RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   Gas engine for H9 EDGE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/281487-gas-engine-h9-edge.html)

rkrig 09-24-2002 02:43 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

Could someone please recommend a good but fairly inexpensive gas engine for this plane? Would like enough power to hover. Thanks. Randy

rcob1 09-24-2002 09:23 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

a g38 wil do the job

SAL98 09-24-2002 09:57 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

ZDZ 40 with the 20x10 prop. one of if not the lightest gas engines for this plane. the G-38 might be less money but probably to heavy.
This plane was not designed for a gasser so you will have to reinforce the firewall and watch the wing loading.

jrjohn 09-24-2002 10:47 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

I've seen one with a zdz40 and it looks clean. I'm sure it has enough power to Hover. Its too bad the plane isn't worth squat. Be prepared for some really nasty stalls, the plane flops around like a wounded bat totally out of control untill you get the airspeed up. Trust me, Your going to freek out the first time it happens.
I have over 200 flights on one with a Saito 180

You may want to create a new leading edge with the proper shape. (Basically less blunt) I've been told thats where the problem is, and reshaping the leading edge will help.
I think the airplane is down right dangerous, and it's being discontinued. Go figure.....

john

Mike Rojas 09-24-2002 11:23 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

There is no good gas engine for this plane,like it or not it's true.Especially a G-38,way too heavy,no power.This plane simply was not built or intended for gas.It will be too heavy even with a light gas engine,and all the 1.6-1.8 gassers wont provide enough power for 3D.I know there are people out who are going to say I'm crazy,But trust me I'm not,I've done it.Put your money into an OS 1.60 and you'll be much happier.If you don't believe me just do the gas thing and you'll see.If all you want to do is hover and basic aerobatics you might get away with it,but harrriers,elevators,inverted flat spins,etc. will be a no way.If you are interested,here is a link to H-9 Edge with a ZDZ 40,be sure to read the part where he says he does not recomend this combo. http://www.concentric.net/~Dhmodels/workshop6.htm

Mike.

Shortman 09-24-2002 11:26 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

Dont worry about its flight characteristics. They are awsome, all the old planes had bad wings, now they all have the new wings and fly much better. I also recommened using a os 1.60fx like Im using. You will be much happier

Mike Rojas 09-24-2002 11:31 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

BTW,I forgot to mention,Shortman is right,flight characteristics are awesome.I haven't experienced anything nasty since switching to the 1.60
Mike

Shortman 09-24-2002 11:36 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

I'm telling ya man, they don't tell you a recommened engine size for nothing. They spend lots of time testing with different engines to find what works the best. And Ive researched and I can't find any engine that fits this edge better.

Moki 1.8 is strong, very strong but 12 OUNCES heavier!

any gas engine would be very heavy and have a negative effect on its flight characteristics

a saito 1.8 would be cool, but i dont have 30$ for every 1 gallon of fuel, not to mention it doesnt have as much power as the os 1.6

anyway you look at it the os seems the best, except for fuel consumption, but thats the price im willing to pay for best flight performance

Geistware 09-24-2002 11:43 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

The 3W engines are on sale.
You should be able to get a 40cc model for about $450

Shortman 09-24-2002 11:49 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

what are they normally? 500, 550?

jrjohn 09-24-2002 11:51 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

shortman is right, the Saito 180 burns fuel. 24oz tank last about 10 mins. go for the 0s 160. Mine flew like crap, and so does my friends, but I guess some people have them flying straight. I hope you have good luck.

I'll have another Edge 540. but it won't be a H9

skerlock 09-26-2002 04:54 AM

JRJOHN

The issue is not the leading edge...It is the twist in the wings...The ones that arent flying well have a twist in one or both panels..put an incedence meter at the root first..either side..now compare the other root..now move your meter 4inches over till you get to the wing tip..i put small masking tape pieces at each spot and put the degree #s on the taps so I could get a better overview...Now do the opposite side...On My wing That did what you are saying..staling at the tip ..droping the tip..whatever we want to call it..the side that droped first was the panel...are you ready for this..IT HAD 2 DEGRS. OF WASH-IN...WASH-IN..DAH that is why we are having so many problems...Now my new wing has wash out..3/4 degree diffrence between the two tips..and be carefull the roots being lined up does not always give you the same incedence on both sides.

I will be putting this on a new thread for all to read later..

Scott

jrjohn 09-26-2002 01:55 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

I believe you, but I still tink the leading edge is the wrong shape, look at any other Edge 540, Look at the full scale , look at aeroworks, Carden, lanier

John

Shortman 09-26-2002 04:49 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

the OLD VERSION wings had problems, these new wings are perfectly fine, the old ones the shear webs were in the wrong direction, my h9 edge is perfect, but listen to skerlok

drandles 09-26-2002 05:07 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

I have to agree. The H9 Edge 540 is not made for gas. I ran mine with a Saito 180. It did nicely but didn't waterfall as easily as I would have liked it to. I put in a Brison 2.4 Gas engine. Just made the plane heavier, not necessarily better.

I sold the Edge and bought a Dave Patrick 330L w/ Brison 3.2. That was a much better engine/plane combination, but I'm already set to sell that one too. Since June I've been flying a 1/3 scale H9 Cap 232 with a Mac Minarelli 85 (electronic ignition added). Now here's a combination that makes waterfalls a breeze at half throttle.

:)

Dale

Nex 09-26-2002 07:09 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

Skerlock, how would you go about fixing a wing like that? How can you twist the wing like that or repair it so that there is no wash-in?

Welsh3D 09-26-2002 09:09 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

the lightest / powergasser is a MAckay 30cc.... stunning engine.... see www.moki.co.uk ......... I certainly wouldn't go with anything else, and believe me I know what im on about :)

Mine's scheduled for a change to one of these soon, post having flown one recently with this engine.

Jemo 09-26-2002 10:09 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

Welsh3D:

I assume you were very pleased with the 30cc engine.
I have the 1.4 RCS (Moki) on my Hanger 9 edge and it flies great but I would like to add a few more horsepower without going to a light 40.
Can you elaborate a bit on the flight performance with the 30.

Here is the RCS link, should be the same engine.
http://www.rcshowcase.com/RCS%20180%20.htm

rkrig 09-26-2002 10:30 PM

edge wing

How do I know if I have the new or old wing? just purchased the plane used, its about a year and a half old I think. Thanks. Randy

jrjohn 09-26-2002 11:13 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

Look on the servo mount rail in the wing, if you have a new wing it will have a red stamp about 1/4 in diameter, stamped on the rail.

good luck man

john

sport10 09-26-2002 11:36 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

There is nothing wrong with the design of the H9 Edge 540. The only problem is that some of the planes have been coming with warped wings or with leading edges that do not match. It is not the round leading edge that is causing the stalling. Actually a blunt leading edge is more stall resistant than a sharper one.

Ditto on keeping this plane light. Try to stay under 13 pounds for good performance. The one that I have has an OS 1.60 FX w/slimline pitts muffler running an 18x6W APC. I have fully unlimited vertical with this combo on 5% fuel. My plane weights in at 12.25 pounds and it performs 3D very well. It does not have any tendicy to tipstall. It just mushes forward in a stall. Very easy to control elevators and harriers. This plane does a perfect wall. It seems to rotate on the wings cg. In all I believe this to be one of the best 1.20 size planes for 3D.

Shortman 09-26-2002 11:56 PM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

choosing the right engine makes all the difference for this plane, my choice, either get a moki 1.8 or os 1.60fx if you want best results

jrjohn 09-27-2002 12:01 AM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

I know I was really negative about the h9 Edge, and for good reason. But I will tell you one thing. Horizon Hobby stood behind both broken wings, they replaced everything that was damaged. And they didn't give me a hard time. I can't say enough good about Horizon. They are first class. In the end thats what really counts. If they build a 1/3 scale Edge, I'll be one of the first to buy it.

John

Dare to be different

rkrig 09-27-2002 01:35 AM

jrjohn

Thanks for the well-wishes and nice thoughts, wish I could tell you which wings this plane has, but it hasent even been shipped to me yet, I was asking about an engine for it when this thread started ( it had saito 1.80 but i got airframe only) People have some strong feelings for this aircraft and H9, I'll be happy to own this plane just for the conversation.

Randy

For longer yet to eye it

still too scared to fly it

jrjohn 09-27-2002 01:46 AM

Gas engine for H9 EDGE

Randy, You got that right! there are definatly some strong feelings about the plane! At times I loved it, other times I hated it. I had hundreds of flights on mine. I always prided myself with being able to recover from it's sudden stalls with no prior notice. Last Saturday It all ended. I stalled and put it straight into the mud. I never knew what hit me. It looked like somebody spilled a box of toothpics. Damm that thing, how dare it make a fool of me in front of 15o people at a flyinn. I'm still pissed off.
If you have a bad wing, you'll swear your radio is screwed up, or there's a gremlin on board. it's neither. I hope you have a good one!