RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   IMAC near Detroit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/3666793-imac-near-detroit.html)

mihelich 12-18-2005 01:17 PM

IMAC near Detroit

Hey guy's,
I was looking to join the IMAC organization and was wondering were around the Detroit
area has this type of flying.
Thanks,
Tom Mihelich

exeter_acres 12-18-2005 01:33 PM

RE: IMAC near Detroit

I will be flying IMAC... I live down near Monroe...
the closest contests are out near Lansing...
if you go to the IMAC website and then go to the North Central calendar
http://www.mini-iac.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=122

it will have events listed... there is one down near Sandusky OH, across the river in Ontario
and then a few out past Lansing....

Hope that helps...
Where do you fly?

Cheers
Exeter

Monroe area Cloudbusters
Toledo Weak Signals

mihelich 12-18-2005 02:35 PM

Hey Exeter,
Thanks for the info.
I was tring to see if you are aware of any local fields or clubs that fly IMAC type aircraft.
It is the practice time and being around others with these types of planes that I am looking for.
I would definitely be heading to the regional contests once I get up to speed.
What fields do you fly at? Just not sure what is near Troy Michigan for something this big.
Tom

exeter_acres 12-18-2005 03:33 PM

for big... weak signals is great... lots of space, paved runway.. I enjoy it.. really good people too.. been helpful to me...
not sure about up that way though....

Geistware 12-18-2005 06:59 PM

See if you can contact Tom Wheeler. He lives/flys around Pontiac.
He should be able to help you.

rcplanefan 12-18-2005 10:29 PM

Tom,

There is alot of activity in the Detroit area. Tom Wheeler is the previous IMAC president, and he is extremely knowledgable and helpful. I think he flies at the Pontiac club. Sam Monteleone ownes Sure-Link custom control systems, and he lives in the Detroit area - I believe he belongs to the Weak Signals club. Another great club is in Lansing - the CARDS. They hold two contests there every year - one being the regional championship - and Cam McCausey flies there. Cam is a super guy and extremely helpful. Joe Didia also flies at the CARDS and is a great ambassador for IMAC.

If you go to the NC Region Contest Schedule on the IMAC website, click on the contests in your area. If you contact the CD of any of those contests, you can be sure that he will put you in touch with somebody nearby who can help you. If that doesn't work, give me a call or shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Finally, if you can make it, come to the Flying and Judging Seminar in Muncie in April (check the schedule on the IMAC website for details). You will meet LOTS of guys who can help you out, plus you can learn what IMAC is all about. I hope some of this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if I can help you in any way.

Ken McGuire
IMAC North Central Regional Director

sjm 12-19-2005 07:40 PM

Hi Tom,

Where abouts are you in MI? I can steer you to the nearest bunch of guys flying IMAC. I fly most of the time in Lansing at the CARDS club but there are several other fields where guys are flying IMAC.

mihelich 12-20-2005 11:44 AM

Hey Sam,

I am located in Troy Mi.
I have conversed a bit with the guys from the Detroit Radio Control club after seeing a few pic's on their web site of so 30-40% planes.
Do you have any other leads in this area?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Wheeler 12-20-2005 12:43 PM

Tom,

As Ken noted, I fly at the Pontiac club, we have a group of guys flying IMAC. IMAC is all I fly and during season I'm out flying 3-4 times a week, so I would be glad to give you a hand. Plan on attending the Judging School down in Muncie this spring, you will learn more there then you can anywhere else.

Call me any time, my cell is 248-310-9618

Tom Wheeler

mihelich 12-20-2005 05:53 PM

Tom,
Thanks for your reply.
Can I ask how many IMAC pilots fly at the PMAC club?
I was just surfing the PMAC web site and this looks like a very nice club
which is fairly close to my home.
I will also be adding the Muncie IMAC event in April to my calendar to attend.
I have flown a Sig Kouger in the past and currently have a Electric converted 56" ARF Extra 300.
It flies really nice but I am looking to progress to the next level and IMAC really
looks like something I could really get into.
Can I get your opinion on the two choices I am looking at.
1. An Aerotech 35% Edge 540 or 2. A Hanger 9 Edge 540 33%.
What type of plane do you fly? What is the top IMAC plane at this time that the big dogs are using?
My plan would be to start off in the spring with the club in training using my PC-9. (OS.61 powered;))
And then begin building the 35% craft throughout the year to be ready for next season.
Please let me know your thoughts on these two aircraft for IMAC.

Thanks,
Tom Mihelich

exeter_acres 12-20-2005 05:57 PM

I don't claim to be an expert... but from what I researched.. the Edge is not the best for IMAC... it can and will fly it very well... but it seems to be better for 3D... due to the wing shape and the stall characteristics...

seems an Extra is a bit better for IMAC..

I'm going to try my hand with a QQ 50cc Yak....
may have to drive up to Pontiac!

I am heading to Muncie too!
and if you are on the south side (as in near the Ohio border!) drop me a line

ncsanik 12-20-2005 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

I don't claim to be an expert... but from what I researched.. the Edge is not the best for IMAC... it can and will fly it very well... but it seems to be better for 3D... due to the wing shape and the stall characteristics...

seems an Extra is a bit better for IMAC..
that is true, but it only makes a diffrence if you are in the unlimited or when your in a tight points race. mainly your skill is detremened by what goes on between the ears.

see you guys in muncie!

brian

T Wheeler 12-20-2005 09:55 PM

There are 4-5 guys that fly IMAC at Pontiac (PMAC), most fly Basic or Sportsman, I fly Advanced. I think next year there will be a few more interested in giving IMAC a try, so I'll be working with all of them as well.
As for aircraft I have been flying TBM (Dalton Aviation) 42% Extra 260, in my opinion one of the top two or three IMAC airframes. As for Edge's they can be bit more of a challenge for sequence flying as compared to a Extra or Yak, but if an Edge (generally great for 3D) is what you want, go for it. Currently the Extra 260 and Yak 54 / 55 tend to be considered the top of both worlds, sequence and 3D. You might want to check out AeroWorks new 35% Extra 260 ARF. They are available directly from AeroWorks and Troy Built Models.

Tom Wheeler

mihelich 12-23-2005 08:09 PM

Well,
I have decided to order a Carden 35% Extra 330S today. [sm=biggrin.gif]
I just think the lines on a clean 330S are fantastic looking.
I really like building up my own kits so this is the main reason I went for the kit instead of an ARF.
I am also looking into trying to add a little more scale detail to the plane other than just a pilot and dash.
This should keep me busy thru the cold winter months.
I guess this is where the pickup truck is going to come in handy.

Tom Mihelich