize for that. Ok so you have a good bit of experience and that is great. Wayne made an excellent suggestion to look at the online training and I certainly think that is something everyone should do, new and experienced pilots alike. It is a great tool to learn the judging ins and outs and what they are looking for. Judging is a bit different from pattern though what those differences are I do not exactly know, I jsut know a few pattern pilots and they have mentioned a few things to me over the years.

As far as contests go, the NE is historically a little slower than most to get contests listed. It can be frustrating when you are trying to plan out the year, like I need to do to make sure I can get the time off at work.

I would honestly try to make the event in Parkton MD. Steve and Iyone Stanton are putting this one so that the new pilots can get a feel for what it is like and are two of the finest people in our region that you could ever meet. While you are experienced, it may still help you. I among other experienced pilots and judges will be there to help and answer questions. It is a one day thing, it is being scored (bragging rights only unless Steve has something in mind that I am not aware of) but since it is not a standard IMAC contest, the points earned will NOT count towards the regional points

Ok so now a shameless plug for me, If you have an Apple or Android smartphone/tablet then I have created an app called IMAC Lite. I generally develope the Apple version and Nick White handles the Android version. Both are updated to the 2012 information and IMAC Lite itself is free. The Android version currently has two versions, one is free and the other is very cheap and I believed called IMAC Pro. The Apple version is totally free.

OK, so now is where I tell you that one of teh best things to do regarding Radii is to make them all the same, it's tough to do but the problem I run into in all of the judging that I do is that a lot of judges do not remember which radii need to be equal and which do not, so TO ME, it is best to make them all the same.

Ok so before Wayne and Curtis yell at me for that statement [&:] please remember that this is not the proper way to do this, it is just better all the way around